Author Topic: STRAIGHT vs. PISTOLGRIP  (Read 1676 times)

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
STRAIGHT vs. PISTOLGRIP
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »
I like the looks of straight grip stocks.They're found on a lot of older guns and some ,but not many ,newer ones. The shotgunners seem to like them more than riflemen. That said,what are your opinions on the two types AND the reasoning behind those opinions,not, "if it was good enough for grampa it's good enough for me! A number of people seem to have re-worked some of the pistol-gripped standard stocks and I think MSP-RET has altered a Monte Carlo to a Schuetzen style stock. I had a line ,early on, for db22s trade offer but Quick made the "I'll take it move" and I missed that beauty .Lessons are paid for in money or pain. I'm learning.   KODY

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: STRAIGHT vs. PISTOLGRIP
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »
I have both styles.  The straight grip looks better and the pistol grip allows you to handle recoil better IMO.  Scoped Handis really need the Monte Carlo style IMO but I don't like the way they look..
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Saloon slug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »
It really depends on the gun and what I use it for. In a levergun I prefer the straight grip mostly for the look. But for guns that I use for longer ranges I like to have a pistol prip stock. It allows a finer degree of trigger control and recoil managment.

They both have their use and I like and use both.
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:35:37 PM »
I disagree that you need a Monte Carlo stock with a scope, for hunting at least, they may be nice for target shooting or where ou have a lot of time to get set for a shot. What I do believe is you cannot comfortably or effectively use a Monte Carlo stock on a shotgun or with iron sights (generally), especially in hunting or fast shooting situations. I do like the straight stocks for both fast handling shotguns AND rifles in hunting situations here in the Northeast woods. The pistol grip stocks are not bad and they MAY handle recoil a BIT better than a straight stock in the real heavy magnum calibers, especially for newer shooters, but for shotguns and standard calibers I find for me that straight stocks work just fine, but I have never been accused of being recoil shy either. It's really up to what feels best and works best for you, but thir emust be a reason they have put straight stocks on fine fast handling shotguns for all these years....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
I'm interested in the Scheutzen [sp?] style because [1] It has the straight stock look and  [2] it provides me with the higher cheekrest that I'm always seeking.I always seem to be looking into the backend of whatecver action I'm using and adding a scope makes it worse!    KODY

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 05:25:23 PM »
I've got a few straight grip stocks that are scoped, they work fine for me. I put that nice stock of Dave's on my 35 Remington, handles real well.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »
To me this is one of those personal preference things.

I like a pistol grip on rifles I'm going to be taking my time with.  Varmint rifles, target work and the like.  For a saddle gun or brush rifle the straight stock works best IMO.  Either will do but some advantages and drawbacks are there for both types.  Never met a stock with a thumbhole that fit me.  Some folks love them.

As to recoil, personally I see little difference just from the grip.  Drop of the stock makes a big difference in this regard for my use.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 02:53:01 AM »
I think the straight grips are faster handling. That is why you see them on shot guns, lever actions and such. I think the pistol grips give you better trigger control. That is why on bench rest guns the grip is vertical. It gives you a better angle on the trigger, and better control of the trigger. With the fast handling guns, trigger control is secondary to how fast you can shoulder the gun and get a good sight picture. When carrying a straight stock the hand just seems to slide around it naturally as the gun is raised to the shoulder. Trigger control is not even thought of. When the gun gets into position and the sight picture is made the trigger is pulled almost unconsciously. You will not find 4 ounce trigger pulls on a shot gun or a lever action intended for real field work. It might go off before you are ready. You can have a straight stock with a raised cheek piece, but IMO they do not go well together. The idea of a straight grip is fast handling and quick sight picture. If you scope a straight grip, it kind of defeats the purpose of fast handling. As far as recoil - The gun pushes straight back from the muzzle. So perceived recoil is a function of how far the muzzle (barrel) is above the center line of the stock. It has nothing to do with straight grips or thumb hole, etc. straight grips usually have more drop that a curved grip so it feels like there is more recoil because there is more muzzle flip when fired. The real recoil is a function of the weight of a gun and the energy of the cartridge. In general straight gripped guns are lighter than curved grip stocked guns, because they are used in situations where fast handling is paramount. Recoil will feel more, because of lighter weight and stock drop. Then there is just the personal preference factor. Traditional guns usually have straight grips. I can not think of any muzzle loading guns made in the 19th century that had pistol grips. This carried over to the first modern powdered guns too. So some like the "traditional" look of the straight grip. Personally I like the straight grips on shot guns and the lever actions, but I prefer the vertical grips on a varmint/bench gun. For a field rifle, I prefer a semi - pistol grip. It kind of is a cross of the two.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 03:21:54 AM »
If straight grips on a shotgun are faster, why do international skeet shooters not use them?  That's about the fastest shooting you will EVER be in guaranteed.  :D

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 04:37:34 AM »
Well there could be a lot of theories on this, but my take on it is they are like target shooters and trigger control is important to them as well as quick handling. They do not take 1 or 2 shots here and there. They take lots of shots, so ergonomics would come into play here too. The pistol grip or semi-pistol grip puts the wrist into a more comfortable position for prolonged shooting. I have never shot skeet. Do they have the gun shouldered when the "bird" is released? If so then fast shouldering would not be a factor, only fast swinging. At the very least they would be in a position to easily shoulder the gun, with the hand already positioned on the grip. They would not be in an awkward position just as that pheasant or a covey of quail takes off unexpectantly or a deer jumps up 6 feet in front of you. Then there is the personal preference thing again. ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 05:41:02 AM »
Straight grips are faster handling, pistol grips offer more control. Just my opinion.

LaOtto222, do not know if it is proper or not, but when shooting skeet, our guns are shouldered at the pull.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 06:44:52 AM »
... Do they have the gun shouldered when the "bird" is released?

LaOtto222, do not know if it is proper or not, but when shooting skeet, our guns are shouldered at the pull.

Well, when I shot on the informal Ft. Rucker Dept. of Standards and Instructor Training Team waaaaaay back, we shot the good ol' american garden variety skeet; gun mounted.  Shooting International skeet on the other hand and at that time anyway, you called for the birds with the gun dropped from the shoulder.  What I did was mount the weapon with POA being the 21 yd center pole, track the bird's path back to the house, drop the butt from the shoulder making sure the muzzle maintained it's attitude, and call for the bird. 

Hence Tyke's identification of the brand of skeet he was referring to...

... why do international skeet shooters not use them?  ...
  (emphisis added)

I think, but that's an assumption, I hate assumptions...  :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 07:28:52 AM »
As one gets older and has to deal with arthritic hands, the pistol grip is more to my liking. It isn't always what we like but what we have to do to keep going.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »
I much prefer straight grip vs pistol grip. It just feels better to me. I only have one gun left with a pistol grip (.22 LR Sporster) and I can't wait to replace it with a straight grip. The rest of my guns all have straight grips. It's a personal preference for me.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »
IMHO,
  Straight grips belong on Lever rifles and side by side shotgun's.

Personally, I scope all rifles other than levers. It works just for me. If I don't feel I need a scope a lever always fits the bill. So a pistil grip and montecarlo comb are what I like on my rifles. Handi's included. Although, I do have a couple straight gripped Handis with peeps on them that work very well too...

I really like the slim and trim feel of a thin wristed SXS.

Just my humble opinion, but what ever floats your boat. Differences are what makes this country great.. More options ain't a bad thing!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 03:24:04 PM »
Many (if not most) Marlin lever actions have pistol grips.  They are just as fast as the straight grip.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 03:47:38 PM »
Many (if not most) Marlin lever actions have pistol grips.  They are just as fast as the straight grip.

Aha but the REAL levers are straight.  ::) ;)
   I know many of the 336's where pistol grip. (At last count my collection was only missing three models form the 50's 'till early 90's!!) But Marlin also made many with straight grips (Look for Texans and Marauders) As a youngster, my Pop also had a well worn 1892 Win that I loved to shoot. Sadly that one is long gone but I now have one of my own. That's what I grew up with so that's what I like. Fast or slow is up to the shooter and his/her experience. To me the straight grips just feel right.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.