Author Topic: .223 twist in a Model Seven?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Remfarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 twist in a Model Seven?
« on: July 15, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
 I have a synthetic stocked Model Seven in .223 Rem. I bought it used and beddded it with about 12lbs. pressure at forend tip. barrel is floated to about two inches ahead of recoil lug and it shoots like a house of fire. Three shot groups it will hold its own with any heavy varmint despite its skinny SS barrel. I mainly shoot 55gr. Hornadys.
  I want to know what is the twist rate of this gun. When did Remington go from 1in 12 to 1 in 9" twist? What about my Seven? Did Remington change it as well?
Remfarmer

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
Re: .223 twist in a Model Seven?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »
I don't know the twist rate on your rifle or when Remington changed their rate but you can simply check yours by using a tight fitting patch on a cleaning rod with a rotating handle. Insert in the muzzle(be careful of the crown) and mark a line paralell to the bore for about a foot or two. Then another mark just in front of the muzzle. Push in the rod being careful to allow free rotation of the rod. Stop when the line on the rod makes a complete rotation and make a third mark, again just in front of the muzzle. The distance between the marks is the twist rate. Many makers have gone to faster twists to allow the 223 to use the heavier bullet loads the arms has gone to to enhance long rang ballistics and performance against body armor..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline SharonAnne

Re: .223 twist in a Model Seven?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:09:48 AM »
according to the Remington web page, the Model 7 and Model 700s in .223 all have 1/12" twist.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson