Author Topic: Missing Rifling  (Read 846 times)

Offline randymac

• Trade Count: (0)
Missing Rifling
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:01:04 AM »
This is my first post. I've been lurking since January. This is a great site and info.
I'm from Washington State.

Well, I purchased a Ultra 20ga Deluxe in April. I cleaned the gun when I first bought it and the barrel looked perfect. This past weekend was the first chance I got to go out to the range. After a couple shots, I cleaned the barrel and found a piece of rifling missing. Has anyone experienced that problem?

I call customer support and talked to Ed, he said to send it back. He said they would probably send me a new barrel. I just mailed is out yesterday. Does anyone know the turnaround time?

I'll try and post a pic. I hope it works.

Thanks, randymac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Missing Rifling
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
Welcome aboard randymac! Considering the backlog caused by the closing of Gardner and the move to Ilion, the repair will likely take a while, I wouldn't expect it back for a couple months from all reports, there are repairs that were sent in the middle of June that still aren't back.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:06:23 AM »
First time I've seen that happen they will take care of you on that for sure make sure to get them to pay the shipping both ways though. Time line on the repair is VERY up in the AIR right now though good luck. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline randymac

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:03:46 PM »
Wow, two months. I hope its less than that. Do you think they can repair the missing rifling?

randymac

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 02:19:22 AM »
Wow, two months. I hope its less than that. Do you think they can repair the missing rifling?

randymac

randymac,

They wont be able to repair that rifling, short of lengthening the forcing cone. The steel in that barrel is defective, and they should destroy that barrel. DO NOT SHOOT IT! In cases like this where their lack of quality control allows these obvious defects to SLIP out, IMO your barrel replacement for warranty should go to the first available barrel fitter for a barrel and then immediately shipped back to you. When I buy any H&R/NEF, I go over them extensively. The place I buy my guns allows me to do this, and when I bought my 20 ga USH LE I turned down three before I found one that didn't have an obvious cosmetic problem.

Call them and request a Call Tag, THEY should pay for shipping both ways on this obvious defect. I would also request that THEY make it a priority. When you buy a new rifle/shotgun, it should be ready to shoot, if not (obvious defect) then THEY need to make it right as quickly as possible and at no cost to the customer. My dealings with Big Green's warranty replacement/repair in the past was the worst of ANY company I have ever dealt with, I sure hope things have changed since then. Good Luck!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline randymac

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 03:58:37 AM »
Thanks for the info.  What's a Call Tag?

randymac

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.  What's a Call Tag?

randymac

randymac,

Basically, it is a pre-aproved authorized order to pick up your package and return it to them on their dime. Call Customer Service and request it! They know what it is, trust me. Tell them your barrel is defective, and you would like a prompt replacement.

"Call Tag

Designed for merchants who want to provide their customers with premium customer care, UPS Call Tag Service provides pickup and prompt return of a package previously delivered by UPS within the 48 contiguous states. When a business issues a Call Tag, UPS picks up the return package at the customer’s location and returns it to the business via UPS Ground. Businesses can also call 1-800-PICK-UPS to schedule the pickup."

http://www.pressroom.ups.com/mediakits/factsheet/0,2305,759,00.html?mkname=ecommerce
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »
Wow..I've never heard of such a thing.  Good thing you were not injured in the process of shooting that defective barrel.  Keep us posted on the turn-around time for the repair.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 05:09:02 PM »
I have, in fact it was posted in the Rifle forum by 95Road king a few years ago, he had a 204 Ruger Handi that keyholed the bullets on the target, found that only about half of the bore was rifled, so he returned it for a replacement which they did.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,53062.msg313177.html#msg313177
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline randymac

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 09:34:37 AM »
Update.

Sent barrel only to H&R per customer service rep. 08/08/08

They looked at it on 08/22/08. They needed the stock and forearm to do a Balance of Arms.

Stock and forearm was sent. 08/25/08

Call them this morning 08/30/08, they fitted a new barrel and shot it at the range this morning and everything was fine. They will be sending it out either today or Tuesday.

One of the customer service rep told me it would take 6 - 8 weeks to get it done. In stead of waiting, I kept checking my repair number twice a week. They were very nice and told me to call and check anytime.
Since they were busy moving their factory and hunting season is right around the corner, I think a month turn around isn't that bad.

randymac

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
Sounds like they took pretty good care of you...Good to hear.  Would have been better if the issue never came up, but it did and they fixed the problem.  Let us know how she shoots when you get her back.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense