Author Topic: Slug Ammo for 12ga. USH  (Read 702 times)

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Slug Ammo for 12ga. USH
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:29:18 AM »
Next week I will be buying a new killer combination to hunt deer in Ohio, where we are required to use slug guns.  I am buying a new 12 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter equipped with the Nikon Slughunter "bullet drop compensator" scope.  My question is:  What ammo have you found to shoot well in this gun?  I would like to reach out to 150-200 yards.  I am willing to spend whatever it takes to make it happen, but don't want to spend $100 "testing" different ammo.  If you guys can help me out by steering me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!

Please reply!
Buckshooter
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Slug Ammo for 12ga. USH
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:24:24 PM »
I have the same setup..Only with the Omega instead of the Slugmaster..Without the bde reticle..The people wqhere I bought my scope told me..The Slugmaster is set up for the bullet's in the 1900 fps range...After mine busted my eye open I never shot it again.. But I pulled the Rifle scope off of it and put the 5" eye relief Nikon shotgun scope on it.... It didnt seem to like the SST ... But I think I need to give it another  chance...Drop

Offline jrkrk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
Buckshooter mine likes the remington ultra core-lokts and the hornady sst's.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
They all shoot a little different and if you expect 150-200 yard shots you need to find one that shoots 1900 or better and at roughly $20 a box it don't take much to reach $100 but there is no other way to find what yours will shoot best. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:22:56 AM »
Mine likes the Remington Copper Solids, but I confess I've never shot anything else through it but Core-Lokt.  The CS provide gimme shots out to 120yds.  I tried the CL before season last year and I found they were no more accurate at 100yds and had much more severe recoil.  I will stick with the copper solids for now.

I've heard the Buckhammer performs quite well, too, but I've never tried it.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »
I get great performance out of Lightfield Hybred 2 3/4" sabot slugs in the blue box...Not quite as much money as the SSTs, Partition Golds, etc...I tried others but went back the the Lightfields.  They aren't going to win any speed contests but I don't care about that...I want an accurate slug that will do it's job if I do mine.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline FASTMIKE0721

• GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 01:37:13 AM »
REMMINGTON PREMEIR COPPER SOLID SABOT  HANDS DOWN !!!!!!!

THEY ARE AMAZING LOL    MY BUDDY TOOK A 50 CENT PIECE SIZE MARKER DRAWN KILL ZONE OUT AT 100 YARDS PERFECT CENTER.  WITH A CHEAP 4X BANNER SCOPE

PROVIDING YOUR GUN LIKES THEM YOU MIGHT WANNA STICK WITH THEM BECAUSE IT WOULD ELIMINATE TRYING ALL DIFFERENT BRANDS. 

HAVENT SHOT USH 12   YET BUT I CAN JUST ABOUT GARUNTEE THEY WILL BE MY SLUG OF CHOICE.

MIKE
07 H&R ULTRA SLUG DEL 12 WITH BUSHNELL TROPY 3X9X40
06 S&W 629 CLASSIC 8.375 WITH 2X7 BURRIS POSILOCK
CVA STAGHORN INLINE 50CL. WITH TASCO WORLDCLASS 3-9
MOSSBERG 500A SMOOTHBORE SLUGSTER
HORTON YUKON SL 150 COMPOUD CROSSBOW--LS MX EXP

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 04:14:37 AM »
I did go to the range and found that Hornady's SST'S put an 1.00 inch group at 100 yards.  Know I am trying for good patterns at 125 and 150 yards, and see what happens

Buckshooter
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 05:49:55 AM »
Below is a copy and paste post from shotgun world,  from James Gates of  Dixie slugs. I have corresponded many times with james on a couple of  slug project over the last year He is by far the most knowledgable person  I have ever talked to,when it comes to shotgun slugs. James will freely share anything he knows  weather you buy something from him or not  just consider what he writes when you are working or considering loads for slug guns  Or drop him a line if you need to know something
I  am not afiliated with dixie slugs.  I have  lanched thousands of dollars  in slugs down range I have shot 200 yard targets with slugs. I have hit groundhogs at 150 yards with a slugs   this all was done from a bench or rock solid rest . I have come to this conclusion :in real life hunting situations I can not be 95% sure of a  vital hit past 125 with a sabot and a super accurate slug gun.  90% of the deer I have killed have been inside 70 yards, So I sold my ultra tracker 12ga(12 pounds)  bought a tracker II in 20 ga.(5.5 pounds) and shoot  either hand loaded slugs or brenneke  slug and if I can't get a shot 75 yards or less I'll pass the shot
Roy

Slowly, very slowly, but surely there is some reality surfacing in shotgun bore firearms, ammo, recoil, and....accuracy! If one reads about long distance accracy with all types of ammo for shotgun bores...both smoothbore and rifled barrels...one must think they had managed to bybass certain factors of basic Physics!
A shooter just can not make some things happen! Or a maker of ammo, design something that goes aganist Physics!
When you hurl large heavy bullets, gravity comes into play! I am amazed at where some can think a certain weight/velocity fire from a rifled shotgun barrel defies gravity more (flatter trajectory) than the same shape (BC)m weight and velocity...fired in a centerfire rifle.
From the very beginning of Dixie, we stated that our ammo was designed to give massive Smashdown within reasonable ranges....say within a measured 100 yards! In the real world of hunting, 100 yards is a long distsnce! Yet, we still see shooters pushing that distance!
I have watched many forums over the past four years that were catering to shooters in Shotgun-Only-States. There have been many groups posted that would be hard to get with a good centerfire rife indeed. Dixie has not been able to duplicate those groups, with that ammo, under controlled situations! in fact, those groups are better (smaller) that the Brits were able to produced with very expensive guns.All of that posting is fine, but it has a bad influence on new shooters that take those small groups as a standard...only to find they can not duplicate them.
I stay off those forums for many reason, the foermost is the flaming we would get about our designs. Their customer base is not the customer base we service.
Now....as far as a know, not one of the factory sabot designs have been submitted to public testing as are all of our designs! None have been tested against our designs for penetration and against the famous Bone Box!
Dixie has strived to present facts, not speculation...and let the customer decide on the facts!
We plan to stay on our own turf indeed! But, rest assured, if the BS comes over here...I will trash it in a heart beat!
We are starting to see some real honest testing on this forum by people who know what they are doing...Dixie will continure to have bandwidth for them! I don't see any Hotshots, but rather people that are interested in factual results!
Our thanks again goes to those that have taken the time to post these informative posts! They are shooting guns that are available to the everyday shooter...at a resonable price.
Maybe many should read again what has been Dixie's basic aim since we started.
We design shotgun bore ammo, solids and Tri-Ball, for use against large and/or dangeous game wihin reasonable ranges.
That does not mean that our ammo is not excellent for thin-skin game...since it is!
Again...Dixie's sincere thanks goes out to our faithful customer base...without them, we would be dead indeed!
Enough said!....Regards, James
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier