Author Topic: Revolver Or Auto For Concealed Carry?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline PawDaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
Revolver Or Auto For Concealed Carry?
« on: July 26, 2003, 11:58:03 AM »
What is your idea of the best carry gun; revolver or auto?

Why?
PawDaddy

Offline 1GLOCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 08:35:07 AM »
Anything you can shoot well and are comfortable with. I carry a G22 or G17 90% of the time but my hide-out gun is a 5 shot 38 snubby.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 11:51:52 PM »
both--jest remember which ya got.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 11:27:07 AM »
Either one - which ever you are most comfortable with. I carry a Glock 26 and a 1960's vintage S&W Mod 40 Centennial. Depends on how I have to conceal it. If I need to wear a belt holster, the little S&W seems to be a little thinner.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 01:52:18 PM »
Guys,
Carry at least one of each! There's my "always gun" and the other one that I make a concious effort to pack. I always have my P-32 and often I stick a snubbie somewhere when I want to travel light.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Highplainsman

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 09:28:47 AM »
:D Depends on which one you like and are comfortable with. I carried wheel guns and an occasional Government Modle 1911 for most of my life. Then Glocks came along and even tho it took me about ten years to decide a plastic pistol might work after all I am now conviced. Quite frankly with a high quality wheel gun or semiauto in a respectable caliber I would feel well armed! Pistols offer more rounds a flater profile and most of todays offerings are quite reliable. Personally although I still own and occasionally carry an airweight S&W I prefer the auto! 8)

Offline TimWieneke

• Avid Poster
    • http://pub53.ezboard.com/bprimalfires
auto/revolver
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 04:06:07 AM »
Good article this month by Massad Ayoob on gun jamming (I can't remember which mag at at the moment) that addresses this issue.  Basically, if you can put in the training for an auto, you would have alot of advantages - if not, you'd probably better stick to a revolver.  Alot of the issues of auto reliability in a defensive situation are due to operator error - errors that don't effect the operation of a revolver.

Tim

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/schwager/
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 07:29:12 AM »
Glock 27......and two 15 round magazines to back it up....... :eek:
Don't cry because its over - Smile because it happened!

Offline yotehunter

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 03:32:48 PM »
I have carried both but now stick with revolvers, I just like the ease of operation and the ALMOST total reliability of a revolver. If your gunna carry a semi auto you should find what ammo your gunna use and shoot hundreds of em to make sure its reliable.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Carry
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 04:00:06 PM »
I am a civy, my carry is usually restricated to my vehicle, unless we have a lot of gang activity going on. My first choice is a 44 sp snubbie with speed loaders. I also have a possible bag I through in the back seat with binoc's,camera, folding knife,1911-a1+ 6 clips, and cell phone, and snicker bars.
Jim

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 02:22:34 AM »
Dali Llama say that for individual willing to expend time training with semiautomatic and ensuring reliability of same, such weapon provide more ammunition capacity for encounter with nogoodnik.  Conversely, say Dali, person who not willing or able to spend time with carry gun and learn its nuances probably be better served carrying wheelgun. :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Savage

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 06:03:48 AM »
Revolver or auto for CCW?
Yes to both!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 12:34:16 PM »
Quote from: Savage
Revolver or auto for CCW?
Yes to both!
Savage
Both certainly have own place and purpose for concealed carry, say Dali Llama. :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline charlie47

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 07:48:28 AM »
:shock: In some states if you obtain your permit with a revolver, you are limited to carrying the revolver. If you test with an auto you can carry either.
Regards,
charlie47

Offline JohnClif

Revolver or auto?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 08:37:22 PM »
The revolver makes the best carry gun for a person with minimal handgun skills, who is not really into guns per se, and who is only going to seek the minimal amount of training.

The semiauto makes the best carry gun for a person with extensive handgun skills and training who is willing to practice all of the techniques required (IAD/RMD as well as shooting) regularly, who is physically in good shape (good grip), and who is willing to devote the time and effort to master the increased skillset required by the semiauto.

Frankly, given sufficient training, either gun will do the job.  Revolvers can be reloaded swiftly given a speedloader and some practice... but in ANY defensive situation be prepared to make do with the ammo in the gun.  Always carry at least one extra reload (speedloader or magazine) but don't rely on it as a crutch. You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight, and if you are staking your life on a high capacity magazine or the ability to get in a fast reload to make up for your misses you're going to die in a gunfight.

• Buy quality (whether revolver or pistol)
• Get a good strong-side waistband holster (NOT nylon!)
• Seek proper instruction on how to draw, fire, reload, and holster your weapon
• Don't consider yourself armed until you can hit what you aim at, under stress

If you can't hit a half-dollar-sized spot on a target at 15' with EVERY shot fired from your defensive handgun (slow fire with no time constraints) then you need to work on your shooting skills.

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2004, 02:26:59 PM »
I doubt that any real difference exists between the revolver and automatic for self defense of any kind, save for the remote possibility of some tactical discrepancies that may lean towards one or the other. I prefer the revolver after many years of carrying both action types with one type eventually winning me over for a variety of reasons. I would not say that my choice is superior to an auto, but for me, it offers more of what I expect from a self defense handgun. The man behind the gun, wins fights. The tools by which he accomplishes that are moot.

I must oppose the opinion that suggests that a semi-auto is more "a sophistcated shooter's gun" and that the revolver is basically intended for the "less able"...That is how the information came across. During my 13 years in LE while all the "other Hot-Shots" converted to the auto, I stuck with my d/a revolver and never last a match to any auto shooter. I was however, out-speed loaded by a few hundredths of a second by an auto shooter while shooting the "El Presidente". I loaded from a locked speed loader case and the auto shooter opted to not only unlock, but tuck the magazine inside his waistband! I could load then in 1.5 seconds consistently from last shot to first shot using HKS speed loaders and a S&W L frame 6 shot. That shoot-off took place at the Firearms Instructor course here in Washington State in 89.

Any suggestion that the auto is any improvement over a person who is properly trained in the D/A revolver is subjective speculation in my opinion.
There goes the only man that I ever respected. He's what every boy dreams of becoming when he grows up and what every man wishes he had been when he gets old...

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 03:23:08 AM »
It all depends on my mood. I trust both due to I shoot both consistently. I stay proficient with both, shooting at least once a week if not more. I am extremely knowledgeable in the operation of all my weapons, I have to be, due to I may have to relay on them to save my life or a loved one. But I have been know to carry both. I feel if you carry, you owe it to yourself as well as other to be proficient and knowledgeable in your weapon. Thanks for listening.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Revolver Or Auto For Concealed Carry?
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 08:59:44 AM »
Quote from: PawDaddy
What is your idea of the best carry gun; revolver or auto?

Why?

Opinions about this are like A@#$*⩽ everyone has one, they are all cracked, & they generally Stink!

Having said that what works for one may or may not work for another. I choose a revolver for several reasons:

Larger caliber, Simpler to operate, Original point & click interface, Easier learning use, Safer (IMHO), Less chance of AD, etc..........

Firepower DOES NOT win the gunfight, Tactics and Mindset DO!

CHECK YOUR SIX!  
[/b]

Offline NYH1

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 04:35:00 PM »
I carry either my Glock 22 or my Glock 27, both in 40S&W. :grin:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 12:55:05 PM »
If I had a small auto I'd probably carry it all the time, but for me, a revolver still works fine.  I carried one on duty for years, and while I love my autos, they're just too big to conceal easily.  Being four foot nineteen and somewhat stout, anything bigger than a wheelgun prints pretty easily, and there is also the comfort issue.  (if it ain't, I won't!)  Ballistically, the 38 is preferable to any 380 or 32, and given that most of my training centered around the revolver, it just makes more sense for ME.  Plus, most autos have big butts, compared to wheelguns, which can easily be round-butted.  My duty 38 wears a rubber concealment grip, and works fine in the holster or hidden.
PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Huk

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2004, 04:17:24 PM »
I carry an AMT .45 Backup.
It's dependable and smaller than a .38 snubbie.
May not be everyone's cup-of-tea but it works fine for me.

Huk :grin:
If you try to fail, and you succeed, which have you done?

Offline paladyn

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 11:43:39 AM »
It depends on the brand. I bought a brand new Taurus 617 2 inch .357 revolver, and the very first time I attempted to fire it, it failed to fire! A revolver! Plus when I finally did get it firing, it hurt the heck out of my hand after awhile.
My CCW is a Walther P99 now. I traded the 617 and another revolver in on it.
Browning Hi Power
Colt Commander
Springfield Armory 1911A1
Springfield Armory 1911A1 Compact

Offline jimmyp50

• Avid Poster
revolver or auto
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2004, 12:36:16 PM »
I have many samples of both.  Somehow or another, I always seem to have my Smith and Wesson titanium airweight with me most of the time.  I don't like holsters, so I use the clipdraw thing, the titanium/aluminum does not rust, a drop of Kroil here and there, a Wilson spring kit, hit a beer can with pretty good regularity at 7 yards.  Carry what you like, I carry what I can shoot, what works, what is unobtrusive.  Heavy carry guns eventually wind up staying at home.
Jimmyp50Georgia

Offline paladyn

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2004, 08:30:11 AM »
Well I didn't like the Walther either so I bought an old S&W M649 .38 special revolver. I like it much better for CCW.
Browning Hi Power
Colt Commander

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2004, 01:20:35 AM »
The general consensus is that a semi-auto, in most cases, is the more cocealable. The printing is less of a concern than a revolver.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline paladyn

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2004, 10:15:28 AM »
I have not found that to be the case in my situation. Several remarked when I carried a semi-auto concealed they noticed.

Since I started carrying a S&W 649 .38 special revolver however, noone at all has noticed it.
Browning Hi Power
Colt Commander

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2004, 10:34:29 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
The general consensus is that a semi-auto, in most cases, is the more cocealable. The printing is less of a concern than a revolver.
Blessings

The general consensus of whom?

Offline Lancel

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2004, 01:42:29 PM »
Definitely like both.

What a lot of folks don't realize is that a revolver often conceals better because the thickest part, the cylinder, can print as a arbitrary budge.  In a quality holster, a revolver simply disappears.

Also, there's a good chance that an encounter will be very close.  A revolver will still fire if pressed against someone in a struggle.

OTOH, autos can have an overall slimness and sometimes more ammo on tap.

That's why I like 'em both.

Larry

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
carry
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2004, 02:49:13 PM »
I am not to concerned about bulges or patterns. If I feel the need to carry and its not hot weather I carry a 1911 sob with a couple extra clips in the rear pocket. Hot weather Taurus 2" 44 sp rear pocket with the shirt pulled out, speed loader on the belt. normally I leave them in the vehicle, wife carries a snubby with speed loaders in her purse.
Jim

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: carry
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2004, 06:24:53 PM »
Quote from: Jim n Iowa
I am not to concerned about bulges or patterns. If I feel the need to carry and its not hot weather I carry a 1911 sob with a couple extra clips in the rear pocket. Hot weather Taurus 2" 44 sp rear pocket with the shirt pulled out, speed loader on the belt. normally I leave them in the vehicle, wife carries a snubby with speed loaders in her purse.
Jim

Jim:

How can your wife legally carry in her purse? I thought that Iowa doesn't allow CCW? (Sure hope that changes soon). My wife & I carry 24/7; Taurus® Mdl 617 for me & a S&W Airweight Mdl 37 for her.