Author Topic: Close focus scope- Swift or Burris?  (Read 552 times)

Offline shooter6br

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "Keep up the good fight"God bless America
Close focus scope- Swift or Burris?
« on: July 23, 2008, 07:20:21 AM »
Since I shoot mainly 50 yrds at the range with my 45-70 (cast loads Trapdoor pressures) I need a scope with an objective down to 50yrs or less. This leads my into Airgun/ RF scopes. Two have gotten my attendion. Swift 4 to 12. and Burris 3 to 9 compact. Also looked at Leupood.Both the Burris and the Leupold are about $90 bucks more than the swift. I plan to put this scope on a Ruger NO 1. Any thoughts?  My dad say" Buy the best you can afford and cry only once" Thyanks  Rick

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: Close focus scope- Swift or Burris?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »
 Look at witch one has the best FOV and warrenty. Let us Know.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »
If you are going to only shoot at 50 yards, then a shot gun scope may work for you. They are focused in at 50 yards, usually no adjustment for any thing else, but will work out to longer distances if you keep your eye centered in the lens. They some times have more eye relief too (some where around 5"). I think this is especially applicable for a heavy recoiling gun. You will not need a high powered scope for this duty a 4X would be plenty, I have a straight 2 1/2X on a 44 Mag for this same kind of work. If you want a variable, then get it 2.5 X 5 or 2 X 7 some thing on that order. They usually have a bigger field of view than a rifle scope, because they are made for work up close. They are usually ruggedly built and will take recoil very well. Your dad has given you good advice, buy the best scope you can afford, you will not be sorry. I have replaced several scopes in recent years with better quality ones. A good quality red dot might also work for you. Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 221fireball

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:56:11 AM »
Midsouth has a close out on a shotgun/muzzleloader 1.75-4x scope for 89.09 order#027-731422mo. I have one got it on my shotgun has been great. This makes a good short range scope that later you could put on a brush gun or muzzleloader. I assume you were using this for rimfire now. 

Offline 221fireball

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:59:05 AM »
i just reread your post your using a 45-70! scope will still be OK

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 04:16:24 AM »
I'd put a low power (1.5 to 2.5x) shotgun scope on it.  The parallax will be set at 50 yards, and due to the low power, the minimum focus distance will be well under 50 yards.  As you go up in power, the minimum focus distance increases unless you have an adjustable objective scope.  Also, how much magnification is needed at 50 yards?  Have you considered a good red dot sight?