Author Topic: Laser Sights for Cannon  (Read 885 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Laser Sights for Cannon
« on: August 09, 2008, 07:48:28 AM »
      This thread is for the exclusive discussion of Laser Sight purchase, attributes, specs, safe use and advantages or disadvantages.  This thread is only as interesting as you make it.  Take it away LASERGUYS!!  Please do us all a favor and remember that a few PHOTOS of actual use would be very nice and go a long way to help explain the appropriateness of laser sights on cannon.       Regards,  M&T
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Laser Sights for Cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »
well my humble opinion is :

THEY DIDNT HAVE LASERS IN THE MID 1600   ;D ;D ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 10:29:14 PM »

THEY DIDNT HAVE LASERS IN THE MID 1600   ;D ;D ;D

Nor airplanes...

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Ancient_Airpla.html

Nor batteries...

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Baghdad_Batter.html

Nor scotch on the rocks in Antarctica?

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Piri_Reis_Map.html

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Finaeus_Map.html

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Buache_Map.html

Meanwhile, although I don't have any pics of a laser attached to a cannon, here's a pic of the beam from one of my green lasers at night. I think this one generates slightly more than 5mw IIRC  ;D

One can buy a laser pointer or module from many sources and easily adapt it to fit a bore plug for sighting a cannon.

I recommend buying one here if you plan to do this...

http://www.atlasnova.com/

The owner, Arnold Beland, will be glad to speak to you about what would be best for your application.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:54:46 AM »
ok maybe its a "few" things we dont know all about  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Laser Sights for Aiming Cannon
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »

THEY DIDNT HAVE LASERS IN THE MID 1600   ;D ;D ;D

Dan,  Are you sure?  Remember, as a Swedish Cannon-Maniac, you are already going against the flow of conventional thought;  you are open-minded and can readily believe that all things are possible.  After all, it looks like they had airplanes in ancient Columbia!!  Thanks to Victor3 for those links and the pic of that bore sighting laser beam.  I was hoping to see if someone had used one of these devices for actual aiming at a distant target, under typical, "let's go to the range", daylight conditions.  Personally, I believe Mike and I will stick with optics, but, although we remain skeptical about the abilities of daylight laser sighting devices, we do hold the door open to someone displaying empirical evidence as in "rounds tightly clustered on a target".  Don't expect us to do this.  We won't, as we have far too many things going on in the next year.  We do hope someone will take up this challenge, however, and prove us to be "old fashioned and ignorant".

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 12:42:36 AM »

THEY DIDNT HAVE LASERS IN THE MID 1600   ;D ;D ;D

Dan,  Are you sure?  Remember, as a Swedish Cannon-Maniac, you are already going against the flow of conventional thought;  you are open-minded and can readily believe that all things are possible

SOME of us remember in the 1960's the USSR claiming to have developed the first laser in - when was it - the 1600's !!   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
SOME of us remember in the 1960's the USSR claiming to have developed the first laser in - when was it - the 1600's !!   ;D

You sure that wasn't the Nazis?  ;D

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=940
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 08:53:24 AM »
Are we going to have to regulate matches, as to what can and what cannot be utilized for sighting at anytime before discharge, or is it already in place? 

Me?  I don't care because I only hitch-up the mule (car is kaput for trailering) to go to a match to supply the wonder and awe factor. I can't hit the floor with my hat but the Lion still roars.

Give it some thought because this may become an issue. Laser is the way of the future and I believe it was a Pole who invented it.  Just like the ones who cracked the Enigma Code that the British took credit for.  >:(

Richard "The Kielbasa Kid".
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 09:14:36 AM »
but I still haven't seen any 1600 laser aiming device in any private collection or museum   ;D ;D
when you can show me one I promise to change opinion   ::) ::)  maybe   ;)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »
I spent the last week at the Pacific Northwest Nuclear Lab doing some contract work.  The Folks I was working with all have funny degrees that Make them Doctors and not a one of them could help me with my aching back.    There were people who use to work for NASA and are nuclear physicist, Microbiologist, Chemists, and who know what else that would be help in developing WMD. These folks are some heavy hitters in the advance weapons system design.

During my visit I brought up the subject of laser sights...it be came very clear these guys didn't have a clue what to use.  But when one asked what what the laser sight was going to be used for, they all got glassy eyed like at kid at Toys 'R us when I told for shooting model cannons...they oohed and aahed and they all wanted to play.   What's the old saying "you can put the scientist in the boy, but you can't take the boy out of the scientist."    ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »
I think that the updated version of the old saying should be: "You can give the boy a cannon; but, you can't
take the cannon away from the boy!"    ;) ;)
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 07:19:43 PM »
A friend of mine used to work out at Los Alamos in laser research. He loves to tinker with lasers and such. I'll shoot him an email and see what thoughs he has.

PNNL does some neat stuff. I originally wanted to do a post-doc project up there in radiotoxicology until they switched everything over to the human genome project and scrapped the radiobiology/toxicology section.
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »
     Don,  we would appreciate a report from you after you have that conversation.  Also you could tell us how easy or hard is it to use these 20 to 35mw lasers SAFELY. 

Douglas and Ex 49'er,  Great story and comments about male human psychology.  We get that glassy eyed stare every time someone puts his finger down the bore of one of our cannons at a gun show, then says,"It's rifled?".  From there on all of our answers start or end with this:   www.gbocannons.com  We aren't kidding!  We should have business cards made up to make it easier to give people that information.

As far as the history of lasers, we don't have a clue and only use them because they cut the bore-sighting chore down to two minutes.  Nobody should have any concerns about lasers aceing someone out of a prize in any competition.  They simply are not allowed.  Since this thread is about their use for aiming or sighting the cannon for point targets, their use will be in the realm of research (our type of use) or recreation shooting or an informal contest among friends who are all equiped with similar sights.

I doubt that this type of sight will show up at this year's NRV Mortar and Cannon shoot in Floyd, Virginia, but we might bring our low-power bore-sighting laser rig to show how easy this task is when you use that devise.

I spotted 26 "guests" the other day;  I just can't figure out why they remain guests.  It only took old farts like Mike and I about 10 minutes to sign up and we are computer Neanderthals, so you could do it in about 3 minutes unless you are younger than about 30, then it should only take about 30 to 40 seconds.  It's FREE and you GET TO SEE 100 % OF THE PHOTOS POSTED, which, for most guys, is why they check the various threads out anyway.  By being a guest we calculate you are missing between 25 and 35 % of the very kool photos that the members post.  There, the only reason you need for becoming a member has just been explained!

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 05:53:53 AM »
Yes!
It has always puzzled me too.  Twenty-six don't just stumble upon this site.  Seems to me you have to be specifically interested and search to find us?  I can't remember how I arrived but I know I'm happy I stayed.  Maybe with a cyber world plagued with spam/theft/crappola, visitors are leery of pounding out the keys and signing up?  As you infer; stone-agers can master the computer enough to do it.  I'm in my 70's. 

When they hit the site, how about a simple enough invitation?  Maybe it will only take a prod.  There may be those among them that have a wealth of contribution to offer. 

I first came on with my "15th c. breechblock cannon" post.  That was months ago and pages ago but I still get visits.  Why would anyone work through pages to get that far back?  Boredom?  Casual interest?  I get visits but few viewers enlarge to study what I have.  They have to click to enlarge and are recorded.

BTW:  they have to click the attachment because I DO NOT know how to present an in-place large image.  Maybe by the time I am in my 80's I'll figure out this computer stuff.

Richard "The Old Guy"   
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!