Author Topic: What is the best scope for an inline muzzleloader?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline youthpastorjon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
What is the best scope for an inline muzzleloader?
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »
Just curious what you guys use.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: What is the best scope for an inline muzzleloader?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:17:37 AM »
I have a Weaver 3-9x38mm V-9 Duplex Hunting Riflescope with standard Weaver brand high rings and Weaver brand base installed on my blue 26" T/C Encore 209x50 muzzleloader.

My results were 3 Pyrodex pellets and a sabot 240 grain Hornady XTP pistol bullet.  I sighted in at 3 inches high at 100 yards and at 200 yards I was approx 4 inches low.  I know now I can simple hold on hair out to 200 yards with complete confidence.

yooper77

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:01:18 AM »
A inline scope!   ;D

I have a 2.5x Simmons on my T/C Firehawk.  After the first time at the range, I noticed that the underside of the scope was sooty, so I placed a piece of black electrical tape on the bottom half of the tube so it won't be permanently discolored.  Other than that, it works well.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:11:19 AM »
The one that I have found to work well is the Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 , it has a nice 3' eye relief so no cut forhead and can be dialed down to a lower power for close in shots or up for longer ones , the glass is very clear and the price is less than $100 .

I have had this scope on my Huntsman for over 2 years now with not the first problem even when shoot ing full power loads , it holds zero and is very repeatable from an ajustment stand point . well worth taking a look at in MHO .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline LHitchcox

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:19:32 AM »
I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on my Omega and a 3-9x40 Pentax Gameseeker on my Sidekick. I like the clarity of both. The Prostaff cost me $140 OTD and  the Gameseeker was a Christmas present, but I think it is about $110 OTD.

Leon

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »
I personally like the 2 1/2 X Leupold. It will give you a good point of aim as far as the muzzle loaders will shoot, it small, lite and has a large field of viesion.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »
Depends on a few things. Do you want the BDC or something simllar? State Regs? Price?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline youthpastorjon

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:49:38 AM »
Depends on a few things. Do you want the BDC or something simllar? State Regs? Price?
Well, it is legal in my state.  BDC is questionable.  I don't see much use in them where I live.  Price-I would have to say $200 ish at the max. 

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 09:28:14 AM »
I have a Kronus 4X that has taken the brunt of many 120 grain 50 cal loads and never missed a beat. Maintained zero.
cost me about $75.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 10:47:25 AM »
Well, it is legal in my state.  BDC is questionable.  I don't see much use in them where I live.  Price-I would have to say $200 ish at the max. 
I would go with something like a Nikon Pro Staff. A Omega will run you about $250 and you will need 150 grains of black power and a 250grain sabot.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »
It's pretty tough to beat the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 even at 2 to 3 times the money.  You don't need any more than 80 grains of GOEX 3F or a sub for good accuracy and plenty of killing power.

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~