Author Topic: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT  (Read 999 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT
« on: August 07, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »
I don't know the front from the rear of AK's.
A friend wants too sell me  and AK that is Bulgarian and he swears that it is classified as a pistol because it does not have a stock.
This is almost beyond my ability too believe---especially coming from this person, who, I consider less than reliable on almost any subject.
That is only a part of my lack of understanding, however.
The price of $490 seems unreasonably high.
I don't know why I am even considering this thing or holding this conversation.
Can anyone add too my confusion or add any suggestions ??
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 05:10:20 PM »
You aren't the only one. I would imagine that it is classified as a rifle like the rest depending on barrel length and the overall length.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:32:47 PM »
Can it attach a stock? 

$490 would be a price for a really nice AK.  Really nice. 

I just sold my romanian used for $350, I think the buyer got a good deal, and I didn't lose out on anything either. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »
Williamlayton:  I don't recall which particular model of the Kalashnikov family isn't stocked but if it one of those Mini-aks (pronounced miniack it really isn't worth it).  The barrel on those classified as pistols is much shorter than even the Krinkov Model (which is a short AK, called Shak....not really) and the action may not carry the means to properly attach an AK rear stock.

$490 is unreasonably high.  I don't recall the last AK prices I saw but they sure weren't above $350.

If this person is less than reliable on almost any topic can you trust him to be reliable on a legal sale???

I would thank him very much for the offer but decline.......  Mikey.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:59:10 AM »
You aren't the only one. I would imagine that it is classified as a rifle like the rest depending on barrel length and the overall length.

These seem to be the main issues (at least here in IL) and are determined by the State legislation or perhaps the DNR? The red tape is not too bad though as they use barrel lenght & overall lenght as guide lines.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 02:49:08 AM »
its either a rifle with a barrel over 16 inch or its illegal as its a rifle with a barrel cut off. None are handguns.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 03:10:43 AM »
Lots of AK pistols available. $450 is a decent price if it is indeed an AK variant pistol. Here's one example. I prefer these over the AR pistols.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=200

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 07:07:17 AM »
Thanks boys. When I don't know what I am doing or have a good understanding of what is being offered I generally don't trust many people.
This guy is a friend but a little goofy friend.
Think I will pass.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 07:27:51 AM »
its either a rifle with a barrel over 16 inch or its illegal as its a rifle with a barrel cut off. None are handguns.

Incorrect! Any gun with no means to attach a rifle butt stock or with an attached pistol grip in place of a butt stock is classified as a pistol no matter if the barrel is 2" or 200". There are several makers of AK pistols (we sell them) and 450.00 is a decent price for a Bulgie in near excellent or new condition. Now, are they really useful? As a toy to go bang and plink they will do, and 7.62x39 ammo is still relitivly inexpensive, but they are not all that easy to shoot accurately
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 10:24:47 AM »
William,
Think of it as an investment. As the supply MAY dry up in the next couple years-------demand WILL drive up the prices. Remember the $100 Glock mags? Buy ANY and ALL AR/AK variant that you can afford, standard capacity magazines too. You can't lose money on these things! $450 is still a decent price for the AK pistol. If you don't get it, you'll be kicking yourself a few years from now!!! You have been warned!!!
Savage

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 01:58:11 AM »
Savage
While I respect you AND your advice.
I just can't see the need--cash is a good reason right now--too hold on to something I have decided will not fit into my plans right now.
If the market had not treated me so bad I might do that as a lark. If things get better--well, you know.
That plus I am going to drive too Maine in October, pick up the wife, the Hen, up in Albany then become leaf peepers. Then I am going to dump her back on a plane and wander home.
I think that $500 will be better spent on the trip.
I am really looking forward too this road trip, mostly all by my lonesome old self. I have wanted too go too Maine for this many years.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 02:55:03 AM »
William,
Totally understand the money thing! I got out of the market in 2003 when the market was ,<10,000. Had I stayed in a few more years and got out at >13,000 I'd be buying a few more goodies as an investment too. Just saying, if you can afford any gun, especially a military style rifle, or any hi cap magazines, you can always get your money back later. They ain't goin down!!!! Most likely you can get a >300% proffit in the near future.
I spent a couple winters in Maine many years ago. If you get a chance check out Allagash River Country  up in Aroostook county, northern part of the state. I'm a little envious of you, I'd like to go back up there again myself. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
God's speed,
Savage

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »
put the $490 into ammunition and good magazines for you main blaster. It will be a much better investment than ANYTHING with AK in its designation.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 01:54:17 AM »
SharonAnne, The thought of locating my main blaster would stress me out badly :o :o Cant we just buy one more gun to give it a fair chance in the running?
I will give you the keys to the bike for one day if so. ;D

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 09:13:25 AM »
of course buying a new blaster is ALWAYS a fun option. just not an AK-anything. if it MUST have a 'K' perhaps an HK would do?  keys to the bike? (perk) what bike is that?
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson