Author Topic: Flip scope covers  (Read 667 times)

Offline Ponydog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Flip scope covers
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:58:08 AM »
I was thinking of getting some scope civers ( new ones) ..  Does anyone have an opion on a brand that has worked well for them , has held up?
Any argyuments on clear , versus the yellow tinted lenses?       I am just curious...
“when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government.”

Offline Dave in WV

Re: Flip scope covers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:33:57 PM »
I have Butler Creek flip ups on all of my scopes. I get the solid black ones. The see through style doesn't seem to stay closed as well as the all black ones. When hunting in wet weather I always keep them closed unless I'm going to shoot so I don't get condensation on the lens.  Here's a site for sizing and I have ordered from them too.
http://www.eabco.com/flip_open.htm
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:11:46 AM »
I have several sets of them (Butler Creek). I leave them closed until I am ready to shoot. I have them adjusted so I use my thumbs to "flip" them up. As I raise the gun up I flip the front one up with my left thumb. I then I hit the little button on the back one with my right thumb. It all seems real natural to me. It takes a lot longer to read than to do. They seem to be holding up well too. BTW they are the all black ones. Good Shooting and Good Luck.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:43:31 PM »
Hate them wouldn't have them on a scope/gun of mine if ya paid me to do it. I've picked up a bunch of them over the years on scopes I bought used or on rifles I traded for or bought. I just take them off and toss them out of my way. In fact I have a set on my computer desk rat now that I took off a scope I bought used thru the classifieds here. They came on the scope and this is where I opened the box so I took them off and tossed them to the back of my desk and have never touched them since. No clue how many might be in boxes or drawers around the house but none will ever go on a scope on a rifle or handgun of mine.

I do use a little rubber cover called a Bikini scope cover I think on my scopes just when in storage or in transit to the hunt site. As soon as the hunt starts off they come until the hunt is over tho. To my eyes nothing looks sillier than a scope with covers flipped up on it, well OK maybe a 50mm or larger objective on a scope on a hunting rifle and then add the flippers and that truly is the most ugly and silly thing I can think of to do to a rifle. Well OK maybe putting a scout scope on is sillier.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:21:48 PM »
I use a cross cut from an old inner tube when I rarely use a cover.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 12:04:09 AM »
Bill - How about a barrel de-resonator? :D

I never thought much about the flip ups in the past, never owned them. I bough a new scope with them on it about a year ago. It was a 2 X 7 X 38 scope. I bought it for a carrying/hunting rifle. I thought I would give them a try, since it was free. I liked how they worked and got used to it very quickly. I bought a few sets since for the same type application. I think they look silly with the covers up. It kind of ruins the clean lines of the rifle. But, when I carry the rifle I leave them closed, too much of a chance to get them caught up on brush and such. When I am ready to shoot, I flip them up like described above and can do it fairly quickly and does not slow down the shoulder mounting much at all. The covers keep the brush from scratching the lens, picking up dirt and helps keep the inclement weather off the lens. When they are "down" it does not mess up the lines too much and when I am looking down the tube, I can not see the flip ups and I do not care what others think. As soon as I am done shooting, I snap them back down. I do not have to worry about loosing/misplacing the things either. I keep a rifle by the back door for "pest" control. These are real nice for that application. They keep the dirt off the lens while stored and all I have to do is flip them up to shoot. On Varmint guns, they are not needed or wanted in my case. The Binni style Bill described fit that application much better. I do not care for lighted cross hairs, like Bill, I think 50mm + lens look silly (doable, but silly) on a hunting/carrying rifle and would not be caught dead with a barrel de-resonator but those are some of my preferences. We all have them.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:14:26 AM »
I have the Butler Creek flip ups on a couple of my rifles. I like the fact that they keep dust and dirt off my lens & they don't require a pocket to store them out of the way. What I don't like about them is the noise they make when they open. As far as the looks, I can't see them when I'm looking through the scope and I close them when I'm not.

By the way Greybeard, you can send me the ones you have tossed aside. I'll see if I can use them.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »
I tend to only run with the rear flip up on my longer range rifles as i make a small circular range card to fit inside the rear cover so that when it is flipped up it is right there where i can read it while still keeping shooting position.  I hate to see big ones taped to stocks.

Offline Ponydog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:22:58 AM »
Lots of opinions...guess hte reason I asked is because that fine gritty strachy slit sand in S Texas.....gets EVERYWHERE....and I do mean everywhere.....I am sure that over the years..I have carried a half a ton of south Texas dirt back to Missouri....either on me, my clothes, my blinds...guns...truck, etc......I just know that it takes a very long few days to get those guns really clean after a couple of weeks if hard hunting down there........................wait.......hunting down there is not hard......it's the best trip of the year.....I love that dirt.........heck ...never mind........I agree with you Greybeard.....to heck with flip scopes...
“when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government.”

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
I'm with Graybeard on this one.   I've tried them several times, and always end up taking them off.  They make any refocusing of the scope a real task, and just always seem to be in the way.  The rubber "bikini" cover is the way to go.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ponydog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 03:58:52 AM »
I have those......just thought the others might be better.......sound like maybe they are more hat than cattle.......