Author Topic: The .44 as a self defense weapon!?!  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
The .44 as a self defense weapon!?!
« on: December 14, 2002, 08:21:03 PM »
I like my .44's so much, I've actually taken to carrying my Redhawk, 4" barrel, as my sd piece.  I also have it matched up with a Marlin 1894S for a longarm.  I like the caliber for making 'big' holes if necessary, much like the .45ACP.  So accordingly, I've taken to carrying .44 SPECIALS instead of magnum loads for SD/CCW.  They act much like a .45ACP and the recoil is light enough for manageable followup shots.

So what's your take on choosing a .44 for such work?
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline DEPUTY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 04:50:22 AM »
my personal thought! if you can shoot it and hit with it so be it! enough said!  i often carry a smith model 57 in 41 mag that was customized by magnaport to a 3 inch barrel and a round butt and bobbed hammer! just an awesome piece of hardware

Offline Daveinthebush

Last I read!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2002, 06:47:48 AM »
Neither was high on the list.  The .44 mag. supposebly was to powerful for most to handle the recoil for a second shot and even though it had the most energy, it did not displace the energy in the target so was wasted.  The .44 Special ranked about 14-18th because it was not enough.

But you can reload and make it a great gun for self defense.  Then you have to worry about the lawyers and the using reloads issue. Were a little lucky up here, as when engaged in outdoor activities we can carry whatever.  So if I am protecting myself from black bears and grizz, do I have to reload with factory shells to shoot a person?

Personally I carry a 6" 629 with 310 hard casts and 22 grians of H110. Maybe the first one will blow through a person, oop's.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 03:48:05 PM »
:-D  :-D DEPUTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   YA VARMINT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...You been in my safe..aint ya......heheheheheheheheheh :eek:
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 05:33:04 PM »
i will never tell king :-D

Offline 1911crazy

Re: The .44 as a self defense weapon!?!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 05:00:20 PM »
Quote from: Plainsman
I like my .44's so much, I've actually taken to carrying my Redhawk, 4" barrel, as my sd piece.  I also have it matched up with a Marlin 1894S for a longarm.  I like the caliber for making 'big' holes if necessary, much like the .45ACP.  So accordingly, I've taken to carrying .44 SPECIALS instead of magnum loads for SD/CCW.  They act much like a .45ACP and the recoil is light enough for manageable followup shots.

So what's your take on choosing a .44 for such work?

I carry two redhawks in 44mg both in 7 1/2"bbl and 5 1/2"bbl with my reloads the 200gr JHP speer with 26grs of 296 is my choice for work. Of course I carry one at a time. Its backup for my 338, 30-06 or my 444 when bear hunting just for shooting coyotes its cheaper to shoot the handgun. I also carry it for self defense on my bike at night.
                                                                     BigBill :D

Big bores you have to love them!!!!!!!!

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Sounds good...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2003, 08:16:48 PM »
:D I'd expect a 44 Special to do fairly well.  You'd have the added benefit of practicing with that Redhawk a bit more for hunting or whatever you bought a 44 mag for...

P.S.
I took my S&W 44 mag Mountain Gun to Wild West Guns in Anchorage for a bit of 'smithing.  They machined the cylinder ($80) to accept their full moon clips.  Now I can carry whatever's most likely to be needed (i.e., 300 gr 44 mag in the woods...for lions, tiger, and bears...oh my :shock: ) and still have a clip or two with bird shot or reduced loads for grouse.
Isaiah 6:8

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2003, 05:43:27 PM »
Monte,
I actually tried to get into Chuck's store earlier this week.  It was closed for inventory.  The fella who taught my CCW class recommended him for exactly the same reason as you -- smooth as silk S&W actions.  I too like the older Rugers and have an early (SN 5XXX) Ruger Blackhawk, but it's in .357.  In answer to your question, I can still use the gun without the full moon clips -- the outer portion of the cylinder that wasn't machined is large enough.  If you're curious, the white-haired fella at WWG has the same gun in his shop -- calls it his flyfishing gun :wink:
Matt
Isaiah 6:8

Offline Boss Kongoni

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2003, 04:38:40 AM »
Big Bullets...you got to love them. :^)

Man vs. beast-

I carried a .44 ruger vaquerio in South Africa & in Elk/Bear country. I went to a rubber grip that cover the backstrap and with 320gr. HC Cor-bon it wasn't hard to get a second shoot off with realative accuratcy. And at 38+ oz. it wasn't a problem wearing it for 12-14 hours a day. I feel a good soild revolver is fine in the back country, very little to go wrong and besides if you have to defend your self against a preditor, reloading is an option anyway.

The downside was that it seemed trhat a few rounds shock that gun to core loosing most of it's screws.

I've since trade it and a redhawk for a Freedom Arms casull. When a full house load isn't need, Elephant stampeds not withstanding, a very hot .45 load can approach .44 mag power.

Had I ordered this one, I would have went withh .44mag, but the trade was too good to walk away from.

Man vs. Man -

You can shoot .44 spl & some "Light" .44 mag. loads that are on par-with .45 acp. and therefore should be more effective, God forbid you needed them to protect you & yours in the home.

In regaurd to the comment about the lower ranking of the .44 mag for SD, I'd agree if you taking in terms of all shooters.

Big Bore owners only come in two flavors. Ones that master the weapon and those that trade or sell them(Like my friend with the casull).

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2003, 06:22:08 PM »
I have both my redhawks sighted in for 100yds with magnum loads the 200jhp's.  Its just a matter of practice, practice and more practice!!! You just never know when you will need "magnum" performance???    
                                                                  BigBill

Offline Daveinthebush

Energy
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2003, 06:53:12 PM »
I think that you should switch to 300 hard cast.  That way you can shoot through about any part of the cheap cars that they make these days!  :lol:
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor