Author Topic: Handi Rifle or Marlin XL7?  (Read 603 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Handi Rifle or Marlin XL7?
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:36:14 PM »
OK guys I am at sort of a cross roads here. I am gunless right now and have not been for many years. It has really been a bad year or so with work so I sold off all my guns hopping to be able to buy new ones when things pick up. Well I have been looking for an all around rifle for Groundhogs and White Tail Deer. I think I have come to the conclusion that the 7MM-08 would fit the bill perfectly as a deer and Groundhog rifle. If I were to buy just a 7MM-08 for both I would go with a special run that Remington has done in the SPS Varmint 7MM-08. There are still a few on Gunbroker the last time I checked. I really don't think I will be able to afford one before they run out of them. So here is my thinking at this time. I could buy a XL7 in a 30-06 for this coming deer season or maybe a Handi Rifle in a 30-06. The Marlin XL7 is not much more than a Handi ( maybe $40.00 or so ) and it is a bolt action witch is normally more accurate. I really don't know witch way to go. I could buy a 30-06 in either of the Marlin or Handi and come spring time maybe buy a Remington SPS Varmint 22-250 or I could go back to my oringal idea and just buy a Remington SPS Varmint 7MM-08. Please help me decide. I have owned several Handie's in the past and do miss them but they are and were not meant to kill a Groundhog at 500 yards. I think that is best left to a bolt rifle. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Handi Rifle or Marlin XL7?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »
Well, I have a bunch of Handi's, love em all, but I handled a Marlin XL7 the other day, and as soon as I find one in 25-06 0r 270, I'll buy it. Great trigger and a light rifle, better quality than My Steven 200's or Mossberg ATR.........