Author Topic: Measuring headspace  (Read 626 times)

Offline Mike Britton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Measuring headspace
« on: August 09, 2008, 04:29:20 PM »
So I have a .30-30 SB2, and while cleaning out a closet this weekend I find two .410 barrels that I've had so long I'd forgotten them.
One is pretty rusty, so I'll take it to Tulsa and see If someone wants to trade something for it. I tried the other on my .30-30 receiver, and it fits, but with just ever so little movement when closed.
How do I measure headspace here? Do I need a no-go gauge? how much play can one of these .410 barrels have and still be safe?
I pick up Handi-rifles at the gun shows all the time that have some play in the lock-up.
Understanding that the action SHOULD lock up tight, I also appreciate that's it's not a perfect world, and I've shot many a rifle that probably had questionable headspace.
While I have your attention, has anybody out there got any opinions on the .357 Maximum for the SB2? My Uncle shot it in his contender and loved it.
In a 22" barrel, it should really come to life, and I could get one of the .357 Max barrels and add sights to it, and have a good mate for my .30-30 barrel. Thanks, Mike
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Measuring headspace
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
It should probably have no movement, but I have an old 16 gauge that has some and I have shot it for years with no problems, probably depends on how deep the rim is cut on your barrel.  Don't trade off the rusty .410 barrel, I need one for a stubbing project, PM me.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 01:58:01 AM »
 For the cartridge to head space properly it needs to be fully seated into the barrel. This cannot happen if there is space between the recoil shield and the barrels breech.

Will it work as you have it now, very likely. Is it prudent to do so, no.

Look at the FAQ and stickies on fitting handi barrels, Quick posted up for us. All the info you need to properly fit them is there.

I have a Maxi and LOVE IT!!!  Yes you def do get a boost in velocities. I am getting just over 2100 from a 180 Speer FP. Shot a couple Deer with a number of different bullets. I have found the 180SSP a bit too soft for this velocity. I also didn't care for the 180 Partition. This surprised me as I figured it would be Tailor made.  The 180 FP is a bit tough, but as I always shoot for bones, its works exceptionally well. My buddie shot one doe thru the ribs with this load and got almost a quarter sized exit hole. She ran about 100 yards and piled up. IIRC, One rib was hit.

CW

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 02:32:53 AM »
 CW, Soon as I get my other 2 357 mag barrels I'm gonna make one into the Max.  What didn't you like about the Partition?  What powders are you using?  Any info from anyone would be real helpful.  Thanks, DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 02:47:21 AM »
Get the Max. I love mine, Mine has a 18 inch barrel & shoots the 180 xtps real good using RL7 . Ive got some LIL Gun & some 180SSP that Im gonna try soon.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:09:06 PM »
The nose was too soft for the velocity, It came completely off and the exit hole was only a 3/8" diameter. I never lost a deer with it or the SSP. I just don't like it when the bullets don't exist or when they only leave a little hole.

As for powders, I have tried them all...  Lil Gun and inperticular RL-7 are tops.

If you throttled back a bit it might be fine. I don't HAVE to HAVE top velocity, but the accuracy is so good and the groups open up a bit if I slow it down.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 11:51:25 AM »
Ok, two things here. First, thanks to cwlongshot for the info. Second, Larry,, how do I send you a PM? I spoke to someone earlier, and got my hand slapped for doing it wrong.
At 60, I don't know enough about forums to know all the etiquette, and I'm really not sure I care to. Mike
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »
Hey, I'm 60, nothing wrong with being 60 at all, you're never too old to learn a new trick!! ;D Hit the personal message button which is the button on the right below the member's user name right under their post count on any of their posts. It will be blue if they're online, gray if offline. You can also click their username and click send member a personal message.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »
Thanks, Tim. I've learned more on this forum that any other I've ever been on.