Author Topic: Do you folks think this is a good thing?  (Read 493 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Do you folks think this is a good thing?
« on: August 11, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26143098

Personally, this kinda' troubles me.  Being a HUNTER, I want science, not emotion, to dictate bag limits, seasons, etc.  This seems backwards to me...

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline zombiewolf

• Avid Poster
Re: Do you folks think this is a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »
Seems like a bad idea to me, and not just a bit underhanded...

Key phrase in the article; "...developers welcomed the plan..." ::)

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 06:42:35 AM »
This will prove to be a bad idea. Each administration will decide wether or not the environment or big business is more important. Hunting , fishing and other outdoor use activities don't make enough campaign contributions to hold much sway in Washington.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:19:25 AM »
I applaud this idea.  The environmental groups have for years used the endangered species act to stop road construction, construction of electrical generation dams, oil exploration, oil drilling, mining, logging, The list goes on.  Let the experts in the field make the decisions as to whether the project adversely affects the wildlife, and as to whether an endangered species is truly affected.  Look at the Polar Bears, there is more Polar Bears currently is existence than ever before since they started counting them.  Yet environmental groups are using the endangered Species act to stop oil drilling on the North Slope and off shore.  One of the largest predators on Dall Sheep is the Bald Eagle.  There is no shortage of Bald Eagles here, we have them everywhere.  I can show you seven nest within five miles of my house.  I can take you out and show you 15 to 20 any afternoon.  Yet since they are endangered in the lower 48 therefore on the Endangered Species List we are not allowed to control them. 

As a hunter I feel we need to let the people that are experts in the field make the decisions, not politicians who vote on emotions, or how they feel their constituents might feel on an issue they or their constitutes have no knowledge, just emotion about.  As a member of the Game Board advisory Commitee, I have seen first hand how stupid some of these laws are, and how they tie the hands of too many people trying to get things done for the betterment of the country or wildlife.

BTW:  Many people visiting Alaska ask why we have no roads going to anywhere in the state?  We would like to have roads to the towns and villages of Alaska, but due to laws    such as the Endangered Species act, we can not build any roads up here.  It might (and I stress the might) hurt some little bird that no one has ever heard of before. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:15:49 PM »
I didn't follow the link but in many states, especially western states, tourism, which includes hunting and fishing, is among the top three revenue producers in the state. 
Too often, the term "expert" has become meaningless. But I would much rather have state biologist determining the bag limits than some drooler of a politician pandering to the poachers in his district.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:30:46 PM »
I've got to agree with sourdough and beeman.  All of the alphabet agencies have assumed power not given them by the constitution but rather by act of law.

I'd say let the states decide how, and what gets managed, and by whom.

The EPA, and the department of education are 2 departments that needed a huge correction IMO.

It's a great decision IMO.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:33:45 PM »
Environmental groups have unlimited supplies of money.  They use these laws to stop any kind of progress, that they feel is not good.  They want everyone living in crowded communities eating vegan type diets.  At least that is what Prescilla Ferrell ( Head person in Defenders Of Wildelife) has said in her letter to the editor here in Fairbanks.  They use the Endangered Species Act to their advantage.  Now since they are not getting their way and it is not effective enough for them they are going to Ballot Innatives.  anything to get their way.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »
"I applaud this idea."

Me too!
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:44 AM »
  As Victor Charlie said; it is so often these "alphabet agencies" overstep their authority and try to "legislate from the happy hour"..
  that it is time they were reigned in, since they won't do it themselves.. Too many snail darters and blue speckled manure flies holding up important progress.
    This is exactly why the drilling on the 68 million acres that Democrats moan about, are being held up..and the Democrats pretend they don't know it !  :P
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)