Author Topic: S&W 99-45 and lead bullets  (Read 613 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
S&W 99-45 and lead bullets
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:29:33 AM »
My wife has a 99/45 and we've been shooting standard ball ammo(FMJ). I know that you'er not supposed to shoot lead out of a Glock, but couldn't find anything in the owners manual on the Smith and lead. Do any of ya'll use lead out of yours?

HWD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: S&W 99-45 and lead bullets
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:39:02 AM »
HWD:  I don't quite understand what you mean about not shooting cast from a Glock, or how that would affect a S&W.

I have heard that polygonal rifling may not be the most conducive to shooting cast but I fail to understand why you couldn't use cast gas-checked bullets with either pistol.

Is there something about the Glock rifling or the rifling in the S&W 99 that causes concern????

If there is something about the Glock rifling that causes cast boolets to fail to shoot accurately. 

I seriously doubt that a premier American handgun maker would ever say 'don't shoot cast in my guns', if ya know what I mean.................... Mikey.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 04:11:22 AM »
Mikey,

I have told by more than one person, that lead isn't supposed to be used in the factory Glock barrels. Supposedly, there's something different about the rifling. All of the guys who passed on this info actually have aftermarket barrels that they use for lead. Maybe they were blowing hot air, but inquiring minds want to know.

I hadn't considered gas chacks. Don't know that much about them. I have the chance to get my hands on some cast 230s and this prompted my question concernig this Smith. I was only using the Glock as an example.

Thanks,
HWD

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 06:56:55 AM »
The only problem with gas checks is the cast bullet has to be made for gas checks.  The Glocks; as mentioned above have polygonal rifling and lead bullets tend to shoot less accurate and the barrels gather lead residue.  Aftermarket barrels are usually standard rifling and handle lead as well as any traditional barrel.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:03:02 PM »
Just did a quick review of the Glock owner's manual. May have missed it, but nowhere in there did I see anything about shooting lead bullets in the Glock. Just that the use of reloaded ammo will void the warranty. I've always replaced the factory barrels on my game Glocks to cut rifiled ones mainly due the the better chamber support on aftermarket barrels. Have to admit I also shoot mostly lead bullets as well. The only one I kept the factory barrel in was a 21 I carried for duty. I haven't heard anything about problems with lead bullets in the Smith 99.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »
One of my shooting buddies had his Glock blow up from shooting cast lead bullets in his, I have heard that it causes high pressure with the factory barrel.  Brownells sells after market barrels that will shoot the lead.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »
Hey guys - I'm having a thought about this.  It ain't painful so I thought I would pass it on.  Here's the thought::  Glocks are known to last about forever and are supposed to shoot a billion boolets before ya gotta fix anything, which also means the barrels should be pretty (dang, darn) good.  Glock has used the polygonal rifling so maybe that adds life to a service pistol barrel, which menas that rifling differences or not, those barrels have to be built for long (like a billion rounds or so) use. 

Now here in the US lots of us bore lapp our rifles and pistols.  If Glock or the polygonal rifling guys advocate against the use of cast bullets so as not to build up dirt, then maybe that rifling can benefit a bit by lapping to take some of the rough edges off.  We do a lot of that with rifle barrels that come rough from the factory and I have done that with some pistol barrels and have always seen an improvement in accuracy when using cast (jacketed shoot better too).  A military pistol isn't necessarily built for accuracy and since the Hague or Geneva Convention banned lead bullets for military use, the use and accuracy of cast bullets is not a manufacturing concern - hence maybe rough riflling not so conducive to shooting cast bullets accurately which lead to the original and painless thought that possibly the Glock barrels, as well as that S&W barrel might benefit from bore lapping and shoot cast slugs better.  So that was my thought all rolled into one.....

HWD:  if you are just wondering how well those 230 gn casst slugs will shoot in your 99/45, then get some a give it a try - that's about the only way I can think of to find how how cast bullets shoot.  Do yourself a favor first though:  group the pistol with your current jacketed ammo or with the most accurate jacketed ammo you can find, then shoot your cast loads and see how they compare.  If cast shoot OK but you think they can be more accurate I would try bore lapping before spending the $ for a new barrel.  Drop on down to Veral Smith's Forum further on down the forum list here at Graybeard's and read what he says about lapping, it might help that 99 shoot better. 

Chris D:  Yep, they blow up ocassionally and this has happend more often with the Glocks in 40 S&W caliber but it isn't the fault of the gun, it is the ammo that has caused those failures (or the folk shooting the reloads).  A squib load caught in the barrel during rapid fire drills is a prime cause of the following round blowing the barrel.  Also, the 40 is a high pressure round in a short case and reloading errors can cause serious spikes in pressure.  However, all that being said, you have to look at the hard evidence in every situation before making a judgement and the sheer statistics on the #s of Glocks and the amount of ammo they use up speaks much louder for the gun itself than for some of the concerns.  Just a thought - when was the last time anyone told you about a 1911 45 barrel blowing, or someone doubling up on a squib load; probably happens a lot more than we think....  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
I have a sister gun - Walther P99 in 40SW and use lead bullet reloads in it a lot (though I don't shoot near as much as many on this forum). Rifling is conventional and I haven't seen any lead build-up troubles with good loads and bullets.  Its my understanding that shooting cast in the Walther is ok.  I too have read / heard the warnings regarding lead in Glocks but can't remember where or who.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA