Author Topic: Squeezing Out Those Small Increments of Accurracy? To Fire Lap or Not Fire Lap?  (Read 846 times)

Offline JHT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I have read little to help weigh the benefits of Hot Lapping of newly manufacturered barrels, whether from factory produced barrels all the way up through the best known of the custom barrel makers in order to squeeze out the outmost accuracy that the barrel is capable of.  Most barrels are generally capable of outshooting the individual behind the gun, but that does not address the question.  How viable is Hot Barreling?   Regards, JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Hot barreling??  Hot lapping??  I know of 'hand lapping' and 'fire lapping' but not the two procedures you mentioned.  I'm confused.  Mikey.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
Check out Veral's section on cast bullet's.  I bought his kit and fire lapped both my Dan Wesson and my son's Blackhawk.  His kits come with very detailed instructions.  Both of the guns I've done have improved accuracy and reduced fowling.  I'm in the process of lapping all my guns due to the improvment.  His section also details how to milk every bit of accuracy out of your gun, primarily with cast bullets.  After my success with his lapping kit, I also got one of his recommended molds for my DW.  I've had this gun for 14 years and now it shoots MOA at the bench.  It was always accurate, but now it's a tack driver. 

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
No Mikey, you are not the one who was confused, rather it was me who was in a state of confusion.  Sorry about that.  As you have correctly stated the procedure that I was referring too was that of "fire lapping."  Thus, the correctly stated question I believe should read, How viable/useful is fire lapping?

Mikey, again, thank you for the correction.
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
I've tried it with several rifles for cast bullet shooting and cannot say I ever saw any improvement. I also tried it with a Charter Arms .44 bulldog revolver which had it's bore constricted where it was pressed into the frame and perhaps there was some improvement or perhaps I just found a better load and the fire lapping had nothing to do with it. There are lots of firearms accessories and equipment for which grand claims are made but really only "redistribute wealth". I have a friend who claims firelapping ruined the fine accuracy of his Savage .308 bolt gun,  I really don't know how he went about the lapping but do believe him when he says it was sub-moa before and two moa after.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
If you had sub MOA groups; why would you do anything but shoot that gun?  Proper firelapping, just like manual lapping is to correct a rough bore or reduce constrictions; common in most weapons; but not in all guns to a degree that it causes accuracy problems.  If it ain't broke don't fix it should be the rule for guns.  Mine had problems with the loads I was trying and lapping and a few other things mentioned in the cast bullet section cured my problems.  Fire lapping with high velocity and jacketed bullets has caused excess wear and should be avoided at all cost.  Low velocity soft cast bullets remove a minimum of material and you test until desired results are obtained, then stop.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
JHT:  Sorry, my confooshun.... I have fire lapped and hand lapped pistol and rifle barrels and have always found an improvement, but you also have to seriously consider the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" application.  Ya gotta get Veral's book.  It explains everything. 

blhof is absolutely right about not lapping with fast moving or jacketed bullets as that causes excess or extreme wear, and if you use the wrong type or grit of lapping compound you can easily ruin your barrel.  Get Veral's book, it explains everything.  Mikey.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
I've fire lapped handgun barrels and can say it helps stop leading but, not sure if it helps accuracy? You must remember, lapping of any sort is removing metal from the inside of your barrel, even if it is minute?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
Rather than fire lapping, I tend to shoot new guns with jacketed bullets. They burnish and smooth the barrel with less attendant wear. After smoothing the bore with jacketed bullets, I can then shoot lead bullets without excessive leading and with good accuracy.

I tend to feel fire lapping is an extreme measure to be use with really bad barrels.
Tom

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
Thank you all for your input.  Since accuracy in this pistol is "better than I am" it may be best to "let lying dogs lie."  Regards,   JHT

Offline SharonAnne

David Tubb, perhaps the greatest high power rifle shooter ever, fire laps all of his rifles. He thinks it works. If it works for him it will most likely work for me.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SharonAnne

JHT. Let us say you can shoot 3" groups at 50 yds off the bench with your pistol. Your gunsmith gets 2" groups. So, you shoot groups 50% larger than the pistol is capable of. Now, if the pistol is capable of 1" groups, your 50% larger groups are 1.5".  That is good for several points on bullseye and could make a 'C' into an 'A' on an IPSC target.  Just a thought.
SharonAnne

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
SharonAnne, I have always appreciated the manner in which your thoughts transpire.  This is another case whereby you obviously stated the obvious in a clear and cogent fashion.  Thank you.  JHT

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Huh?

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
Mikey, you are correct.  I should have just expressed my thanks to SharonAnne for her input.  So, SharonAnne I thank you for your correct response.  Regards,  JHT

Offline SharonAnne

you guys make me smile ;) thank you
SharonAnne