Author Topic: It won't happen to me!  (Read 851 times)

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
It won't happen to me!
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:15:33 AM »
I fired a .243 in my 30-06. I have a habit of keeping on box of ammo only on the bench. I forgot to switch ammo boxes after I switched rifles while they cooled. Two new shooters arrived at the range so I made sure they had their hearing protection on before I fired "one more shot to check my zero". I even had a warning as I thought " man that round chambered easy". Poor ol' dumb a**. This is after another posted here how it happened to him. I'll carry a picture of this in my ammo box.

Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline beemanbeme

Re: It won't happen to me!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 01:32:04 PM »
KEWL!!  How'd it group?  ???  You Mountaineers just can't stay away from them .243's can you. ;)

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »
Grouped fine before and after / off paper during.   :o
Some can, some can't.  :-\
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:21:07 AM »
WOW!
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 05:57:38 AM »
There are worse, much worse mixups possible :o
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »
Looks to be a severely crumpled case...all the way to the shoulder.  Interesting how it crumpled into itself instead of outward from the expanding gasses to fill the rifle throat.

Primer pocket about "normal"?  Bullet exited cleanly is assumed.  No apparent damage to your rifle is also assumed.  So, the real damage was to the softest part...your ego, and by all means it would be the same for any one of us.

Being a good example of a bad example isn't always the worst place to be, but it sucks anyway you look at it. Glad you didn't get hurt.

What reaction did you get from the "new guys" on the firing line?

Offline Sweet 6.5

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
 ;D They looked at each other and said "It won't happen to ME"

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 07:33:59 AM »
Being kinda from the shallow end of the gene pool, I'd never have say 7-08 ammo in the house that had been reformed from .308 brass and own a .308 with ammo for it at the same time.

I know that .222 ammo will often fire in a .223 chamber.  When you put them side by side, you'd wonder how a fellow could get them mixed up but on two different occasions, a .222 round has nestled down in a block of .223 ammo not to be noticed then nor when I was shooting from the bench. Since I own 3 .223's and only one .222, I have a .222 for sale. :(

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 10:50:44 AM »
Land Owner, the guy at the other end of the firing line had the most reaction. He commented it didn't sound right and I probably needed to check the bore for an obstruction. The new arrivals just kinda looked over my way. The barrel had a good bit of powder laying in it (H450, a slow ball type). The bullet cleared the barrel. I punched the bore with a dry patch, wiped out the chamber, and chambered a fired round before resuming firing.
--Albert Einstein