Author Topic: Ted Stevens Indicted!  (Read 897 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Ted Stevens Indicted!
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »
WASHINGTON - Sen. Ted Stevens, the nation's longest-serving Republican senator and a major figure in Alaska politics since before statehood, was indicted Tuesday on seven felony counts of concealing more than a quarter of a million dollars in house renovations and gifts from a powerful oil contractor that lobbied him for government aid.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080729/ap_on_go_co/stevens_indictment

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ted Stevens Indicted!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:22:17 PM »
Good!! I hope he is convicted, if guilty, and suffers whatever consequences the law carries. I consider myself a conservative, therefore I vote Republican, and I have not patience what-so-ever with public officials ( of either party ) who are corrupt. U.S. Senators get a very generous retirement, excellent medical,and so many "beni's" that it is staggering. There is absolutely no excuse for corruption at that level, except all-out greed, and arrogance.
There is so much of this going on!
Criminal convictions for those who are guilty. Maybe a message can be sent!
Mark

Offline magooch

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:22:58 AM »
I too am a conservative and believe that those who abuse their position in government for personal gain, should be prosecuted, but I also find it interesting that Republicans who are caught, seem to get priority when it comes to prosecution.  What ever became of the Democrat congressman from Louisiana who had the cool cash in his freezer?  Does anyone believe that Dodd, or the other Dems that got special loan deals will ever be prosecuted, or that Osama Obamanation will be fully investigated for his arrangement with the crook that helped with his house.

My guess is that very few congressmen, or senators who have been there for very long, would want their business dealings to be scrutinized.
Swingem

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:47:23 AM »
Good!! I hope he is convicted, if guilty, and suffers whatever consequences the law carries. I consider myself a conservative, therefore I vote Republican, and I have not patience what-so-ever with public officials ( of either party ) who are corrupt. U.S. Senators get a very generous retirement, excellent medical,and so many "beni's" that it is staggering. There is absolutely no excuse for corruption at that level, except all-out greed, and arrogance.
There is so much of this going on!
Criminal convictions for those who are guilty. Maybe a message can be sent!
Mark

I'm a resident of Alaska and have supported Sen Stevens, since his appointment to the Senate to fill a vacancy.  Sen Stevens has the reputation for being one, if not the most, truthful and honest Senator in Congress by both parties.  He has been third in line for the Presidentcy, when he was Senate majority leader.  I agree that if convicted, he should be punished according to law.  I also agree that whatever is good for the goose is good for the gander.  That means that every elected official that violates criminal law must be punished.  Clinton wasn't.  Nor were many others who have been indicted and chose to resign and thus avoid prosecution.  Like NY governors and a host more.  I believe that criminal violations of elected officials cannot go unpunished, regardless of position, yet many do.  Before we throw stones at some and not all, I reserve the right to determine just what the egregous conduct was and make my opinion accordingly.  Sen Stevens deserves the American right to presumption of innocent until proved guilty.  His alledged lies regarding monetary favors are minimal when one considers Cllintons perjury in Court or NY governors lies about sexual favors in violation federal law.  It seems that Dems criminal violations of law go unpunished, while they go witch hunting when a Rep does it.  Look at Sen Kennedy, he still has not been charged with involuntary manslaughter and he is still in office.  Sounds to me like favoritism and unequality in justice. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 05:07:11 AM »
Power corrupts!

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:09 AM »
two things:

1) The "Someone else did worse" claim is not a defense to your own actions. 

2) Mr. Stevens is the type of Republican who wants less spending and smaller government as long as he's cutting spending and government in other states.  Don't forget he's the infamous "Bridge to nowhere" senator.  He has a long history of questionable ethics and I'll be glad to see him go.  Hopefully Alaska will find someone who honestly believes in less spending and less waste.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:43:34 AM »
I do not think that resigning your office should release you from punishment for the crime
if you are guilty you should have to pay the price, and loosing your job is not the price.
 :o
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 02:00:10 PM »
two things:

2) Mr. Stevens is the type of Republican who wants less spending and smaller government as long as he's cutting spending and government in other states.  Don't forget he's the infamous "Bridge to nowhere" senator.  He has a long history of questionable ethics and I'll be glad to see him go.  Hopefully Alaska will find someone who honestly believes in less spending and less waste.

I'm not advocating a worse case scenario is justifiable defense.  What I am saying is that every alledged criminal action should be prosecuted equally, regardless of position or party affiliation.  As far as the Bridge to No Where accusation, it was the media that exagerated the expense in light of the population benefits.  This bridge to no where was to be built to the International Airport in Ketchikan, which is located on an island across from the main portion of town.  The island itself is sparsely populated due travel back and forth to town.  This airport is also an alternate landing site for the space shuttles, due its location and extremely long runway.  All air freight, mail, and passengers must be ferried from the island to Ketchikan at extreme expense and maintanance costs.  Ketchikan is one of the 10 largest cities in Alaska, although considered small by other States.  This was not a bridge to no where, but a highway for truck and vehicle transport to provide decent, affordable service for air cargo, passengers, freight and airport services like fuel.   Ketchikan is also the repair facility for Alaska's Marine Highway ocean rated ferries.  These ferries are an integral and necessary part of transportation for the communities in Southeast Alaska and sometimes, the only scheduled means of transportation whatsoever, in and out of them.  These repair facilities are dependent on air freight and parts must be removed from the aircraft, placed on a small ferry, transported to the East ferry terminal, again placed on a different transport, then to the docks before installation on these large vessels.  Who do you think pays for this?  A bridge to the airport would mean just one on and offload at the repair facilities, instead of a minimum of 3.  It is too bad the media conveniently forgets these facts and only prints what it deems is relevant.  This lack of correct info leads people to mis judge the merits of any legislation or accusation.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »
  Over the years, i voted for Stevens many times...  I remember when he was live on a local radio station talk show.  Health care was being discussed and a caller told Stevens, "we just want the same health care YOU get"...  He got angry and hung up on them...  ha ha ha

I never was too proud of the way he'd pack bills with "pork" and yes it was coming to where i was living... That doesn't mean i agreed with it!

DM

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 03:11:27 PM »
two things:

I'm not advocating a worse case scenario is justifiable defense.  What I am saying is that every alledged criminal action should be prosecuted equally, regardless of position or party affiliation.  As far as the Bridge to No Where accusation, it was the media that exagerated the expense in light of the population benefits.  This bridge to no where was to be built to the International Airport in Ketchikan, which is located on an island across from the main portion of town.  The island itself is sparsely populated due travel back and forth to town.  This airport is also an alternate landing site for the space shuttles, due its location and extremely long runway.  All air freight, mail, and passengers must be ferried from the island to Ketchikan at extreme expense and maintanance costs.  Ketchikan is one of the 10 largest cities in Alaska, although considered small by other States.  This was not a bridge to no where, but a highway for truck and vehicle transport to provide decent, affordable service for air cargo, passengers, freight and airport services like fuel.   Ketchikan is also the repair facility for Alaska's Marine Highway ocean rated ferries.  These ferries are an integral and necessary part of transportation for the communities in Southeast Alaska and sometimes, the only scheduled means of transportation whatsoever, in and out of them.  These repair facilities are dependent on air freight and parts must be removed from the aircraft, placed on a small ferry, transported to the East ferry terminal, again placed on a different transport, then to the docks before installation on these large vessels.  Who do you think pays for this?  A bridge to the airport would mean just one on and offload at the repair facilities, instead of a minimum of 3.  It is too bad the media conveniently forgets these facts and only prints what it deems is relevant.  This lack of correct info leads people to mis judge the merits of any legislation or accusation.
So to get this straight:  Your stance is that Ted Stevens DID NOT encourage wasteful spending amendments to otherwise unrelated bills?

Offline deltecs

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »
No, I do not consider a bridge to be wasteful spending.  I do consider it wasteful spending by paying farmers for fallow land not to grow crops on in Kansas.  And that is extremely prevalent and wasteful.  The farmer should know not to continue to leach all the nutrients from the land and adjust his business accordingly.  Other companies are so required to adjust to current times without payment or federal subsidies for not doing anything.  No one pays a fishermen in aquaculture for not catching fish, so why should agriculture farmers be paid for not growing crops?  Fishermen are exposed to the same natural elements that reduce harvests in exactly the same way agriculture is. 

Greg
deltecs

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 06:31:38 PM »
No, I do not consider a bridge to be wasteful spending.  I do consider it wasteful spending by paying farmers for fallow land not to grow crops on in Kansas.  And that is extremely prevalent and wasteful.  The farmer should know not to continue to leach all the nutrients from the land and adjust his business accordingly.  Other companies are so required to adjust to current times without payment or federal subsidies for not doing anything.  No one pays a fishermen in aquaculture for not catching fish, so why should agriculture farmers be paid for not growing crops?  Fishermen are exposed to the same natural elements that reduce harvests in exactly the same way agriculture is. 
So is that a yes or no? 

And see rule 1 above. 

If you don't like the CRP program you have every right to feel that way... but it was brought before a vote and passed, like social security or war funding, or whatever... it was not added to an unrelated bill at the last minute, that was Ted's trick...  Classic pork barrel spending.  The question, again, is: Are you claiming that Ted Stevens did not engage in adding local projects onto unrelated bills at the last minute, commonly referred to as "pork barrel projects"?  A yes or no will suffice.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 09:04:32 PM »
I can not speak for the bridge in Ketchikan, I've never been there, but the title of bridges to no where was really a stupid and misguided referance.  The bridge for Anchorage is sorely needed.  Anchorage has outgrown the basin it is in.  It is himmed in by mountains, Cook inlet, and Knik Arm.  A bridge across Knik Arm would give Anchorage room to grow.  It would also give us a deep water port there.  Currently all freight coming into Anchorage (and the rest of the state) must come in on shallow draft barges.  Ocean Freighters can not come in to the port of Anchorage, too shallow.  If the Knik Arm Bridge is a bridge to no where then the Golden Gate Bridge was a bridge to no where also.  If you still think it is a bridge to no where you are badly mistaken.

As for Senator Stevens, the man has spent his life serving Alaska.  He has been reputed as the most honest politation, always above reproach.  Yes he was the king of pork, but he was honest about it.  He is 85 years old and many of us feel it is time for him to retire.  We have noticed he is no longer the Ted Stevens we have voted for over the years.  Often while giving speeches lately he loses his train of thought and has to be reminded what to say by his staff.  Personally I feel he has been getting senile, and it was time to send in fresh blood.  Many of us were planning on voting for someone else this time around.  The man does not do his taxes, he has an accountant do that.  Did the accountant not know about the house?  Did the Senator forget to make sure the accountant got the information?  When he says he does not remember I believe him.  It was a grave mistake on his part, but I feel a real one not intentional.  After all he is a millionaire, and $250K would not be enough for him to risk everything for.  I'm not ready to hang him out yet, let's see where the investigation goes with this one.

Now for our other polititions, there is real corruption.  Frank Murkowski, stepped down from his senate seat to be Governor, and to appoint his daughtor to his Senate seat.  One year as governor and we had our fill of him.  He got 6% of the vote when he ran for reelection.  94% of us felt he was as crooked as a snake.  His daughtor is not much better, it's just the Democrate running against her in the last election was worse.  Our lone Congressman Don Young, he's the one that tried to get a Interstate Highway built in Florida to end at a new subdivision being built by a campaign contributor.  Talk about being crooked, he's the one.  He has already spent over a million dollars for attornies and he has not been indited yet.  We have gotten word that 27 inditements are coming down for state legislators for corruption, looks like we are going to clean house up here.  Gives us a chance for a fresh start.  And VECO was the downfall of almost all of them.  Bribary, racateering, money laundering, you name it they did it.  And they got caught.  Some are already in prison and more to go.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 07:55:49 AM »
Senator Stevens was often reported as the King Of Pork, when all he was doing was try to make life a little more equatable for us with things you guys take for granted, and we don't have.  Say you and your family wants to go see Grandma, you jump in the car and drive 50 to 150 miles without too much thought about it.  Spend a long weekend then drive home.  Many Alaskans have to fly to Grandma's house because there are no roads.   

Problem now is that the people in the lower 48 (Congress) don't want to help us build roads.  We helped pay for the Interstate system that connects and runs through the states, connecting cities and towns.  Congress does not want to reciprocate.  Some of these highways runs through vast unpopulated areas, like west Texas, and southern Arizonia.  It's nice and very convinent, for you folks.  With big bridges and expensive causeways, even tunnels to cross places like Chesapeake Bay.  Tunnels to go under rivers like in New York.  And when we try and build a bridge it is called A Bridge To No Where.  Here we sit with over 570K square miles, that's bigger than Texas, California, and Montana combined.  Yet there is no highways to the entire western half of the state, and only one road north of the Yukon river.  Alaska is arguably the least-connected state in terms of road transportation. The state's road system covers a relatively small area of the state, linking the central population centers and the Alaska Highway, the principal route out of the state through Canada. The places most tourist wants to go.  The state capital, Juneau, is not accessible by road.  All the highways are in the southeastern corner of the state except the Dalton Highway (The Haul Road) which was built by Aleyeska to build the oil pipeline, not with public funds.  The last highway built in our state was the Parks Highway, from Anchorage to Fairbanks, built in 1972.  This highway runs through Denali National Park.  One of the main reason's for building it was that it shortened the drive to Denali from a seven hour drive to four hours from Anchorage.  Again to benefit tourist.  No one down there thinks about us.

As I said before Senator Stevens is old and senile.  I honestly feel that it was a slip-up on his part, an honest mistake.  He just plain forgot to assure the house bills were put on his taxes.  Senator Stevens did pay for some work to be done to his house, Who knows, maybe Bill Allen did far beyond what he was supposed to do, in hopes of trapping the Senator for future uses.  He had several State Legislators on his string. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 08:36:20 AM »
Senator Stevens was often reported as the King Of Pork, when all he was doing was try to make life a little more equatable for us with things you guys take for granted, and we don't have.  Say you and your family wants to go see Grandma, you jump in the car and drive 50 to 150 miles without too much thought about it.  Spend a long weekend then drive home.  Many Alaskans have to fly to Grandma's house because there are no roads.   

Problem now is that the people in the lower 48 (Congress) don't want to help us build roads.  We helped pay for the Interstate system that connects and runs through the states, connecting cities and towns.  Congress does not want to reciprocate.  Some of these highways runs through vast unpopulated areas, like west Texas, and southern Arizona.  It's nice and very convenient, for you folks.  With big bridges and expensive causeways, even tunnels to cross places like Chesapeake Bay.  Tunnels to go under rivers like in New York.  And when we try and build a bridge it is called A Bridge To No Where.  Here we sit with over 570K square miles, that's bigger than Texas, California, and Montana combined.  Yet there is no highways to the entire western half of the state, and only one road north of the Yukon river.  Alaska is arguably the least-connected state in terms of road transportation. The state's road system covers a relatively small area of the state, linking the central population centers and the Alaska Highway, the principal route out of the state through Canada. The places most tourist wants to go.  The state capital, Juneau, is not accessible by road.  All the highways are in the southeastern corner of the state except the Dalton Highway (The Haul Road) which was built by Aleyeska to build the oil pipeline, not with public funds.  The last highway built in our state was the Parks Highway, from Anchorage to Fairbanks, built in 1972.  This highway runs through Denali National Park.  One of the main reason's for building it was that it shortened the drive to Denali from a seven hour drive to four hours from Anchorage.  Again to benefit tourist.  No one down there thinks about us.

As I said before Senator Stevens is old and senile.  I honestly feel that it was a slip-up on his part, an honest mistake.  He just plain forgot to assure the house bills were put on his taxes.  Senator Stevens did pay for some work to be done to his house, Who knows, maybe Bill Allen did far beyond what he was supposed to do, in hopes of trapping the Senator for future uses.  He had several State Legislators on his string. 

From the watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense:

"Taxpayers for Common Sense has released the last four years of earmark data for Alaska to help create an understanding of how powerful Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK) has remained as an appropriator. The new research has found that Senator Stevens has secured or played a significant role in securing more than 891 earmarks worth $3.2 billion, which comes to $4,872 per capita over the last four years. This is more than 18 times the national average of $263 per capita for the same four years."

and

"He handed four earmarks worth $15.3 million to the High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP), originally designed to capture energy from the aurora borealis. The program has reportedly received more than one hundred million federal dollars since 1995. Stevens also sponsored three earmarks worth $8.8 million for Hibernation Genomics, a University of Alaska-Fairbanks program that aims to “hibernate” people by slowing down their metabolisms while keeping them alive long enough to treat illnesses."

and

"Then there are the initiatives which can’t possibly benefit anyone outside Alaska, such as the Alaska National Guard’s Counterdrug Program (four earmarks worth $10 million). Stevens also sponsored 13 earmarks worth more than $60 million—often with fellow Alaska Republican Lisa Murkowski—for the Alaska Land Mobile Radio, criticized by a 2006 State of Alaska audit for the “uncoordinated and inconsistent management of the project [which] has contributed” to cost overruns, shoddy accounting and budget planning."

Here's a link to the 891 spending amendments he added since 2004 and what they are:
http://www.taxpayer.net/user_uploads/file/Appropriations/All_Alaska_Earmarks_2005-2008.xls

Just like with deltecs complaint with the CRP program, the question is this:  If these things are necessary, and fair, and we should all be supporting it, why not just make it a bill and let everyone vote?  Why add these projects onto unrelated bills at the last minute? 

And, obviously, no one forces anyone to live in Alaska.  I agree that things are different and that things that are simple for us contiguous guys may not be for you.  If that's a problem, move.  But the truth is the remoteness, adventure, wildlife, oil fields, fishing, etc... are advantages that draw people to Alaska.  I probably wouldn't feel sorry for residents of Nevada who complain about how hot it is...

And finally, let us not forget that the state of Alaska actually pays it's residents to live there.  The permanent fund dividend payment is unique among all the states as far as I know.  I'm certain I don't get one from the state of Kansas, nor did I get one when I lived in Missouri.  Perhaps if a bridge is desperately needed for the residents of Ketchikan or Anchorange and it makes so much sense to build it, you guys could pay for it?  I mean hell, if a project is such a surefire success people should be jumping at the opportunity to pay for such a thing... but they're not... huh...

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 10:03:27 AM »

Problem now is that the people in the lower 48 (Congress) don't want to help us build roads.  We helped pay for the Interstate system that connects and runs through the states, connecting cities and towns.  Congress does not want to reciprocate.  Some of these highways runs through vast unpopulated areas, like west Texas, and southern Arizona.  It's nice and very convenient, for you folks.  With big bridges and expensive causeways, even tunnels to cross places like Chesapeake Bay.  Tunnels to go under rivers like in New York.  And when we try and build a bridge it is called A Bridge To No Where.  Here we sit with over 570K square miles, that's bigger than Texas, California, and Montana combined.  Yet there is no highways to the entire western half of the state, and only one road north of the Yukon river.  Alaska is arguably the least-connected state in terms of road transportation. The state's road system covers a relatively small area of the state, linking the central population centers and the Alaska Highway, the principal route out of the state through Canada. The places most tourist wants to go.  The state capital, Juneau, is not accessible by road.  All the highways are in the southeastern corner of the state except the Dalton Highway (The Haul Road) which was built by Aleyeska to build the oil pipeline, not with public funds.  The last highway built in our state was the Parks Highway, from Anchorage to Fairbanks, built in 1972.  This highway runs through Denali National Park.  One of the main reason's for building it was that it shortened the drive to Denali from a seven hour drive to four hours from Anchorage.  Again to benefit tourist.  No one down there thinks about us.

From the watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense:

"Taxpayers for Common Sense has released the last four years of earmark data for Alaska to help create an understanding of how powerful Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK) has remained as an appropriator. The new research has found that Senator Stevens has secured or played a significant role in securing more than 891 earmarks worth $3.2 billion, which comes to $4,872 per capita over the last four years. This is more than 18 times the national average of $263 per capita for the same four years."

and

"He handed four earmarks worth $15.3 million to the High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP), originally designed to capture energy from the aurora borealis. The program has reportedly received more than one hundred million federal dollars since 1995. Stevens also sponsored three earmarks worth $8.8 million for Hibernation Genomics, a University of Alaska-Fairbanks program that aims to “hibernate” people by slowing down their metabolisms while keeping them alive long enough to treat illnesses."

and

"Then there are the initiatives which can’t possibly benefit anyone outside Alaska, such as the Alaska National Guard’s Counterdrug Program (four earmarks worth $10 million). Stevens also sponsored 13 earmarks worth more than $60 million—often with fellow Alaska Republican Lisa Murkowski—for the Alaska Land Mobile Radio, criticized by a 2006 State of Alaska audit for the “uncoordinated and inconsistent management of the project [which] has contributed” to cost overruns, shoddy accounting and budget planning."

Here's a link to the 891 spending amendments he added since 2004 and what they are:
http://www.taxpayer.net/user_uploads/file/Appropriations/All_Alaska_Earmarks_2005-2008.xls

Just like with deltecs complaint with the CRP program, the question is this:  If these things are necessary, and fair, and we should all be supporting it, why not just make it a bill and let everyone vote?  Why add these projects onto unrelated bills at the last minute? 

And, obviously, no one forces anyone to live in Alaska.  I agree that things are different and that things that are simple for us contiguous guys may not be for you.  If that's a problem, move.  But the truth is the remoteness, adventure, wildlife, oil fields, fishing, etc... are advantages that draw people to Alaska.  I probably wouldn't feel sorry for residents of Nevada who complain about how hot it is...

And finally, let us not forget that the state of Alaska actually pays it's residents to live there.  The permanent fund dividend payment is unique among all the states as far as I know.  I'm certain I don't get one from the state of Kansas, nor did I get one when I lived in Missouri.  Perhaps if a bridge is desperately needed for the residents of Ketchikan or Anchorange and it makes so much sense to build it, you guys could pay for it?  I mean hell, if a project is such a surefire success people should be jumping at the opportunity to pay for such a thing... but they're not... huh...

Your pretty much spot on, i always figured Stevens was screwing the average tax payer, but he was always better than who was running against him, and he always stood for a couple "other" important to me issues, so i kept voteing for him.

Personally, i don't think our country will ever get starightened out untill we have TERM LIMITS, that forces the old "lifers" out, and stops the crooks from making it a life of luxery and power!

DM