Author Topic: trigger job  (Read 2518 times)

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
trigger job
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:55:46 AM »
can the trigger's on these NEF"S be tuned by a good smith? or can they be done by the average guy?

Offline Tencubed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: trigger job
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:06:54 PM »
Go to the NEF/HR Centerfire Rifles area and look in the FAQ.  There's lots of info that spills over to the rimfires and amongst this is a bunch of info on trigger work.

Apparently, from what has been said in that forum, now that Remington has taken over they will no longer be doing trigger jobs on the NEF rifles.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »
bump

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »
Go to the NEF/HR Centerfire Rifles area and look in the FAQ.  There's lots of info that spills over to the rimfires and amongst this is a bunch of info on trigger work.

Mike

What Mike said! ;) If a trigger job can be done by anyone that's a little handy, a competent smith can do them, I've done a couple dozen myself, they ain't hard to do.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:53:46 AM »
Apparently, from what has been said in that forum, now that Remington has taken over they will no longer be doing trigger jobs on the NEF rifles.

Mike

That's not true, Swampman just got his back with an excellent trigger that he asked for while having a barrel fitted, so there's another option for the OP if he doesn't feel up to doing his own.  :)

Tim

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »
What I posted was true at the time Tim, recent information has changed the situation.  Hopefully Remington is starting to get it's act together.  Wish I had bookmarked the post I was referring to as I don't like being called a lier.

Mike

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 02:22:02 PM »
You or whomever posted that was told wrong, I didn't call you a liar, just that what you/they were told wasn't true. I think the CS person that made that statement did so in error due to ignorance or was referring to Remington firearms, H&R has always done trigger jobs and that hasn't changed since the move as witnessed by Swampman, he asked for it and they did it, as always.  ;)

Tim

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 02:48:08 PM »
Tim:

The post I was referring to did indeed list Remington as the party that would not be doing trigger jobs as I mentioned in my first post.  I'll try to find the original post and you can then tell that poster they are CS.

Mike

Offline Fat NDN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 03:49:21 PM »
I had a local gunsmith do my 3 H&R's.  He changed my 5 - 6 lb pull to just under 2 lbs. for $35.00 each.
So it must not be too hard.

One Shot - One Kill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »
Tim:

The post I was referring to did indeed list Remington as the party that would not be doing trigger jobs as I mentioned in my first post.  I'll try to find the original post and you can then tell that poster they are CS.

Mike

Just so we're on the same page, CS = Customer Service.  ;D

Tim

Offline danza

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »
geeeeeeeeeee...i had NEF do trigger job when i had a new barrel fitted...works good too...i don't know what it actually weighs in but they advertised they'd do no more than a two pound reduction (if i remember correctly)

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »
geeeeeeeeeee...i had NEF do trigger job when i had a new barrel fitted...works good too...i don't know what it actually weighs in but they advertised they'd do no more than a two pound reduction (if i remember correctly)

Which could be plenty depending where you start.  My only NEF is not a centerfire, and needed a fair amount of reduction.  With a little work it is now two pounds and creep free.  It is on a stainless synthetic .223 that stays in the truck and keeps down the varmints on my son's farm.  It is a good shooter.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline danza

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

Which could be plenty depending where you start.  My only NEF is not a centerfire, and needed a fair amount of reduction.  With a little work it is now two pounds and creep free.  It is on a stainless synthetic .223 that stays in the truck and keeps down the varmints on my son's farm.  It is a good shooter.

i'm a little confused..."my only NEF is not a centerfire..."..."it is on a stainless synthetic .223..."

is there a difference in triggers?

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 03:12:46 PM »
My error: it is a centerfire.  I was saying it was not a rimfire like is represented on this forum.  And since I have only seen the one I can't tell if there are different triggers, or if they come from the factory different.  On my gun I wouldn't have been satisfied with a two pound reduction, but to each their own.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 04:59:29 PM »
Internal parts are all the same on centerfire/shotgun/rimfire as far as the trigger works, there's no difference in the trigger hone procedure for any of them either.  ;)

Tim

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »
We pulled apart an old 1972 handi rifle in .30/.30 which had a sharp and very tough trigger that would actually hurt your finger without gloves.  My son used his dremmel to round the sharp edges and we were very careful not to not file too much off the trigger.  We were lucky and it is almost perfect now.  It was a pain to get back together but works really well. The pins drive out only one way which I didn't know at the time.  A person should have a small punch set to drive them out.  I resorted to a drill bit which finally worked once it quit breaking. I ordered a new .17 sportster and if it is anything like that other trigger with the right punches I would do it again. ;)

Offline danza

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 06:43:24 AM »
i just came back from the range in yuma with my NEF .22 WMR and the 'trigger job' we're discussing.

i find that the 'adjustment' made by the factory the last time i sent it back is very, very, satisfactory. in fact, it feels as though it was "custom" ( i guess it was, for that matter)

i'm thoroughly pleased with the service and results of the NEF factory. i must also say that i suppose that i'm "lucky" in that over the years, the NEF's i've had all were satisfactory

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »
I had the trigger done by a well known gunsmith in my area. The first time at the Range I squeezed the trigger instead of having a firm pull that was needed prior to the trigger work. Instead of a BOOM I got a CLICK. I tried the same load again, still CLICK.
I opened the rifle and found a very slight mark on the primer.
Next I reloaded with another cartridge and this time instead of a gentle squeeze I pulled back on the trigger with the usual force.  BOOM !!

Now I got a rifle with a trigger that releases the hammer with a squeeze  but the hammer isn't all the way  back in time to raise that !@#$$ tranfer bar.

The rifle is back to the gunsmith with the request to make a half cock type hammer and get rid of that transfer bar or just plain get rid of the transfer bar and grind to top of the hammer back enough for the rifle to fire.

Did this guy do something wrong??
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline garfish

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 09:02:57 AM »
Here is something I never heard before.  I called a local gun shop with a good reputation and asked about a trigger job on a H&R Sportster .22lr and they said the trigger metal was investment cast, which they said was only hardened at the very surface and if it is honed down and the honeing breaks thru the surface harding, then it could after lots of rounds proceed to wear to the point of being a hair trigger.  He said not to do a trigger job and instead because investment casting leaves a rough exterior, to shoot it a bunch and it will smooth out.  Never heard that before.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »
That's not necessarily true, there are members here with 6oz triggers that shoot a lot and don't have problem. I dunno what the triggers and hammers are made of, but there have been speculations made by some members with metallurgy backgrounds that they're made of sintered steel. In any event, they aren't made of the same material they once were, if you read "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" by Mic McPherson, you'll see that he advocates using about 20lbs forward pressure on a cocked hammer and pulling the trigger to expedite wear and smooth the mating surfaces to lighten the trigger. There have been several members try that and broke the sear notch off of the hammer. I email Mic about this and he stated his work was on older H&Rs. So whatever they're made of, honing the trigger can result it too light of trigger and Perklo warns of that in his instructions, I've done 25-30 H&R triggers, only one has work lightened from ~2½lbs to 21oz, so going too light can have it's caveats.

Tim