Author Topic: cutting off a fluted barrel - how to finish aesthetically??  (Read 938 times)

Offline DropTheHammer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • http://users.zoominternet.net/~flyfishr
I have a SS fluted encore barrel i want to cut off and re-crown. Problem is the length i want it cut off to would be down into the fluted section. How can i finish the cut off muzzle to look right regarding the fluting?

My thought is to turn the barrel down even with the bottom of the flutes up about a 1/2 inch from the muzzle, and then radius it back up to the full fluted diameter.

Anybody ever seen this done? Have a better approach?  Got any pictures of such a thing?

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
Re: cutting off a fluted barrel - how to finish aesthetically??
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:26:33 PM »
Good question!  Probably not alot of options, but your idea is good.  Another thought would be to turn 3/4 " section at muzzle down just smaller than flats diameter, and knurl a portion of the smaller diameter, then relieve the knurled section, fore and aft about .050", then chamfer the muzzle.  I made a screw-in brake with a knurled section & it didn't look anywhere near as odd as it sounds.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:22:59 PM »
I think I may turn down the end and thread it for a short flash hider or bucket type muzzel break.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:56 AM »
Come back 4 to 6 inches and do a gentle taper to terminate at the bottom of the flutes at the muzzle.

DonT

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »
You could also just taper the flutes at about 45 degrees from perpendicular to the bore and give it a gear segment look. A flash hider would be OK or perhaps just thread and make a knurled cover cap for the threads..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:55:42 AM »
My suggestion would be to turn down an appropriate length at the end and thread it. Then make a piece to screw onto it and flute it to match the barrel flutes so the flutes terminate normally. If done precisely enough it will be very difficult to tell the piece has been added and it will just look like it was always like that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:03:33 AM »
You will have to get the barrel bead blasted to match the rest of it.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline DropTheHammer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • http://users.zoominternet.net/~flyfishr
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »
picked up the shortened PH .243 barrel tonight.  Cut down from 28" to 24" and re-crowned.  The muzzle taper don't look too bad.  Like the looks and the way the rifle handles now.  Can't wait to get to the range and see if it shoots.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 05:56:02 AM »
Looks good to me. :) A while back I saw a picture of a fluted barrel that looked like it had been cut off. They just rounded off the barrel end with a nice radius where they cut it at. It looked like it had a proper crown, similar to yours. I have thought of that , but thought it would look odd. After seeing it, I did not think it looked too bad.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline jrkrk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 05:52:56 PM »
Nice job