Author Topic: Hunting Show and Shooting Shows  (Read 947 times)

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Hunting Show and Shooting Shows
« on: July 15, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »
What is your favorite? Any that you dislike? The reason for this post is in another forum members attacked hunting shows and such and some supported them. Personally I don't see a problem with some and I know the guys off of a few of them personally and its not what most people think.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Hunting Show and Shooting Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:19 AM »
I like watching hunting shows, beats fishing shows, reality TV and movies.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:11:06 AM »
I watch very little television.
At work the guys discuss different shows ect and I think some sound like they are worth watching but when I turn the thing on I rarely find anything that interests me!
I then turn it off and go do some reloading or mess with guns in some way!

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 05:21:26 AM »
I don't watch them but it's more a matter of timing.  If they're presented as what they are: entertainment I think they're okay.  Anything is more entertaining than Springer or Judge Judy. Last one I saw was nothing more than 30 minutes of talking commercials by whoever that tried to present himself as the do all, be all of hunting. I didn't like that.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 05:28:09 AM »
I'll usually prefer a hunting show to a shooting show.  Just as I typically prefer American Hunter to American Rifleman magazine

I rarely watch either types of shows now, though.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:17:05 AM »
Hunting shows.    Don`t really watch fishing shows that much as living in Fl  I get to fish 12 months out of the year...... almost.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 06:34:10 AM »
There are too many things that give me the opportunity to actually participate as opposed to setting on my fat butt being badgered to buy whatever useless product is being hawked in the name of sports.  As said earlier all I've seen are nothing but talking ads.  The only fishing show I ever saw that was worthwhile was a collection of Bill Dance bloopers.   :D 

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:38:20 AM »
Hunting shows.    Don`t really watch fishing shows that much as living in Fl  I get to fish 12 months out of the year...... almost.

Just got back from FL about a month ago and the fishing is great every were but Lake Okeechobee. I normally will watch one or two hunting shows like Eastman's or Mossy Oak Hunting the Country and then I turn it off because the rest seem to be boring.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:37:21 AM »
I like both contexts. 
I have come to the point I don't watch either very much.
The format of the shows themselves are oriented towards selling the sponsors products.  Then they break to the commercial itself.
It's like a commercial in a commercial.
" we are screwed "

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:12:29 AM »
some are good , others not so but that is my opinion and only means something to me !
if ya don't like one or all thats why they put the channel changer button on the tv dude !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 11:04:19 AM »
Speaking of Bill Dance, when I was living in Memphis, I told him I never got to watch his show 'cause I was always fishing. He said, "I can't imagine anybody sitting on their azz watching my show when they could be out fishing either". Then he tipped me a wink and said "but I'm glad they do."  :D

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:19:07 PM »
i used to watch the hunting shows on cable, i stopped about three years ago, its all just a big joke and commercial for the sponsors and their products, they kill alot of big deer but they don't tell you they are there hunting for free to make the T.V. show and dvd for sell later, the ranch or outfitter gettes a big T.V. show with one of these big name hunters, I booked a rio turkey hunt four years ago in Texas, the ranch was about 15,000 acres, one day it was storming and raining and we just rode around the ranch, on the back side of the ranch there was a 10' tall fence for miles, the guide said it was full of trophy deer, he said thats were they sell those big hunts like you see on T.V., when we got back to the ranch house that night they gave me the deer price list, no deer in the world is worth $5000 just to shoot it, but it comes with a free dvd of you shooting it, with your guide just like you see on T.V.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 05:47:09 AM »
ok guys its fake , so is bay watch , well most of um . its fun to watch when ya can't have your own       hunt !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 05:59:10 AM »
Great post and summary and analogy.
:)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 06:06:31 AM »
I really believe that most all shows on TV are fake, even the news (sometime)
and yes they are there to sell stuff, that is how they got there.
Some i like some i don't, some are VVVVVeeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyy canned
like the one where the African tracker has tracked the animal for miles sometimes trotting for a mile or more, but he catches up to the animal,and THE CAMERA MAN IS STILL WITH HIM, that camera man is in excellent shape. ::) ;D :o
but it is entertaining at 5:00am, with coffee.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 07:40:39 PM »
  I am like most of you, don't really care for hunting shows too much.  Hunting shows are more about the kill, not the hunt....not my cup of tea.  If instead, they had a do-it-yourselfer and followed him throughout the scouting and the season, I would probably be a loyal viewer.  A show like that, I could learn something. 

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 07:06:40 AM »
I like the QDMA shows and the Get in the Game shows they aren't like the other shows and tend not to focus on just the kill and you will learn other info from them.

Rick

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 07:02:07 AM »
Don't watch them.  Why watch them when I can be out hunting?  That's why I live in hunter paradise.  When I have to be home I'm at the range or reloading, or here at the computer.  Rog 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »
Don't watch them.  Why watch them when I can be out hunting?  That's why I live in hunter paradise.  When I have to be home I'm at the range or reloading, or here at the computer.  Rog 

Your one of the lucky ones. Right now one of the only things I could hunt is Hogs and that's a 3hr drive. The way diesel prices are I won't be hunting them combined with the heat. (105 degrees today)

Rick