Author Topic: .22 Hornet w/ Lil Gun?  (Read 969 times)

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
.22 Hornet w/ Lil Gun?
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:42:48 PM »
Anyone using Lil' Gun in their .22 Hornet?  I picked up a Savage Model 40 this weekend, and I have a pound of unopened powder.  The only real issue I have right now is, the lightest bullet I have is 50gr.  I'm not looking for a lot of velocity, just a nice, accurate load.  I plan on picking up some 35-45gr eventually, but right now I will stick with the 50gr bullets.

Thanks!
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: .22 Hornet w/ Lil Gun?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:46:32 PM »
I loaded some 50 gr nosler BT with lil gun. 11 grains I beleive, did ok 1 1/2 inch group, but the 40 grain v maxes did a little better
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:08:47 AM »
There are a lot of people that have said they got good results with Lil'Gun. I have got very erratic results from Lil'Gun. I have tried WW 296 with only slightly  better results. Stick with the heavier 40 grain plus bullets if you are going to use Lil"Gun. I have a Handi in 22 Hornet 1 - 12" twist and a Model 40 1 - 14" twist. The Hornet handles the 50 grain bullet better than the Savage. I found that I have to push the 50's toward the top of their pressure range to stabilize them. It will not stabilize a 36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade at all. Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:54:47 AM »
had good results  with it in the hornet, used 35gr up to 45 gr, never tried 50's , what do you want it to do? thats where you start id say ?

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:57:37 AM »
there have been several good threads about the model 40 and lil gun ocer on the savage rifles forum.

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:43:13 AM »
I've been using Lil Gun with my Handi Hornet for about a year now and get very good results with 40 VMax. Tried a few of the lighter "hornet" bullets but the 40 VMax is very consistent. It is my std loading for squirrels and coyotes now.
Every so often I get the itch to try something new, like the Super Explosive 50s from Hornady but then I stop myself. Why try to fix what isn't broken.
The 35 VMax may be more explosive but how much more do I need. When I hit a squirrel with the 40s, all I see in my scope is a red mist.
Shot a coyote at about 170 yards last month. Bang flop and dead right there. I am a believer.
Best of all, the boat tail bullet is really easy on the thin hornet case necks.

Bob A

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »
There are a lot of people that have said they got good results with Lil'Gun. I have got very erratic results from Lil'Gun.

Me too, I've had extreme shot to shot variation in velocity and pressure indications with Lil Gun in .22 K Hornet, .30 Carbine, .357 mag and max. Maybe I just got one wierd can of it but the stuff just flat scares me, and no, it was not from the recalled lot.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 06:03:04 PM »
The guy below preferred 35 grain v max with 12.5 grains of lil gun!

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
how come God made 'em outta meat?