Author Topic: 243 AI LOADS  (Read 849 times)

Offline singleshot

• Trade Count: (2)
243 AI LOADS
« on: July 28, 2003, 04:50:39 PM »
:D Need some help with load data for a 243AI--15inch encore barrel.  Plan on shooting heavier bullets for deer size game.  Any help is appreciated.   Ed :grin:
NRA LIFE MEMBER SINCE 1978

Offline onesonek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
243 AI LOADS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 02:07:24 AM »
Hi SS, I don't have personal experience with the 243 AI, but here's what I've heard and what I know.  JD Jones (SSK Ind) told me that powders that produce best rifle velocities, generally do well in handguns. As AI's, most say use standard cartridge starting loads, and work your way up.  I use starting loads for fireforming. Using a chronograph, micrometer,and the target, just to see how everything is working. Keep in mind that accuracy can improve as pressure goes up, but if gets worse I switch powders. If I use fireform factory loads brass, I have found I can start at 7% below max of the standard data.  BUT, I always check casehead for expansion as I start and proceed!! :D onesonek

Offline 22hornet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
243 AI LOADS
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 02:47:03 PM »
Not sure myself on this one I got a 243 AI 15" I have only shot it 5 times so far because of a terential rain that interupted my day at the range.  Here's a question as far as fire forming out of the 5 rounds I shot 4 came out to what I would say is perfect the 5th though is rounded.  Is this normal I had loaded all the same load but this one just didn't want to get that nice pretty 40 degree shoulder like the others.  Also mine is a 1-12 twist so I'm sticking with the lighter 85 and less bullets but I am glad to see I'm not the only one with a 243 AI.

Mike
Mike D.
BMET