Author Topic: Foot note to stubbing  (Read 469 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Foot note to stubbing
« on: August 02, 2008, 05:44:44 PM »
Just for fun I measured the chamber wall thickness on my Savage 24 30-30 barrel.  It is .710 Daimeter with a wall thickness of .145 inch.  It is a fairly low pressure round, but I was surprised that it was so thin.  Guess that steel must be a lot stronger than one would think.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Foot note to stubbing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 02:49:01 AM »
Larry, the chamber wall on my 24 in .357/20 gauge appears to be thin also (perhaps I am used to looking at the thick chamber walls of Handis lately) and I was/am concerned about reaming it out to a .357 Max because of the extra pressure. I am not so concerned about the collector value. What do you think? I tried a .360 DW in it but it would not fit, no long throat like the Handis....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:30:28 AM »
Varmint Al has some excellent information and analyses on actions and barrels... http://www.varmintal.com/.

Most modern barrel are made of Chrome-moly steel and have fairly high yield strengths, 150,000-200,000 psi.  Not always, but for the most part the bolt lugs will shear off before the receiver or barrel  goes unless there are stress risers or cracks around the barrel threads.

Using a simple program I have and low yield, 125,000 psi and ultimate strength, 150,000 psi I came up with a burst pressure of roughly 77,000 psi for the .710/.145 numbers.  Even a wall thickness of .100 was right at 50,000 psi burst pressure.

Consider the 45 and 50 Alaskan on a Marlin 336 action.  Even after threading and considering the thin spot on the bottom of the barrel for mag tube clearance, there is still enough barrel meat, in the .100-.125" range, to handle pressures slightly over 40 KPSI safely...but it is always better to err on the side of safety than to go getting all wild and wooly.

MAP for the 357 Magnum is 45 KCUP and for the 357 Maximum is 48 KCUP.  You would gain about 7 gr h20 more capacity in the Maximum and using slower burning "fast" rifle powder would still keep you out of the pressure problem realm and even get more velocity...up near 2000 f/s with 180 gr pointy bullets in a 14" barrel or slightly more with your Md 24...at the same pressures or slightly less, as the Magnum...Check out the Accurate Arms #2 manual or online.  If I had that particular Savage I would certainly look at the conversion very hard...the 180 to 225gr 35 cal jacketed or hard cast lead bullets would turn that cartridge into a real bear whapper with a little gentle persuasion and an eye on the pressure curve. 

Depending on the chamber OD the 356 Win, 35 Rem, 357 Herrett are others to look at, or the 30-30 necked up to 35 cal (357 Herrett "Long") Remember...you load to the capacity of the RECEIVER...NOT the particular cartridge...the larger cases will give you more velocity at the same pressure or lower pressures as the 357 Magnum.  Whether it is feasible or cost effective is your call...The 357 Maximum would be the quick and simple way, tho'.

'Njoy

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:52:23 AM »
Just from looking at the pressure ratings of the cartriges the 30-30 is 42,000 PSI with the 357 Max at 40,000 PSI, I don't know the chamber thickness of the 357 Mag barrel, but given that the 30-30 case diameter is about .420 after fireing I would think the 357 Max would work out fine unless it has a much smaller diameter barrel.  The pressure calculations are intersting, could make me consider different cartridges for a stubbing project.  I have a 300 Savage reamer.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:19:18 AM »
whoops...hit the wrong button.  Sorry