Author Topic: looking for a new ccw..Ruger SR 9 or XD 45  (Read 1091 times)

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
looking for a new ccw..Ruger SR 9 or XD 45
« on: July 26, 2008, 05:16:15 AM »
I've been considering getting a different CCW.  I've been looking at the Springer XD-45 with a 3" barrel or  a Ruger SR-9....I don't want to get into the caliber issue... nor manufacture....out of the 2 I listed, which ones does anyone have any experience with.  I have a 1911 / 45 and have had 9mms... can shoot both.  The 1911 is just too heavy to carry....my pants end up around my knees !  Don't like shoulder rigs, prefer behind the back carry.  Any thoughts or advice...........Thanks, Irold   (couldn't find anything on the SR-9 with the search )

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: looking for a new ccw..Ruger SR 9 or XD 45
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:31:33 AM »
Can't offer any first hand insight as I have never owned either of the subject pistols. Having carried handguns for over 40yrs for personal protection and for a living, I can offer some general observations. Thin and light are where it's at for concealability. The SR9 appears to be a little thinner and less blocky than the XD, probably a little lighter too. Both are double stacks so they are still a little thick for concealment wtihout a cover garment. There are better choices from a concealability standpoint, but as you are not open to other options I won't bore you with them. As a defensive handgun, either one of your choices would work well.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 02:04:33 AM »
Thanks , Savage , appreciate the feedback...I didn't mean to come off as being so opinionated , so many times we get way off topic , I had my reasons for wanting a 45 or 9mm and not a 380 or 40....And I am just a little bullheaded ::). I've had good luck with my Rugers and Springers....the cust service from Springfield was topnotch.  Your right , the Springer is a little thick for concealed carry , especially where I prefer to carry.  Maybe someone else will jump in with some info on the SR9.   Thanks again, irold

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »
I have the XD in a 4" and not the 3" but I would still have to pick the XD. I have no problem with the Ruger guns or the Ruger name but I would rather trust my life to a .45 than a 9mm. JMO!

Navylawdog

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »
navylawdog , do you carry the XD concealed ?  How do and/or where do you carry ?  With my 1911 I get a lot of muzzle flip , hard to get a "double tap " when and if needed. Hows the XD along those lines ?  That's why I was considering a 9mm , I can control it a little better.  Course we're getting into the old argument of one well placed shot or half a dozen scattered .  Thanks , IROLD

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 07:24:58 PM »
Since I have had several Rugers over the years and had satisfactory results I thought I had the best gun for the money.  After buying my first XD and then the second and then the third, I am convinced they are a better firearm than the Ruger.  Each of mine are very accurate.  I have a XD Subcompact 9 MM and a 4" barrel XD40 and a 4" barreled XD45.     For non concealed carry, I primarily carry the 40.  The home defense gun is the 45 but for the concealed carry and no print, I carry the XD 9MM.   

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »
navylawdog , do you carry the XD concealed ?  How do and/or where do you carry ?  With my 1911 I get a lot of muzzle flip , hard to get a "double tap " when and if needed. Hows the XD along those lines ?  That's why I was considering a 9mm , I can control it a little better.  Course we're getting into the old argument of one well placed shot or half a dozen scattered .  Thanks , IROLD

To answer your question no I don't carry it concealed. I haven't gotten around to getting a license yet. Plus I am trying to get a job with a local or government law enforcement agency so then I won't need one. But I would think that you could comfortably carry it in a behind the back horizontal holster comfortably and in a shoulder holster in the winter time no problem. I do have to admit that the little 3" 9mm XD might be the way for you to go though. The .45 does have quite a bit of muzzle flip. I wouldn't say it is as bad as the 1911 because of the shorter barrel and lower profile. But think seriously about the short 9mm if you are worried about the concealability and recoil it might be your best bet as far as the XD is concerned.

Navylawdog

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 12:57:54 PM »
Thanks everyone. appreciate the opinions !   irold