Author Topic: Federal Premium Sierra Blitzking Ammo  (Read 1072 times)

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
Federal Premium Sierra Blitzking Ammo
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:56:22 AM »
What are the pros and cons of this ammo?

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: Federal Premium Sierra Blitzking Ammo
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:15:30 AM »
What ?? ???
Well, you can't hunt dangerous game with it ::)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »
IIRC, its very fragile/fragment-able bullet. Designed for varmints.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline kenbev

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:00:16 AM »
Wonder what it would do on Whitetails?

Offline ctk1981

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »
If the shot is placed well it will kill deer without a problem.  Strike something hard with those bullets and they disintegrate on impact.

Offline j104wd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 11:16:29 AM »
the blitzkings are for vamints do not use them on deer. you need the gameking or prohunters from sierra for deer hunting.That being said what caliber and what are your intentions with it. Sierra makes excellent bullets but each gun is different.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 11:40:11 AM »
the blitzkings are for varmints do not use them on deer. you need the gameking or prohunters from sierra for deer hunting.That being said what caliber and what are your intentions with it. Sierra makes excellent bullets but each gun is different.

I couldn't agree more.

Will it kill a Whitetail, sure it will so will a Ball-peen hammer.....

Its each of our responsibility to be a responsible hunter, when you kill, do so quickly and humanely.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline kenbev

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »
As most of you fellows know, I am a Handi Holic. I have 38 different calibers in the Handi Rifle. I want to take a whitetail deer with each caliber. This particular caliber will probably be fired one time at a whitetail and then go back to varmits or into the safe. I have found some of this ammo at a real reasonable price. I don't want to spend $30+ dollars for a box of ammo when I will only need one round. (If I can hit what I shoot at) I will probably buy this ammo, take one neck shot and retire this rifle from deer hunting....If you really need to know the caliber, it is a 220 Swift....

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »
IF you make a neck shot it'll most certainly drop the deer.Don't be suprised if there's no exit wound.I shot one and only one deer with a .223 using 55 grain Nosler Balistic tips.He went right down for the count but there was no exit.The neck bone was like pea gravel.I'd especially advise against using these bullets on a large whitetail even with a neck shot.These are NOT bullets to kill deer with.I've taken several deer with a .223 and it will kill deer with one shot.Please pick a different bullet.Winchester makes a load with their 64 grain bullet and you can probably find a load with a 60 grain  Nosler Partition or Barnes tsx if you must kill a deer with it.Just my 2 cents.

Offline j104wd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »
x2 on the nosler partion I know they load it for the 223 so they probably offer it in the swift as well

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 01:36:09 PM »
Out here in the wild west of Texas , 22 centerfire rifles are very popular. Over the last 30 years I have hunted whitetails with various 22 caliber bullets with great success. Shot placement is critical to clean one shot kills, but a properly place shot in the Texas whitetail will drop them as if they were hit by the hammer of Thor! In addation to my personal experience I have been associated with a youth hunting group. Children are brought in from Childrens homes and allowed to go hunting. "Small" caliber firearms are the rule not the exception.The camp owns 42 centerfire rifles, of which half of them are 222 rem  over the past 40 plus years they have accounted for over 16,000 animals. The 222's kill just as quick as the 243's.
  Again shot placement is important, however the hydrostatic shock  of a small fast bullet kills faster than a larger slow moving bullet. I personally have shot the Texas whitetail with 17 to 45 caliber firearms and have found the 22's to be much more effective that a slow moving 357 or 44 mag . ( bet this gets lots of replies) ;D ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 02:12:12 PM »
Please note that Ken is inquiring about loaded ammo, not bullets for handloading, he doesn't handload so please limit your suggestions to appropriate over the counter ammo.  ;)

thanks,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 03:26:11 PM »
I made my remarks based on the effects of factory ammo as it is all that is used at the kids camp.They use Federal or Remington that is donated by  different folks. The 222 is 50 grain and the 243 is 85 grain. I have used both factory and reloaded ammo for my personal use though . Factory 22-250,220 Swift,223 all kill just as fast and humanely as my top of the list reloads. A 50 gr 223 factory load drops a deer just as fast as my custom 22Cheetah 60 gr traveling at 4060 fps (or for that matter my 338 win mag with 200 grain bullets)
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 02:14:11 AM »
Personally I would not have even posted if I had known this was another 22 for deer question. 

My personal opinion is its too small, doesn't off any room for error and should only be used in extreme circumstances or by the most responsible and experienced hunters. If you are one that is qualified is not for me to say. But if there is a question in your head about it. I'll offer that you are likely not so qualified.

Will it work ADSOLUTELY YES it will, is it the best, absolutely not. Sierra and all other bullet manufactures make bullets for most all situations. If it didn't matter they wouldn't offer different bullets.

Again, this is just my personal opinion.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »
Wouldn't this be a little like tryiing to use a premium 22 mag to kill a deer?  In some states anything under .25 cal is not legal on deer.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline kenbev

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 04:45:10 AM »
All that I asked was your opinion on this type ammo.

Offline ctk1981

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 01:54:30 PM »
As P.O. Ackley put it, there are some spectacular kills with the .220 swift on large game....and there are also some spectacular failures with the .220 swift.  For what its worth, in his first book he stated he had taken mule deer, large burro's at long ranges, and other game and did autopsies to inspect wound channel etc.  They were all clean kills.  However, bullet selection is key......a varmint bullet is not ideal.  Alot comes into play, including velocity at impact, what is struck, type of bullet, etc.....it can be done, but it is not recommended.  A partition bullet or controlled expansion would be more ideal (and what the author of the article had used).  Unsure what there is available in .220 swift factory as it is commonly loaded for varmints.

I know a local guy who has taken several deer with a .223 loaded with 50 grain v-maxes...in all cases they were one shot kills. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 02:03:48 PM »
Here ya go Ken, 60gr Partitions, 55gr TBBC and 53gr TSX.  ;)

Tim

http://www.cpcartridge.com/220swift-V.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain