Author Topic: Scopes With No Adjustment!!!  (Read 1011 times)

Offline whitfang

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Scopes With No Adjustment!!!
« on: July 17, 2008, 06:55:26 AM »
Found some vintage scopes on Ebay that do not have any adjustments - no adjustment turrets at all, just a straight tube!!!

Bausch&Lomb and Stith have 4x rifle scopes like this;  one explained that you need scope base/rings that have an adjusting ability.

I never knew scopes like this ever existed.

Does anyone know where you can get the adjustable base/rings?

Encore / Mathews / Rem870 / Savage 10ML

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Scopes With No Adjustment!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »
Ebay itself would be a good place to look.  You could also try Sarco or Numrich Gun Parts Corp.

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:10:27 PM »
No luck yet.

Does anybody know if they have a term for this type of scope or the mount?

'elevation and windage adjustable scope mount bases' is just not very catchy.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »
I bought a set of these mounts back in 1966 and I think I still have them. If I can rember in the morning I`ll take a look see and see if I can find them.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:17:13 PM »
unertl style rings the brass scope in on a mosberg 22 the other rifle is a schutzen benchrest gun.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »
  I once owned a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 2.5 to 8 power scope (on a pre '64 mdl 70) that had the same "make" of mounts with the adjustments on the mounts only. The neat thing was the scope could be put on and removed without changing impact (to any degree) and the scope was very rugged in that there were not internal adjustments to come loose. I sold mine through the "Gun List"; might be worth a look.
  It looks like the mounts on the Mossberg and "Martini" action shown by Torpedoman is a Unertle (not sure about spelling). I haven't seen any of these rigs since the sixties and would be surprised if anyone is selling any of these models. You might check with Dixie Gun Works, since they once sold a straight tube for some of their "Civil War" replica "sniper" rifles (Whitworth).

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:38:20 AM »
At first, I was just astounded that these scopes even existed.  But, when you think about it, these represent the steps in technical scope development.   What is amazing that they lasted well into the 1960's.

All those civil-war-era scopes were just straight tubes.  Probably (and I'm just theorizing here) they were first adjusted by shims for elevation and 'drifting' for windage.  Then somebody invented the screw-type adjusters we see here.

Unertl looks like it was a big proponent of these scopes - Ebay has a couple Unertl scopes and some Unertl base parts for sale.  They look like expensive, high-quality units.   Is Unertl out of business?  Their website http://www.unertloptics.com/ is not working.

I'm curious though, when you screw an adjuster in or out, is the other side spring-loaded or something to take up the slack?

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:45:33 AM »
I have a couple of old Weaver M8 scopes that have no internal adjustment.
I did put one on a Rem 700 in Holland rings just for fun. Believe it or not the scope is dead on at 100 yards. I tried it on another rifle also but was not as lucky.
In 3 years of owning the Weaver scopes I have not found the correct rings. When I do see the rings for sale there is already a scope in them being sold as a package.

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 11:38:48 AM »
Unavailability of the adjustable rings is going to wreck my plan.  Namely,  to get one of these quality outfits cheaply.

There's a Stith-Kollmorgen 4x scope on Ebay that looks nice, and it's only $20!

But if you can't buy the adjustable rings, or if the adjustable rings are expensive, it won't work out.

Dixie Gun Works has some rings, but Hairtrigger  is correct - usually the rings come with a scope.  And most of the Dixie rings are not click-adjustable.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »
The quality of optics has greatly improved since that time as well as the coatings...You will be better served with today's scopes...

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
I see the click adjustment important if you want to adjust for elevation or windage and then return it to zero.
I prefer to hold over most often

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »
The quality of optics has greatly improved since that time as well as the coatings...You will be better served with today's scopes...

True
BUT
Some rifles just look better with the "right" scope. On some of my old varmint rifles the old scopes are just fine as they are not out in foul weather. That's the nice thing about woodchucks..... they are easiest to find when the weather is nice and old scopes are fine for most of the shots at reasonable distances

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 01:55:32 PM »
The W&E adjustable Stith mounts are one type. Good luck finding one for your gun.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 02:56:20 PM »
 6X short Malcolm including mounts and bases $325 at Leatherwood Scopes.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 06:36:03 PM »
if it is a 3/4 tube size old mossbreg mounts will work.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »
BALFOR

This type of scope, at least for BAUSCH & LOMB, is apparently called a BALFOR scope.