Author Topic: 38 sp. FMJ FLAT NOSE  (Read 1760 times)

Offline JonnyC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
38 sp. FMJ FLAT NOSE
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:30:28 AM »
I just purchased some Winchester 38 SPECIAL FMJ. I discovered it has a flat nose. Can anyone tell me how they think this will work for self defense. ? Since it is FMJ and a Flat Nose- I wonder if it will work as good as a hard cast wadcutter or semi wadcutter offered by Buffalo Bore.?
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: 38 sp. FMJ FLAT NOSE
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »
Jonny - depending on the design of the 'flat nose' it should be sufficient for self defense - heck, even the old roundnose worked most of the time on the first shot.  The bullet is a fmj and should not deform, which will help.  If the flat nose is in the shape of a true semi-wadcutter all the better but 'flatter noses' than a round one are an improvement. 

I don't know how Buffalo Bore loads its wadcutters or swcs but I would assume a wadcutter load is meant for target or match shooting and would be loaded to target or match velocities and not be anything to get wildly excited about.  However I have always felt a man would have to be a fool to stand in front of a moving wadcutter slug but, you have lots of them out there.  If Buffalo Bore loads a 38 Spl semiwadcutter defensive load I'm willing to bet it is going to be about as good as you can get from a 38 swc load. 

If you reload I would suggest your trying either a Colorado Cast Bullet or a Mount Baldy cast bullet in 200 gn semi-wadcutter configuration over Winchester 231 powder to duplicate the old Winchester Police Load.  I use the same bullet in my 357 loads over a full charge of Winchester 296 for a hunting load.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:07:39 AM »
why do you think winchester intended this ammunition for self defense?
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:21:28 AM »
If you bullets look like these from Montana Gold Bullets

Then no, these are intended for target and plinking only as they will zip thru a body and or walls just like a round nose bullet will, and then you will have to worry about what is behind on the other side.

You would do better with JHP rounds by Winchester like these:

For many this is all they still carry in their J framed Smith and Wesson's.
Or even in the 158-gr SWCHP

JMHO

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:43:56 AM »
They are full metal jackets with a flat top. I can't shoot +P in my gun.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »
What .38 Spl do you have?

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »
Older Model 60 stainless.

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
Because your not going to get much feet per second in normal .38 Spl loadings, I would use a 158-gr SWC load because I want a heavy hitter and bone penitration.

Here is a good write up about ammo and the S&W mod 60

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs12.htm

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 03:00:10 AM »
You CAN shoot +P's in your model 60.  Those were tested with .357 mag pressures when they first came out.  It's not going to come apart on you, but a steady diet would loosen the gun up where it would likely need service sooner.  But you can do like I do.  I shoot +P's in my old (1960's) 37 lightweight.  I practice with regular loads, but I carry +P's and shoot the cylinder empty occasionally.  The gun is fine.  Enjoy.  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »
my gunsmith tells me he ll replace my smithee 60 if the plus p hurts it in anyway .. it don t seem to know its not suppose to use plus p.. shoots it fine..got a box of 158 swc +ps ordered for it now.. if he gets me the buffulo stuff ,he s been around a long time so ill go with what he says..

Offline revolvergeek

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »
I don't know how Buffalo Bore loads its wadcutters or swcs but I would assume a wadcutter load is meant for target or match shooting and would be loaded to target or match velocities and not be anything to get wildly excited about.  However I have always felt a man would have to be a fool to stand in front of a moving wadcutter slug but, you have lots of them out there.  If Buffalo Bore loads a 38 Spl semiwadcutter defensive load I'm willing to bet it is going to be about as good as you can get from a 38 swc load. 

The ballistics and penetration of the Buffalo Bore loads are pretty serious. www.brassfetcher.com did a test of them. Out of a S&W 642, the 150 HCWC averaged ~900fps with 23 inches of gelatin penetration. Our local Cabela's store has them and I plan on picking up a box to try out. Seems like it would make an excellent critter load and I am planning on putting a few boxes of it on my Christmas wish list.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Buffalo%20Bore%20Ammunition%20150gr%20standard%20pressure%20Hard%20Cast%20Wad%20Cutter.html

The Federal Match .38 wadcutter load was much more sedate at ~600fps, but still managed in inches of penetration. Not too shabby at all.
http://www.brassfetcher.com/38wadcutter.html

Personally, I normally keep my .38 snubs loaded with Gold Dot 135 GDHP +p, and carry a spare speed strip or two full of Speer Lawman 158 FPTMJ +p for reloads.