Author Topic: Richland Arms Texas New Army  (Read 4491 times)

Offline coltshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
Richland Arms Texas New Army
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
I need information on who manufactured the Remington replica for Richland Arms in the 1970 and 80s. I know its an Italian made weapon but was wondering who made it.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
Re: Richland Arms Texas New Army
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »
Most, if not all, Richland cap & ball revolvers were made by Armi San Poalo.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »
I better correct myself. A little more research indicates Armi San Poalo was the maker of Richlands Colt clones, but, the Remington clones imported by Richland were made by Armi San Marco.

Offline coltshooter2

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
Will Uberti nipples fit the cylinder?

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »
    The only Armi San Marco revolver I have is a Walker. The only other cap and ball I have that is not Uberti, is a 1851 Navy.  The threads are the same as in my Uberti square back Navy 1851, and turn in easily with my fingers, but the nipples on the Pietta measure about 45 thousanths (.540) longer than the Uberti (.493).  That should be accurate, as niether set were fired before I replaced them with Treso nipples.
    This could be enough to cause the hammer to not meet the nipple square, causing extra failures to fire. However, the stock Italian nipples are soft, and infamous for mis-fires anyway, which is why I always replace them when I obtain a new pistol.
     Not sure if Uberti nipples will fit your Richland 1858 or not, but as long as you have them out, I would suggest you replace them with high quality after market nipples (Treso or Ampco).

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:09:17 PM »
Cowpox , I have a Whitney revolver from Richland  Arms. Who  made them? Also, where did you get the information?
Thanks in advance, Mark
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:23:25 PM »
Elijah Gunn,
    Those were things I found on other black powder message boards and forums. Here is the link where I found a guy wondering who made his Richland 1858.  Half way down the page, there is a column of about a half dozen threads. In the third thread, the original poster says there is a stamp of ASM under the loading lever on his. Perhaps, coltshooter 2 can look under his loading lever, and let us know if the ASM is stamped on his as well. You might look there on your Whitney too.

http://members4.boardhost.com/blackpowder/msg/1205413996.html

I have been trying to find where (it was a different site) they were responding to a guy wanting to know who made his Richland 1851, and a couple of responders agreed Armi San Paolo had made most Richland cap and ball revolvers.
    I have spent considerable time trying to find that site again, but so far, no luck.
    I havn't been able to come up with any links that indicate who may have made your Whitney either, but look your's over for any of the following maker's marks. 

U inside a hex barrel muzzle = Uberti.    FAP inside a horizontal diamond = Pietta.  A palm tree inside a circle = Palmetto.

DGG in a circle, or a D with two Gs on top of each other = Armi San Paolo.  AC in a circle = Armi Sport. 

ASM (or on older ones, SM) = Armi San Marco.   DP in a circle = Petersoli.                                                                 

PR = an unknown maker.  Even the Reproduction Revolver Collectors Association is still trying to find out who they were ?

Hope you find a mark.  If not, the next time you disassemble your's for cleaning, look it over.
 In rare cases, some makers hide their makers mark under the trigger guard or pistol grips, when they knew the importer would be adding their logo.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:42:53 PM »
Thanks for the info , and the link. It's always nice to find more black powder sites. Yes, I will look the  Whitney over  very carefully  the next time it's apart.
Thanks very much.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline coltshooter2

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »
Found the palm tree in a circle on the cylinder. Looks like my Remington was made by Palmetto Arms. Hope Uberti nipples will fit it I ordered a set. I hope it wont be to hard to fir a couple of extra cylinders to the gun.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »
WHOA-UP there coltshooter2.
    As luck would have it, I picked up another cap & ball (Hawes 1851 Sheriff) today, and was putting in an order with Thunder Ridge for some nipples, when I noticed they offer two different sets for Italian made revolvers.
    M (metric) 6x.75 for Pietta /old Italian revolvers,  And  12x28 for Uberti /new Italian revolvers.
THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT !!!!

The two I switched nipples on for my reply to you, was a Pietta I bought 3 years ago (metric), and an Uberti I have had since the 70s or early 80s (also metric).

This sent my to my gun room to try a switch between the Pietta and an Uberti 1860 Army, I bought about 5 years ago.  THE NIPPLES DO NOT INTERCHANGE.

The metric (Pietta /old Italian)  are larger in diameter, so they won't even start into the Uberti cylinder.  However, the nipples for the Uberti (12 x 28) are smaller, so thread right into the Pietta cylinder.  Obviously, I didn't try to tighten them, but, if they did tighten, the threaded hole is still TOO BIG, and would be pointed right at your face, if the nipple BLEW OUT !!!!

Richland quit importing revovers in 1986, so, my guess is your 1858 comes under the old Italian category.

When you get your new Uberti nipples, MEASURE THE THREADS.  If they are smaller than the diameter on your old nipples, SEND THEM BACK, and order some for Pietta / old Italian revolvers. 

Offline coltshooter2

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »
Thanks! I will check them and if they are the wrong ones I will give them to a neighbor with a Uberti made 1851 Navy. Darn I need to sleep before typing.lol I was up over 24 hours when originally making this post.

Offline Flint

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
Most Italian revolvers other than Uberti have the nipple thread M6 x 0.75.  Uberti and the 2nd and 3rd gen Colts are #12-28. (M5.5 x 0.90).
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Mosby's Rangers 43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
    • VoyForums: Black Powder Message Board
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 06:11:37 AM »
Treso P/N for Uberti & ASM is 11-50-16 12x28 threads.
At Thunder Ridge Muzzleloading__  http://www.thunder-ridge.com
They also carry TRM 5011 cones they're brand.

SG
I Smoke Black Powder / Prefer an 1858 Remington
Voy.com/60048/
SASS# 19634