Author Topic: a simple way to bring bench rest accuracy hunting with you..  (Read 1118 times)

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
 hope this works for others as it has worked for me.. im pretty fair group shooter at the range ,,but i was way less accurate in the woods.. heres what worked for me..
   take a sand bag 3/4 or less full and couple of bungi cords..wrap the cord around the tree and the sand bag .. it should be so the bag will double over the cord . presto you have an steady sandbag in the woods.. the smaller the tree the more swivel range u have..2 cords an u can use a big tree ..just what ever suits your situation..
   man im real happy this worked for me as my fine motor skills are just not good enough
to use any shooting stick or anything.....hope this helps anyone experiencing deteriating fine motor control,as i am..

Offline gwindrider1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: a simple way to bring bench rest accuracy hunting with you..
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:50:42 AM »
I wouldn't want to carry a sandbag up the mountains that I hunt! ;D

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:50:01 PM »
gwindrider1 - yep, that would add a few more pounds for sure.  A trick I picked up long ago was to use something from your pack to substitute for the sandbag, or a pack itself.  Sometimes even a folded scarf and the bungee cord techinque, or rope, works to give you the same steady woods rest.  If you carry a drag rope you can use that - tie or loop one end around a tree and make a noose an inch or so down that you can loop your hand or wrist through to steady the rifle; this has worked for me on a couple of long shots.  Mikey.

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »
An old canvas shot bag or a bag made out of the leg of a worn out pair of jeans with velcro closure on the open end can be filled in the field and dumped. All you have to carry is the MTY bag.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
I live on a farm and have a bench bag filled with wheat, much lighter than sand and cheeper than rice.

Offline 454Puma

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 07:24:27 PM »
Rock , tree , backpack thats usually all I need to make a good shot! If I don't feel confident in the shot I wait until I can get a good rest.
One shot , One Kill

Offline Varmint Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »
Tall Harris bi-pod and a sitting or kneeling position is all it takes. Very portable and fast to deploy.

It also stands the rifle up off the ground when you're not inclined to hold it for long periods of time.