Author Topic: 1858 safe min load?  (Read 955 times)

Offline Saloon slug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Eastern NC
1858 safe min load?
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:19:46 PM »
Here is my Delma. I have a ground hog issue I am on 2 acres with neighbors on both sides. Neither of my neighbors mind if I shoot them but I am sure they would be annoyed if I start shooting them with my .308 or my .45's. What I would like to know is how small of a FFFG charge can I use and not stick a ball in the bore? 10-15gr would be fairly quiet and it would be a close shot so I don't need 800fps I don't need 500 but if that is as low as I can safely get that will have to do. And yes I never take shots unless I know exactly what is behind my target.

Any help would be great. ( man I need to get a Ruger single six soon)
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline .50cal

• Trade Count: (12)
Re: 1858 safe min load?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:28:45 PM »
2 aceres with neighbors on both sides ...seems to close for shooting in my opinion except for a GOOD pellet gun.With neighbors that close you could make trouble for your self in a big hurry. just my $0.02 , Others may disagree.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »
50 cal's comments should be duly noted.  Round balls, especially at low velocity have a real penchant for skipping off even the softest soils when you miss your target.
    That being said, I have pretty much the same problem as yourself, only with Cottontail rabbits being the garden pillagers. I also have neighbors fairly close on all sides.
     You didn't specify what caliber or type of pistol you are planning to use, so I can only tell you what I have had success with.
I use a 4 foot tall and 8 foot wide sheet of 3/4 in. plywood to stop any ricochets. Tests conducted at the range proved my selected load only dented a piece of 3/4 when I fired directly at it from 15 yards (many times the bullet rebounds right back at you, so be ready to duck, and wear eye protection). I then place a bait station of tasty veggies and a mix of shell corn and oats, directly in front of the center of the plywood, and use my shop window as a stand, from forty feet away.
     The pistol I use is an old E.M.F. .36 caliber, 1858 Remington revolver.  After measuring the distance the ram traveled into the cylinder, I added a quarter inch to that distance, and determined that 11 grains of fffg was the smallest charge I could use, and still have the ball compress the charge, and it is important that it does. 
     You can't see the bullet in flight, but the velocity has to be pretty low, because, many times it don't even break the skin !  However, when hit, they drop right on the spot, if you get the front half of the body.
     Ground Hogs are a lot tougher animal than rabbits, so I would guess I would have to concentrate on head shots, though a body hit should, at the very least, make them crave someone else's peas ?
     I have to warn you, there is no way the report of 11 grains of black powder can be mistaken for quiet.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »
I appreciate the concern and take the ricochet comment into mind.

Cowpox it is a .44cal 1858. If this is not feasible I will just work a sub 10gr load for my .32 call ML. I like you bait station idea I may have to try it.

Thanks all.

Offline .50cal

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:02:45 PM »
15 gr pyro with 15 gr cornmeal for filler is a good load for close range targets. this is what I load for my son and wife.

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
Thanks .50 I will have to get to the range and see if that load wil work for me. As it has been said every gun is a law unto it's self.
Thinking more on your warning I may just wait a couple weeks until my dad can bring my bow out to me that may be a safer bet.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:04:30 PM »
ten or so gr of FFFG and cornmeal filler to allow compression of the load shoot work.  However,  There is no way it will be quiet to shoot.  If you want quiet get a 22 bolt action rifle and shoot CCI CB caps in it.  The boolit hitting the critter will make more noise than the shot will.  I have dispatched several raccoons with head shots using them and with a good hit it works well.