Author Topic: Need older pix of certain cannons at Ft. Ticonderoga  (Read 627 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Need older pix of certain cannons at Ft. Ticonderoga
« on: July 12, 2008, 04:09:29 PM »
Visited Ft. Ticonderoga NY today specifically to study three early American bronze cannons I photographed there ca. 1986.  They were nowhere to be found.  The people I talked to there know nothing. 

They were rather plain,simply-shaped 6 and 12 pounders, no dolphins, no cast-in decoration, etc.  These stood out because they had simple desings, whereas most all the bronze guns at Ticonderoga are French or Spanish, have dolphins, and are quite "fancy."

These three were probably half of the surviving American bronze field guns of that period, so I wanted to measure them and take down any all markings.  Since now they are gone, the only thing I can do is try to find more photos of them that may have captured markings or design details.

Does anyone have pictures of any of those guns?

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Need older pix of certain cannons at Ft. Ticonderoga
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »
     Thought I was really onto something earlier, cannonmn.  I found a photo site with these two large bronze mortars in the same position that they were in on my visit in 1972, flanking the main entrance on the south side of the fort.  On the second page the photos turned into camping pictures showing people in 1700s period dress, etc. and then I noticed the date for those pics.  It was 2002.  So, between 2002 and our visit in June of 2007, they were moved south south east about 70 feet.  Mike and I checked all of our photos we took last summer, but you probably saw the same artillery yesterday.  If we ever run into any old, close-ups we will let you know.

Mike and Tracy

Taken by a passerby who was a little suspicious of our activities when I told him, "Pay no attention to that guy over there behind that other mortar with the come-along and ropes; he backed that Camry up real close to that mortar so we could study it while having a little lunch and our big cooler is in the trunk with the cold drinks in it." 

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline cannonmn

Re: Need older pix of certain cannons at Ft. Ticonderoga
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:23:53 AM »
Thanks for looking for them.