Author Topic: Cheney, Neocons Considered Killing Americans in Pretext to Attack Iran  (Read 9969 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)

Cheney, Neocons Considered Killing Americans in Pretext to Attack Iran

http://www.prisonplanet.com/cheney-neocons-considered-killing-americans-in-pretext-to-attack-iran.html

In the video here, taped at the Campus Progress journalism conference earlier this month, the Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist Seymour Hersh reveals how the neocons convened around Dick Cheney and brainstormed ways to kick off World War IV, as they fondly call their pet project to take out the Muslims and foment a contrived “clash of civilizations.”

According to Hersh, this meeting occurred after the neocons failed miserably to stage a rehashed version of the Gulf of Tonkin incident in the Strait of Hormuz, mostly because it is no longer 1964 and such Big Lies — thanks to the internet and bloggers — are far more difficult to float. “For all I know, our Navy was shooting at whales out there,” quipped LBJ about the imaginary act of North Vietnamese boats supposedly attacking U.S. ships, leading to the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution and undeclared war in Southeast Asia, ultimately resulting in the death of nearly 60,000 Americans and around 3 million Southeast Asians.

In an exclusive Think Progress story, we learn the meeting took place in Cheney’s office and the subject on the table was “how to create a casus belli between Tehran and Washington,” part of an ongoing effort to provide an excuse to attack Iran. “There was a dozen ideas proffered about how to trigger a war,” Hersh explains. “The one that interested me the most was why don’t we build — we in our shipyard — build four or five boats that look like Iranian PT boats. Put Navy seals on them with a lot of arms. And next time one of our boats goes to the Straits of Hormuz, start a shoot-up.”

Hersh would have us believe this scenario did not play out because “you can’t have Americans killing Americans,” an absurd explanation considering the fact the attacks of September 11 were just that — “Americans killing Americans,” a calculated and cold-blooded act of mass murder carried out by elements in the U.S. government as a “new Pearl Harbor,” a cynical pretext to launch the “war on terror,” now grinding into its seventh year.

Ominously, these “ideas” hark back to Operation Northwoods, the JSC plan to stage a false flag terror event — or a number of events — designed to provide a pretext to invade Cuba and take out Fidel Castro. Such “ideas” included “friendly Cubans” attacking the U.S. base at Guantanamo, shooting down a drone disguised as a chartered civil airliner and blaming it on Cuba, inciting riots and staging terror attacks in Miami, and other terrorist acts. Fortunately, then Secretary of Defense, Robert McNamara, put a kibosh to this insane plan.

More recently, in January, 2003, in the lead-up to the Iraq invasion George Bush and Tony Blair discussed painting planes in United Nations colors “in order to provoke an attack which could then be used to justify material breach” and thus set in motion an invasion, according to Philippe Sands, a leading British human rights lawyer (see Revealed: Bush and Blair discussed using American Spyplane in UN colors to lure Saddam into war, Channel Four News).

In fact, the neocons have not rested in their effort to foment war and force the support of the American people by way of deception. On May 16, 2008, Paul Joseph Watson, writing for Prison Planet, noted confidential recordings released under the Freedom of Information Act revealing the efforts of former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and top military analysts to cook up another terrorist attack on America in order to gain support for their ambitious plans to decimate Muslim culture. “The most extraordinary exchange takes place when Lt. Gen. Michael DeLong bemoans shrinking political support for Neo-Con war plans on Capitol Hill and suggests that sympathy for the Bush administration’s agenda will only be achieved after a new terror attack,” writes Watson. “Rumsfeld agrees that the psychological impact of 9/11 is wearing off and the ‘behavior pattern’ of citizens in both the U.S. and Europe suggests that they are unconcerned about the threat of terror.” Rumsfeld characterizes Bush as “a victim of success” because America has not suffered “an attack in five years” and for Rumsfeld and the neocons this state of affairs is indeed lamentable.

Obviously, the neocons will stop at nothing — including the murder of more Americans in a false flag terror attack — to realize their agenda.

Finally, Sy Hersh casts suspicion on himself during the interview when he admits he did not bother to write an article on the neocon casus belli brainstorming session because it did not go forward. “So I can understand the argument for not writing something that was rejected — uh maybe. My attitude always towards editors is they’re mice training to be rats…. But the point is jejune, if you know what that means.” It was “jejune” because Hersh believes the “American public, if you get the right incident, the American public will support bang-bang-kiss-kiss. You know, we’re into it.”

Of course, that may be true for some of the American public, even a large segment, but for those of us up to speed on the master plan of the neocons — total war, so the children of the neocons will “sing great songs about us years from now,” as Richard Perle once said — this comment stinks of irresponsibility. It avoids discussion of the criminal mindset of the neocons, who are determined to start WW IV, even if such a conflict leads to the distinct possibility the Prince of Darkness’ children may not be around to sing great songs.

Offline coldmold

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Cheney, Neocons Considered Killing Americans in Pretext to Attack Iran
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 08:35:15 AM »
Boy you guys never fail to peg my BS meter

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:39:37 AM »
it is now as outragously funny as jamaldog and his wack-a-do posts.  i consider it entertainment.   methinks they are using the same stash.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:49:55 AM »
I wish it was entertainment .But remember Bush senior saying it's a new ideal new world order.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:18:33 PM »
it is now as outragously funny as jamaldog and his wack-a-do posts.  i consider it entertainment.   methinks they are using the same stash.

I find our resident True Muslim absolutly histerically funny. That is why I invited him the the "Iran is a nuclear wastland BBQ" as our special comedy entertainment. I just wish he would accept. :D :D :D
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 06:38:17 PM »
You can literally find anything, on any political posistion, posted on some idiots internet blog site. Not sure its worth reposting it here.

Just visit one of the middle eastern terrorist sites. Lots of truth there to!!
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 12:16:10 AM »

I have it on good authority, from "reliable unnamed sources" that Dick Cheney had a secret meeting in his office with three renegade NASA neocons, discussing
  plans to assassinate the Man in the Moon..
        A highly technical drawing picturing the intended operation (shown below).. was obtained from Cheney's trash can by an alert, patriotic capitol staffer...who
   smuggled it out of Cheney's office under his tinfoil lined janitor's cap ! 
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 12:44:15 AM »
  Did anyone ever wonder just how these blogflies (as opposed to barflies)..get all this detailed info from very secret, even one-on-one, no-leak meetings by the President,
  Vice President and top CIA officials ? :D ;D ;)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 04:27:41 AM »
 We are living in the age of mis-information.

..TM7

I agree with that 100%. Just watch, listen or read any main stream media output and you can get a outstanding taste of misinformation. There are 2 forms of misinformation, that which is just untrue and that which is untold in the context of a story being reported. I think the media does a great job with both tactics. Not reporting is misinformation.

I thought we recently had a good one with these INS raids at a meat packing plant in Iowa. The maim stream media is reporting that the residents in the local town are opposed to these raids by the INS. These INS raids have yielded a couple hundred illegals working at this plant under false ID. They are in federal custody under many charges including steeling & using IDs so as to appear legal. So the main stream media are trying to get us to believe that American citezens are just fine with illegal aliens illegally taking and using identification of other American citizens and then taking jobs away from a community suffering form hard economic times...... BS

This is just one example of thousands.

Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 01:46:45 PM »
Yep, prisonplanet is a very reliable source of information on all kinds of government run conspiracy theories.  Love these conspiracy theories.  Debunk one part of the conspiracy theory and they tell ten lies to cover it. 

The US government could not keep the design of the atom bomb secret.  They could not keep the Pentagon Papers secret.  How in hell could the same government blow up the Twin Towers with atom bombs and keep it secret?

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 05:18:23 PM »
Yep, prisonplanet is a very reliable source of information on all kinds of government run conspiracy theories.  Love these conspiracy theories.  Debunk one part of the conspiracy theory and they tell ten lies to cover it. 

The US government could not keep the design of the atom bomb secret.  They could not keep the Pentagon Papers secret.  How in hell could the same government blow up the Twin Towers with atom bombs and keep it secret?

I agree. The twin towers were blow up by terrorist. Government incompetence allowed the terrorists to be successful. 8 years of the Clinton adminisration denying the terrorist were at war with us and doing nothing led to 9-11's success.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 02:51:12 AM »
man, i really can not believe i am about to say this, but....
 i dont think it is fair to lay this all on clinton.   last pres i remember doing anything about this was reagan.   the rest were rather limp on the issue until we were forced to address it.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 03:10:32 AM »
    Myron;
   Presidents like Pres Reagan only come along about once in a  century
   Washington, Lincoln, Reagan...ithe pattern so far, is clear !
    If our nation lasts another century..I don't see anyone on the scene
   now with that kind of potential..

Offline no guns here

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 04:11:18 AM »
drivel...
"I feared for my life!"

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 06:09:02 AM »
drivel...

No guns...

I presume you were not using the "drivel" epethet in an attempt to disparage my statement about Ronald Reagan;
  Surely must have been somebody else you were referring to.. On the other hand, if yopu have a president of the 20th
   century that you believe was superior to Ronaldus Magnus..let's hear it..along with justification.

Are you of an age to actually watch Reagan perform ? Perhaps you are unfamiliar with his term..

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 09:07:22 AM »
The drivel in the original post attributed to prisonplanet.com doesn't even deserve a comment.

Offline powderman

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 10:06:04 AM »

I agree. The twin towers were blow up by terrorist. Government incompetence allowed the terrorists to be successful. 8 years of the Clinton adminisration denying the terrorist were at war with us and doing nothing led to 9-11's success.

YEP. It was a group of Godless, subhuman sobs screaming allah akhbar as they sent themselves to hell, and murdered thousands of innocent civilians.  POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline no guns here

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »
ironglow,
nope not referring to you... yes, in fact I am of that age... in fact I served in the Reagan White House for the last six months or so of his second term.  I was at his final fly off from the South Lawn on HMX 1.  Proud to serve that President and the next and the next.  I served the Clinton White House until the point the I could no longer guarantee that my personal feelings would not impact my professionalism.  Then I asked for a new assignement...  Still proud of my service to the President of the USA no matter what his name.

I was referring to the original post...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 11:42:20 AM »
Reagan was a good drug runner had the CIA selling crack for his little war . Then had his wife on TV just say no to drugs.     The involvement of the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in cocaine trafficking in Central America during the Reagan Administration as part of the Contra war in Nicaragua has been the subject of several official and journalistic investigations since the mid-1980s.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 12:21:04 PM »
man, i really can not believe i am about to say this, but....
 i dont think it is fair to lay this all on clinton.   last pres i remember doing anything about this was reagan.   the rest were rather limp on the issue until we were forced to address it.

Even the 9-11 commission concluded that the terrorist were at war with us, Clinton just never acknowledged it. Remember, the towers were bombed 2 times under Clinton. He scaled back our intelligence gathering and CIA counter actions. He absolutely bares some responsibility. Bush was in office for less then 9 months with 9-11 happened and we know for a fact, that the plan was in motion by Bin Laden for years!
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 03:31:28 PM »
Noguns..
   Sorry if I misread you..apologies.. Yes; I can understand your statement of loyalty to the job and C-in-C..regardless.
  Anyone who ever served in the military or Presidential staffs, cvan easily understand.

MS;
      Your ridiculous statements about Pres Reagan being a drug-runner..proves one thing; that you steep yourself in such drivel as Prisonplanet.com,
  and apparently any other tinfoil hat website you can find... ;D ;)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »
MS;
      Your ridiculous statements about Pres Reagan being a drug-runner..proves one thing; that you steep yourself in such drivel as Prisonplanet.com,
CIA and Contras cocaine trafficking in the US
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from CIA and Contra's cocaine trafficking in the US)
Jump to: navigation, search
The involvement of the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in cocaine trafficking in Central America during the Reagan Administration as part of the Contra war in Nicaragua has been the subject of several official and journalistic investigations since the mid-1980s.

Contents [hide]
1 Early reports

[edit] Early reports
In 1984, U.S. officials began receiving reports of Contra cocaine trafficking. Three officials told journalists that they considered these reports "reliable." Former Panamanian deputy health minister Dr. Hugo Spadafora, who had fought with the Contra army, outlined charges of cocaine trafficking to a prominent Panamanian official and was later found murdered. The charges linked the Contra trafficking to Sebastián González Mendiola, who was charged with cocaine trafficking on November 26, 1984, in Costa Rica. In 1985, another Contra leader "told U.S. authorities that his group was being paid $50,000 by Colombian traffickers for help with a 100-kilo cocaine shipment and that the money would go 'for the cause' of fighting the Nicaraguan government." A 1985 National Intelligence Estimate revealed cocaine trafficking links to a top commander working under Contra leader Eden Pastora.[1] Pastora had complained about such charges as early as March 1985, claiming that "two 'political figures' in Washington told him last week that State Department and CIA personnel were spreading the rumor that he is linked to drug trafficking in order to isolate his movement."[2]

On December 20, 1985, these and other charges were laid out in an Associated Press article after an extensive investigation which included interviews with "officials from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Customs Service, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Costa Rica's Public Security Ministry, as well as rebels and Americans who work with them." Five American Contra supporters who worked with the rebels confirmed the charges, noting that "two Cuban-Americans used armed rebel troops to guard cocaine at clandestine airfields in northern Costa Rica. They identified the Cuban-Americans as members of the 2506 Brigade, an anti-Castro group that participated in the 1961 Bay of Pigs attack on Cuba. Several also said they supplied information about the smuggling to U.S. investigators." One of the Americans "said that in one ongoing operation, the cocaine is unloaded from planes at rebel airstrips and taken to an Atlantic coast port where it is concealed on shrimp boats that are later unloaded in the Miami area."[3]

On March 16, 1986, the San Francisco Examiner published a report on the "1983 seizure of 430 pounds of cocaine from a Colombian freighter" in San Francisco which indicated that a "cocaine ring in the San Francisco Bay area helped finance Nicaragua's Contra rebels." Carlos Cabezas, convicted of conspiracy to traffic cocaine, said that the profits from his crimes "belonged to... the Contra revolution." He told the Examiner, "I just wanted to get the Communists out of my country." Julio Zavala, also convicted on trafficking charges, said "that he supplied $500,000 to two Costa Rican-based Contra groups and that the majority of it came from cocaine trafficking in the San Francisco Bay area, Miami and New Orleans."[4]

Former CIA agent David MacMichael explained the inherent relationship between CIA activity in Latin America and drug trafficking: "Once you set up a covert operation to supply arms and money, it's very difficult to separate it from the kind of people who are involved in other forms of trade, and especially drugs. There is a limited number of planes, pilots and landing strips. By developing a system for supply of the Contras, the US built a road for drug supply into the US."[5]

[edit] FBI probe

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »
Always the "reliable" unnamed source. Come on guys I think your getting brain warp from watching reruns of the X files and Lone Gunman shows over and over. :D :D :D :D
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 04:59:40 PM »
Always the "reliable" unnamed source. Come on guys I think your getting brain warp from watching reruns of the X files and Lone Gunman shows over and over. :D :D :D :D

Like I said before, you can find anything you want on the internet.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 08:50:43 PM »
Heck, I was young, but I still remember something called Iran/Contra which I do believe would be classified as HIGH TREASON.  I remember, "I don't recall."  Heck, think there was even an amnesty for illegal aliens.  But hey, I could be wrong....

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline no guns here

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 12:34:30 AM »
Yeah... Wikipedia (a site that is populated with information provided by users) is absolutely an authoritative source.  Right... and where you live the sky is green right?  Come on, ANYONE can put just about ANYTHING they want on Wiki and make it sound authoritative.  In my more naive days, I might have believed that anything in print is real but then I realized that Superman isn't real and that Bugs Bunney really couldn't defy gravity or fly with his ears like a helicopter...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 01:08:08 AM »
 Dakota ;
  I do vaguely remember that the term  " I don't recall" being used a couple times during the entire Iran/Contra hearings as I have at all congressional hearings. Can't blame
  a "witness" for CYA when they know the questioners are trying to trap them ! Remember; Old Scooter Libby was NOT jailed because he committed any crime other
  than a faulty memory, where he misstated a fact as to name, date or something that would in itself, not materially change the facts. He would have been better off,
  had he simply said "I don't recall" which was likely quite true..
       ..Not near the frequency we heard the Clintons use "I can't recall" when confronted by file-gate, medical-gate, Vince Foster-gate, White Water-gate, pardon-gate,
  and choke Monica-gate !

ms;
    Nice try; but you fooled noone..
   First, you cite Wikipedia, which often, when speaking of controversial subjects, is filled with "opinion pieces"..You even go on with the official sounding.. "redacted from
  CIA and Contra's cocaine trafficking in the US"..
    I would hope we all noticed it was not a CIA report, but an individual's opinion, an apparent "hit piece" against the CIA and it"s efforts to keep a Communist junta
  from taking over Nicaragua by force.
   Even after reading someone's (?) hit piece, I see no connection between Pres Reagan and cocaine..still doubt you have a sliver of FACTUAL evidence. If there were
  such, surely the likes of Teddy K. or Metzenbaum would have dug it up !
   ...Of course we can rest comfortably, knowing that old Teddy is continually watching over the moral fiber of Capital Hill. ;D

Memories of Iran/Contra hearings;

The most remarkable thing I recall, is how Col. Ollie North looked like about three times THE MAN...as the entire body of sniveling politicians that tried to trap him.
  For a Washington Senate hearing, his candor and honesty was refreshing when asked by Ohio's Howard Metzenbaum about what he was doing in the Capital basement at a given time,
  he said something like "I was busy shredding" !  :D ;)    He was apparently withing legal parameters when he did..because they didn't charge him with "shredding" !
   I even recall the glee on the face of Metzenbaum when he figured he had Ollie trapped..because Ollie had bought some "Tutus" (dancing tights) at a local botique..Metzie
  implying that they may have been for "some other woman"..I grinned at Metzie's chagrin when it was disclosed as a size an type for Ollie's little 5 yr old daughter who was at
  the time, taking ballet lessons ! :D

Was it Teddy (the hero of Chappaquiddick) that complained about the fence around Ollie's house ? He was anxious to finish the hearing when Ollie explained the fence as a
    last ditch defense for his family against the terrorist Abu Nidal, that threatened Ollie's wife and girls. I distinctly recall Ollie  saying that he would meet Abu Nidal one-on-one any
  day to settle the gripe..but didn't appreciate cowardly threats against his loved ones.

I could just visualize Teddy meeting any terrorist one-on-one ...as have so many soldiers & Marines he has criticized ! :o ;D

BTW: Ollie, working as a Fox News correspondent..was wounded by an IED just few days ago, while riding in a Humvee with troops on patrol in Afghanistan. I don't believe the
  injuries were serious.
      Although B. Hussein Obama was in the Mid East at the time..there was no note that he may have been riding with Ollie and the troops.. ;D

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 04:25:07 AM »
Boy you guys never fail to peg my BS meter

Might want to re-calibrate your BS meter (Read what Gen. Smedley Butler had to say about the powers that be)

Butler, you might recall was a Marine General, and two time recipient of the Medal Of Honor.

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."[21]

WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.

A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small "inside" group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes.

In the World War a mere handful garnered the profits of the conflict. At least 21,000 new millionaires and billionaires were made in the United States during the World War. That many admitted their huge blood gains in their income tax returns. How many other war millionaires falsified their tax returns no one knows.

How many of these war millionaires shouldered a rifle? How many of them dug a trench? How many of them knew what it meant to go hungry in a rat-infested dug-out? How many of them spent sleepless, frightened nights, ducking shells and shrapnel and machine gun bullets? How many of them parried a bayonet thrust of an enemy? How many of them were wounded or killed in battle?

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of “SMART”?

Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 04:43:11 AM »
   Don't know Smedley Butler, though I vaguely recall a Smedly Whiplash from somewhere....
   In any case, there are some 4,000 retired generals & admirals, the vast majority are not nearly so cynical as that !
   No way I can tell what motivates Smedley..who knows ? What would motivate Rep John Murtha , a fellow  who
  once served as a Marine to attempt in a lie, to bersmirch some current Marines who served honorably in war, of
  committing "cold blooded murder" in Haditha, Iraq..only to be later proven a liar ?
    ..Sometimes folks have their "own axe to grind".. not promoted when they thought they should have been,
  playing politics, talking trash for money..??

In any case, the original demand I put forward was for CONCRETE PROOF that R. Reagan had anything to do
  with cocaine..
   I've heard a lot of blather and innuendo, but haven't seen PROOF any yet !

Unlike a current candidate for Prez, who admitted in his books to have used both Marijuana AND cocaine.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 05:31:17 AM »
During his trial, Oliver North spent his last two years in the Corps reassigned to Marine Headquarters in Arlington, Virginia.

[edit] Iran-Contra affair
Main article: Iran-Contra Affair
North came into the public spotlight due to his participation in the Iran-Contra Affair, in which he was the chief coordinator of the sale of weapons via intermediaries to Iran, with the profits being channeled to the Contras in Nicaragua. He was responsible for the establishment of a covert network used for the purposes of aiding the Contras. U.S. funding of the Contras by appropriated funds spent by intelligence agencies had been prohibited by the Boland Amendment. Funding was facilitated through Palmer National Bank of Washington, D.C. It was founded in 1983 by Harvey McLean, Jr., a businessman from Shreveport, Louisiana. It was initially funded with $2.8 million dollars to McLean from Herman K. Beebe. Oliver North used this bank during the Iran-Contra scandal by funneling money from his shell organization, the "National Endowment for the Preservation of Liberty", through Palmer National Bank to the Contras.

According to the National Security Archive, in an August 23, 1986 e-mail to John Poindexter, Oliver North described a meeting with a representative of Panamanian President Manuel Noriega: "You will recall that over the years Manuel Noriega in Panama and I have developed a fairly good relationship", North writes before explaining Noriega's proposal. If U.S. officials can "help clean up his image" and lift the ban on arms sales to the Panamanian Defense Force, Noriega will "'take care of' the Sandinista leadership for us."

North tells Poindexter that Noriega can assist with sabotage against the Sandinistas, and suggests paying Noriega a million dollars cash; from "Project Democracy" funds raised from the sale of U.S. arms to Iran – for the Panamanian leader's help in destroying Nicaraguan economic installations.[5]

In November 1986 as the sale of weapons was made public, North was fired by President Reagan, and in July 1987 he was summoned to testify before televised hearings of a joint Congressional committee formed to investigate Iran-Contra. The image of North taking the oath became iconic, and similar photographs made the cover of Time and Newsweek, and helped define him in the eyes of the public. During the hearings, North admitted that he had lied to Congress, for which he was later charged among other things. He defended his actions by stating that he believed in the goal of aiding the Contras, whom he saw as freedom fighters, and said that he viewed the Iran-Contra scheme as a "neat idea."[6]

North was tried in 1988 in relation to his activities while at the National Security Council. He was indicted on sixteen felony counts and on May 4, 1989, he was initially convicted of three: accepting an illegal gratuity, aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry, and destruction of documents (by his secretary, Fawn Hall, on his instructions). He was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Gerhard A. Gesell on July 5, 1989, to a three-year suspended prison term, two years probation, $150,000 in fines, and 1,200 hours community service.

However, on July 20, 1990, with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU),[7] North's convictions were vacated, after the appeals court found that witnesses in his trial might have been impermissibly affected by his immunized congressional testimony.[8] Because North had been granted limited immunity for his Congressional testimony, the law prohibited the independent counsel (or any prosecutor) from using that testimony as part of a criminal case against him. To prepare for the expected defense challenge that North's testimony had been used, the prosecution team had - before North's congressional testimony had been given - listed and isolated all its evidence; further, the individual members of the prosecution team had isolated themselves from news reports and discussion of North's testimony. While the defense could show no specific instance where any part of North's congressional testimony was used in his trial, the Court of Appeals ruled that the trial judge had made an insufficient examination of the issue, and ordered North's convictions reversed. The Supreme Court declined to review the case. After further hearings on the immunity issue, Judge Gesell dismissed all charges against North on September 16, 1991, on the motion of the independent counsel.

[edit] Alleged Involvement with drug trafficking
During the early and mid 1980s, Lt. Colonel North was alleged to participate in organizing the transportation of cocaine and marijuana from the various sites in Central and South America into the United States as a means of funding the Contra rebels. Congressional records show North was tasked with finding funding “outside the CIA” after the Boland Amendment cut off funding for the Contras in October, 1984.[9] Declassified interviews taken during Independent Counsel Lawrence Walsh's investigation into Iran-Contra, as well as North’s handwritten journal entries, detail an extensive operation involving civilian and military personnel from the U.S. and various Central American countries.

On February 10, 1986, Robert Owen, North’s liaison with the Contras, wrote North regarding a plane being used to carry "humanitarian aid" to the Contras that was previously used to transport drugs. The plane belonged to the Miami-based company Vortex, which is run by Michael Palmer, one of the largest marijuana traffickers in the United States. Despite Palmer's long history of drug smuggling, Palmer receives over $300,000 from the Nicaraguan Humanitarian Aid Office (NHAO) -- an office overseen by Oliver North, Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs Elliott Abrams, and CIA officer Alan Fiers -- to ferry supplies to the Contras.[10]

North’s own handwritten journals provide valuable insight into the mechanics of the operation as well. In his journal entry for August 9, 1985, North summarizes a meeting with Owen. They discuss a plane used to transport supplies from New Orleans to Contras in Honduras. North writes: "Honduran DC-6 which is being used for runs out of New Orleans is probably being used for drug runs into U.S."[11]

Other entries in the North Notebooks which specifically mention narcotics are:

July 9, 1984. Call from Claridge-Call Michel re Narco Issue-RIG T 1000 Tomorrow *(QO384)-DEA Miami-Pilot went talked to Vaughn-wanted A/C (Adolfo Calero) to go *to Bolivia to p/u paste-want A/C to p/u 1500 kilos-Bud to meet w/Group (QO385)
July 17, 1984. Call to Frank M-Bud Mullins Re-leak on DEA piece-Carlton Turner *(QO418) Call from-McManus, LA Times says/NSC source claims W.H. has pictures of *Borge loading cocaine in Nic. (QO416)
Jan. 14, 1985. $14 million to finance came from drugs (Q1039)
During Manuel Noriega’s trial in 1991, pilot Floyd Carlton testified that his smuggling operation was flying weapons to the Contras at the same time he was flying dope to the United States. When Carlton’s lawyer asked about Oliver North’s knowledge of these flights, federal prosecutors vehemently objected, and U.S. judge William Hoeveler became angry. “Just stay away from it,” the judge snapped, refusing to allow any more questions on the topic.[12]

Investigations into Lt. Col North’s involvement have not been limited to the United States. One notable example is the second report of the Costa Rican Legislative Assembly’s Commission on Narcotics Trafficking, which examined the explosion of cocaine trafficking in that country during the 1980’s. After studying the involvement of Contras and U.S. officials with illegal arms running and drug trafficking, the commission recommended that former ambassador Lewis Tambs, CIA station chief Joe Fernandez, and Lt. Col. Oliver North be forever denied entry in Costa Rica, a recommendation adopted by Costa Rican President Oscar Arias.[13]

North has consistently denied any involvement with drug trafficking, stating on Fox’s Hannity and Colmes, “…nobody in the U.S. government, going all the way back to the earliest days of this under Jimmy Carter, ever had anything to do with running drugs.”[1] Critics counter that although no one in the United States government may have physically trafficked in drugs, there was a coordinated and well documented effort to assist those who did. At the very least, North’s critics contend, high ranking government officials turned a blind eye to the trafficking going on all around them because it proved to be such a reliable source of funding.

[edit] Shredding Government Documents
North admitted shredding government documents when the Iran Contra scandal became public. North admitted shredding all documents relating to his contra and Iranian activities - at Casey's suggestion. He testified that McFarlane had asked him to alter official records to delete references to direct assistance to the contras and that he'd helped.[14]

[edit] Later life and career