Author Topic: Which Binocular  (Read 1086 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Binocular
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:55 AM »
I am looking for a 10X binocular. I do not really want to go over $400. Size is really not an issue as most use will be from a vehicle or from my house. I am mostly concerned with clarity and good dawn/dusk use. Also what are opinions of variable power binoculars? It may also need to double as a 100 yd. spotting scope for .22 & .24 calibers. Any suggestions and experiences would be welcome.
GuzziJohn

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Which Binocular
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
I use and trust the Bushnell Legend binoculars over most others. I've now bought and sold two of the high end European binoculars and kept the Legend as for me it is a superior choice. Mine is the 8x42 but they also have a 10X in the Legend line. I'm toying with getting one of those for the next PD shoot next year. For my big game hunting I prefer a 7X or 8X as it's hard for me to hold a 10X steady enough in most hunting situations but from the shooting bench I use for prairie dog shooting it shouldn't be a problem.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:56:26 AM »
Take a look at the Wind Rivers too. I`m like GB, I like the 8 x 40`s, especially if I`m going to be doing alot of walking.

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »
I have to go along with graybeard on this one.  I own some bushnell legends (10x42) that are just outstanding glass.   I looked through binos costing much more, but I the legends more than hold their own. 

Most places want around $325.00 or so for the 10x42's but Midwayusa.com has them for $230.00 or so if you are interested.

Jim

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:25:58 AM »
Thanks for the responses. The legend sure looks worth checking out. Catfish, I have not heard of Wind River before. Can you find them in stores and if so which ones.
GuzziJohn

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »
I have to recommend the Legend as well.  I have a pair of the 8x32's and I couldn't imagine how much more I'd have to spend to beat them.  I think that the 10x would be perfect for you, and you can get them in a roof prism or in a porro prism.  The porro is considerably cheaper than the roof prism, and the optical quality it superb.  Which one you get depends on what style you like.  If you're not having to carry them around much, porro's offer a better image quality than roof prisms do,  with a better definition of depth in the image.

Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's carry most of the big brands like Bushnell, Leupold, Burris, Nikon, etc.

I can also recommend the Burris 10x Signature series as well.  The only reason I got rid of them was for the Legend, it's a bit more compact, and the Rainguard coating.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:33:08 PM »
Nikon Prostaffs are also pretty nice.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »
Since size and weight are not imortant the poro prism type binoculars give more for the $$$. Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II Binoculars ($179 at Bear Basin). They are poro prism type so they cost less than the roof type becaue they are less expensive to make. Roof type binoculars need to be phase corrected to be as bright and clear as the poro type and it costs more to make them as bright and clear as the poros.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:26:16 PM »
Another vote for the Legends, I have the 8x26 and they are small and easy to carry. But if you can, check out the Pentax line. They also make some great glass. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 10:34:52 AM »
I've got a set of the Leupold Wind River Cascades and I'm very happy with them. They have a long eye relief and I can use them all day wearing my glasses. I have them in 10X42 and are quite compact.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
I have three pair of binocs, and its hard for me to tell the difference in clearity.  They are Swarovski, Minox, and Pentax.  For the money a set of poro Pentax will give you great service, and for what you have described, weight and size are of no concern.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 12:05:46 PM »
I picked up a Bushnell Excursion 10x42 in Cabella's bargin cave for $130, $150 with tax.
They sure are nice. Fully multicoated, water and fog proof.  I compared several binocs side by side and wasn't much difference between these and the more expensive ones.

Just wish they would have had the 32's so it would have been a little smaller.
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 02:54:53 PM »
Any one of the Nikon's from the Action 10x50 which is a great deal to the Nikon 10x56 Monarch's. You can pick them up for around $300 on eBay or Optics Planet...The Monarch's are a bit pricier but when you look through them side by side with Bushnell, Burris or others ...you will see that they are noticably brighter and sharper...brighter is the most important part of the equation.
s
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 05:23:15 AM »
Nah, I can't agree with that all.  I had a pair of 10x Monarchs and the brightness of there, but the resolution and clarity wasn't the best.  There's no point in having a really bright image if you can't make out any definition to it.

Before I bought the Burris Signatures (what I had before the Legends) I spent about 4 hours looking through all of the high end glass that Bass Pro Shops had. Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss, Swarovski, Steiner...  I had a $1000 limit.  Afer checking everything out, I decided that I just wouldn't use them enough to spend a grand on binocs.  I really liked the Zeiss Conquests and the Burris Signatures, but for the deal I got on the Burris on-line they were my pick.  I only sold them when the 8x32 Legends came out.  The Legend is still my first pick for a binoc under $400, bar none. 

I NEVER buy optics in a store, I go there to check them out and then I get on-line and save a ton of money.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 05:57:03 AM »
Really do appreciate the input on possible choices. I am leaning toward the Bushnell Legends from what I am hearing. I checked several local stores and no one is stocking them. I would like to see them in person before buying. Next time I get to Wichita I should be able to find them in a store. The Nikon series was mentioned including the Action series. I currently have a Nikon Action 10x50 and I am rather disappointed in the clarity, especially around the edges. The first set I bought I returned because edge clarity was terrible.

I know it has been commented that even some low end and most medium optics are better than the best from years back but for example my Nikon Pro-Staff does not hold a candle to my many decades old Unertil for clarity.
GuzziJohn

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »
If you are looking for good dawn/dusk performance a 10x42mm may be a problem.  I would look at a 10x50mm if you need a 10x and you want good low light performance.

The Nikon Action Extremes are much better than the Nikon Actions.

In Wichita, try the Sportsman's Warehouse on Kellogg Dr.  I would also suggest looking at Pentax DCF WP IIs, Celestron Noble, Eagle Optics Ranger SRT, Audubon Equinox HP, Leupold Olympic 10x50, Swift Ultra and Vortex Fury.

If you get to Kansas City you can look at Audubon, Eagle Optics and Vortex binoculars at the Wild Birds Unlimited there.  There are good models from all three in your price range.  There is also a Cabelas in Kansas City, so you could compare many models there as well.

I would look through a variety of glass and let your own eyes discern which is best.  If possible, after properly focusing, stack two pair and look quickly between the two at distant, hard to resolve objects under different light conditions.  The better of the two will quickly become apparent.

Online, Eagle Optics and CameralandNY will let you try optics for 30 days and will refund the full purchase price if you don't want them and return them in as new condition with all original packaging.

The absolute best binoculars under $400 are likely the Swift Audubon 820 8.5x44mm porro prisms.  They have a view as good as the Swarovski ELs for $1000+ less.  The only knock I have on them is if you are an eyeglasses wearer they may not have enough eye relief for you.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.