Author Topic: seater plug problem  (Read 686 times)

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
seater plug problem
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:13:16 PM »
I'm loading a 44mag using wfn bullets. the problem is when i seat the bullet i get a ring cut around the nose of the bullet . using lee dies any help   bill
never to much gun

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
Re: seater plug problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
Tips that I have read of are, (1) get a different type of seater plug
                                        (2) file down the plug to better fit the bullet profile
                                        (3) using epoxy, put the epoxy onto the seater plug, then place the bullet, coated with a release agent, into the epoxy
                                             creating in effect a new profile seating plug
I too get that ring on the .357 depending on bullet style.

Brian, in Ohio
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »
My Hornady 45 colt seating die came with a second seating plug. Not sure if it is a blank, intended to be machined to fit whatever shape you want, or whether it is supposed to be used for flat nosed bullets as is, but it works great for them. It has no cavity at all, it is just cut off square across the bottom.

Andy

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:03:38 PM »
Most of my handgun die sets came with two seater plugs. Usually a round-nosed plug and a flat-point plug. Some of the flat-point plugs are cut too deep for wide flat noses and , like the round-nose plug, leave that ring around the bullet.

Among the other tips already posted, I've used an inverted gas check, to take up the space in the cavity, as well as parafin wax. Go ahead an experiment - or call Lee and have them create a fix.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:11:09 AM »
I have RCBS dies for my 44 Mag. It uses 1/4" X 28 threads for the seating plug to go through the die top. I have bought bolts that are about 2 1/2" - 3" long (depending on application) and then used the head to make different shapes for a seater plug. I have one that I cut off the head and worked down the shank to fit the hollow point of Remington Bullets. It does a fine job of filling into the hole and seating the bullet to a uniform depth and it even rounds out the hollow point if it is deformed a little. The head can be left on and turned down a little to use for flat points too. I take a hack saw and cut a slot in the top of the bolt to make adjustments with, just like the original has. Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:45:44 AM »
Bullets come with many nose configurations, a die's seater plug can only match one.

You have three options. 

1)  Live with the mark, it does no harm anyway.
2)  Order a new plug that matches your chosen bullet.
3)  Modify the plug you have using a daub of epoxy or hot glue as described in reply #1.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 03:38:52 AM »
I would ignore the ring myself, because the same thing happens for my 44 Mag and 45 Colt bullets LBT style bullets with RCBS dies.  I just live with them as is and shoot them.

But, contact Lee, I believe you can send them a bullet and they can make a seater plug for a fee that matches your bullet shape.

yooper77

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 05:23:02 AM »
I know that Redding makes blank seater plugs. Leave them as is, when I'm loading WFN bullets. Check with whoever made the dies, and order blank. I'm sure they'll do it for you.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman