Author Topic: Charter Arms  (Read 923 times)

Offline Preacherman

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Contributor
Charter Arms
« on: July 20, 2008, 02:05:32 PM »
Any body got any thoughts on charter arms.Looking for a short barrel carry gun in 357 or 38.If you could give me some honest feedback.
THANKS
Preacherman
Acts10:13

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Re: Charter Arms
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 03:12:08 PM »
I've got an older .38 Undercover that works great.  It is more accurate than I expected, the trigger is fantastic in single-action and good in double, and the sights are actually usable.  It also fits in any holster made for the S&W Chief's Special.

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
 ??? i have no idea why my post was put in the trash? when the question was
Posted by: Preacherman 
Insert Quote
Any body got any thoughts on charter arms.
And those were my thoughts.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 04:08:04 AM »
I think Charter Arms guns are "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get". Some people praise them but I've had a couple of Bulldogs which just didn't satisfy me at all, even after quite a bit of work. I think they are a rough and flimsy gun, poorly designed and poorly built, I'd not trust them.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 06:16:35 AM »
From 1995-98 the company was run by an accountant who never fired a gun. The current owner/President, Dee Ecker, has been in charge since 2002, and has worked hard at making a good quality product. I have heard good stuff from others here on GBO (esp. 44 Man) and if I were in the market for an inexpensive .38/.357 or .44 Special, I'd give 'em a try.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »
There is no post of yours in the trash can. If fact there is no post by you other than this one regarding this thread anywhere on the site. My guess is that you attempted to post and someone else had posted while you were typing. Had you taken the time to notice it would have told you that and told you that you must hit the POST button again for it to take. It would have suggested to you that you might want to read that new post prior to posting yours. If you do not again hit POST that post is lost to cyberspace not to the trash can.

Yup been there done that got the t-shirt so I know of what I speak. :-[

??? i have no idea why my post was put in the trash? when the question was
Posted by: Preacherman 
Insert Quote
Any body got any thoughts on charter arms.
And those were my thoughts.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline superdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »
8   Test Section / The Trash Can / Re: Charter Arms  on: July 11, 2008, 12:12:28 PM 
how much is a decent price ? around here you can get a used smith 642 for $325 all day long. haven't owned a charter arms personally but have handled and shot a few wasn't my cup o tea . superdown

this was my post i clicked on my profile the looked at my recent post's and found that it said trash can in the header so i was curious what happened it did not show the familiar "someone posted the same time you did " :-\

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »
Weird. I called myself doing the same and failed to see it. Maybe I better go get my eyes checked again.  :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cayoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 02:26:55 AM »
Well I'm hearing good things about the new Charter Arms and am very very strongly considering the new .44 spl.  A guy was nice enough to post a pic of one along side his 642 and they were the same size (also about the same weight--OUCH!).  So I'm thinking on getting that instead of a 642 for ankle and pocket carry.

Does anybody here have any experience with the new ones?

Oh...and btw....lets not have any more bad talk about accountants eh? :D
Thanks from the Frozen Northwoods!!!

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son.  I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:11:06 AM »
Nope, that was me. I started a thread about two weeks ago. I had an opportunity to get an  anib for my wife at a give away price, but the man traded it to a pawn shop for an SKS before I could get my hands on it, so I deleted the thread..
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »
I'm not sure if I've seen the photo but to be realistic you CANNOT put five .44 special rounds in a cylinder any smaller than the K-frame and that sure leaves darn little metal between the chambers and the outer walls. No way it's same size as a J-frame like the 642 it would have to be at least K-frame size minimum and perhaps larger.

The 642 is an airweight so no K-frame size gun regardless of what it's made of is going to be as light.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline superdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 11:37:59 AM »
Nope, that was me. I started a thread about two weeks ago. I had an opportunity to get an  anib for my wife at a give away price, but the man traded it to a pawn shop for an SKS before I could get my hands on it, so I deleted the thread..
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      :-[ now i see that makes sence i guess i just got them mixed up.

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 03:28:51 AM »
The original post stated he was interested in a 357/38.........using that info , I'd look into a Smith 686-7 , I believe that's the correct model , a 686 with the 7 hole cylinder in stainless with a 2 1/2 " barrel.  Probably more pricey , but you'd get it back in resale.  Also maybe quit a bit heavier , a good holster will help take care of that.  I'm usually a Ruger type of guy ....but honestly I'm not sure what Ruger is offering in the shorter barrels....and the extra round could be a "life saver". :D

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 08:10:52 AM »
Well, everybody knows I love my Charters!  As for size Graybeard, you can see by the picture, there's not much difference!  The cylinder of a Charter .44 might be more the size of a 6 shot Detective Colt but I'd have to have both and mike it.  I can use all the same holsters for S&W 'J' frames for my Charter .44.  The .44 Charter is on the right.  (and YES, they are ALL loaded)  Love that gun!  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!