Author Topic: Model 70 safety problems  (Read 638 times)

Offline Matt_243

• Trade Count: (0)
  • When its good, its good, when its bad, well......
Model 70 safety problems
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:18:54 PM »
Hey all,

I have a mates Win Model 70 XTR serial No G1387051 in 222 Rem with a blind magazine.
Its in fairly poor condition as it rattled around in his farm vehicle for many years and I am going to clean it up for him.
It has a problem where you cock the rifle and the safety is not moveable to the middle position or to safe? The rifle still fires, however. He states that the safety has not worked for years.
Besides being unsafe, this also causes a problem when trying to disassemble the bolt for a good thorough clean.

Anyone had this issue before and any tips on fixing it. Or is it a gunsmith problem?

cheers
Matt
Matt

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Model 70 safety problems
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »
While a good cleaning of a torn-down bolt might reveal all sorts of junk in there, preventing proper  safety operation - the safety end, and/or firing pin retainer/cocking piece at the rear part of the striker, may be worn - needing the parts replaced.
The striker parts all interlock, and readily disassemble from each other, once the mainspring/pressure is removed.
IIRC, the safety parts are held by a retainer pin.

My M70XTR's not available, right now, for me to look at in detail for you - but when I open my safe tomorrow, I'll double check it (I haven't had to take one apart for over ten years) and repost if anything I see is different from my recollection above.

[EDIT: My safety appears to be held in by the striker/firing pin parts, and should be able to be removed from the bolt shroud after the FP, etc, are disassembled.  Take care that the safety detent & spring don't take a side trip, when the shaft is withdrawn.]

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !