Author Topic: Caribou slaughter leaves calves stranded  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Caribou slaughter leaves calves stranded
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:58 AM »
No surprize here!  The same thing happened in Winter of 1977 or '78.  The hunters would go out on snow machines, find a bunch of caribou and shoot as many as they could.  They would take home all they could, then go back for the rest.  If they found more caribou closer to the village though, they shot them so they wouldn't have to haul the meat so far, and left what they had originally shot to rot.  Come Spring and there were piles of dead caribou all over the place.  About the same time the Arctic caribou herd population took a nose dive is why Fish & Game was up there checking things out.  Otherwise no one would have known....

-WH-

Caribou slaughter leaves calves stranded
Meat from at least 60 of 120 carcasses wasted by village hunters

By JAMES HALPIN
jhalpin@adn.com

Published: July 29th, 2008 12:02 AM
Last Modified: July 29th, 2008 01:37 AM

Hunters from the villages of Point Hope and Kivalina are suspected of massacring more than 100 caribou and leaving at least half of them to rot on the tundra earlier this month, according to Alaska Wildlife Troopers.

Investigators arriving at the scene found a total of 120 carcasses scattered along a 40-mile trail about 25 miles east of Point Hope, prompting them to call the killings "by far the worst case of blatant waste" they have ever seen, according to a trooper spokesperson.

The meat from at least 60 animals had been either partially wasted or not even touched, troopers said. Most still had their developing antlers intact. Calves were left stranded, some still trying to suckle milk from the decomposing cows two weeks after the slaughter.

Troopers have so far identified five suspects and think there could be many more, but the investigation has been stymied by an apparent lack of cooperation from village officials, troopers spokeswoman Beth Ipsen said. "In a community that size, it's hard to not know what's going on, but they refused to come forward with that information," Ipsen said. "We wish we had more cooperation from the community, and it's disappointing."

At a meeting between troopers and elders last week, investigators showed elders photos of the bulls, cows and cows with calves that had been left to waste as they explained why they were there and appealed for cooperation, Ipsen said.
"Even the elders were pretty stunned by this much waste," she said. "When we had a community meeting and showed them the photos, the room went silent."

But when investigators returned Sunday evening, no names had surfaced. All of the suspects have been identified because of troopers' police work, she said. The suspects, who range in age from 17 to 25, have not yet been charged because the cases were being forwarded to the district attorney's office for review.

Officials in Point Hope could not be reached for comment Monday. Last week, as news of the slaughter began to leak out, Point Hope Mayor Steve Oomittuk said in an interview that the town would not tolerate the killings and that it was contrary to the villagers' subsistence lifestyle. He said the town was committed to finding out who was responsible.

Point Hope is an Inupiat Eskimo village of 700 people 330 miles southwest of Barrow, an area considered one of the longest continuously occupied in the state.

Like other area Bush communities, the village relies heavily on the 377,000-strong Western Arctic Caribou Herd, which passed through an area about 25 miles to its east at the beginning of the month, according to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
The killings took place July 4-8 -- during the open hunting season when residents are allowed five caribou per day, Ipsen said.
Troopers in Kotzebue didn't get the report of the mass killings until July 16, and three investigators arrived in the village three days later to begin combing the area by helicopter and all-terrain vehicle, she said. It was clear that multiple hunting parties were involved and they were from the area -- there is no indication air taxis or other transporters were in the field at the time, she said.
In the end, investigators were able to confirm at least 60 of the 120 caribou had been wasted.

"There could have been more," Ipsen said. "The other ones were so heavily scavenged and eaten that we couldn't tell."
A motive for the killings remains unclear.

Troopers are asking for the public's help in identifying suspects. Troopers in Kotzebue can be reached at 1-907-442-3222. Anonymous tips can be called in to the Alaska Wildlife Safeguard hotline at 1-800-478-3377.

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline youthpastorjon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Caribou slaughter leaves calves stranded
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:51:19 AM »
That's messed up.  The sad thing is that the ethical hunters don't ever make the news.  Everyone knows about the sickos out there that give us bad names. I am speachless after reading your post.  If you have no respect for the animal you are hunting then you should give up hunting. 

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:00:03 AM »
That's sad.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:01:24 AM »
The things is, this is just a drop in the bucket.  Yeah, it was over a hundred caribou, but I am pretty sure there were a hundred more - in smaller instances around Alaska also this year wasted....  It really is sad.  Of course there has to be something big for F&G to react to it.  
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:07:30 AM »
Those aren't hunters either, they're just killers.

I definitely don't want this to sound like a racial insult at all, but what happened to the whole "one with the earth" stuff of these tribes?
Seems to me the elders and townsfolk would be willing to punish the offenders
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:18:49 AM »
The townsfolk are trying to protect their own.  It is no surprise to me, they know exactly what happened and who did it... but as you see they are still keeping quiet about it.  And believe me, it isn't a racial insult, there are more cases of native Alaskans abusing the subsitance and other rights which they were given in regard to game animals than any others.  It's kind of like the old quote, give them and inch and they'll take a mile...
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline youthpastorjon

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »
Those aren't hunters either, they're just killers.

Well said TribReady.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »
my grandpa and great grand pa both indian taught me to kill only what you need and use everything that you kill, I am very suprised to find native people doing this maybe they have adapted too well to a wasteful culture.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 02:16:55 AM »
It isn't a racial thing, there are good folks and bad ones too in all the races. The subsistance laws were in a state of flux when I left Alaska, but I hope the laws have some teeth in them about wanton waste.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 07:44:14 AM »
I agree that it is not a racial thing.  In 1973 we were allowed three caribou if you were South of the Yukon River.  The word went out that the 40 Mile herd was crossing the Taylor Highway.  The same scenario played out, but this was white hunters from Fairbanks and Anchorage.  They would get off the road, shoot their limit, clean the animals and start hauling them to the highway and their vehicles.  When they went back for the second load, if there were 'bou in closer to the road, these would be shot and the rest left.  John Phillips from Nenana told me of his neighbor limitting out without firing a shot, just dragging in abandoned animals.  Another of his neighbors who was a dog musher, came home with the bed of his pickup filled to overflowing with pats and pieces of caribou he had picked up along the road.  I went out there but headed home after seeing the crowds charging around the hills.  After 35 years I still get worked up about it!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Hunter78

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
Its nice how us nonresident hunters are blamed for wasting meat and only allowed one caribou. 

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
December 16 update
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »
For you who haven't been following the full metal jacket thread on this forum, we veered off to this caribou massacre.  I got to wondering what was going on so I emailed the Commissioner of Public Safety to find out  (he's a casual friend of mine - watched him grow up).

He answered me today and said the Troopers are working on the case but he can't talk about it. He promised if they get sufficient evidence they will be working with the DA to prosecute the case.  I know one of the officers on the case and have no doubt he'll do everything he can to bring justice. It could be a slow process though.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA