Author Topic: Burn rates...  (Read 365 times)

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Burn rates...
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
What is the burn rates of your powders tht you use?

The reason that I ask is because I am shooting Goex 3F @ 50 grains of powder and shooting it out of a T/C Encore 209X50 15" PISTOL barrel and was wondering at what length of barrel the powder actually burns. I know I can shoot more grains of powder but wonder if it burnt before leaving the barrel.

HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline dmurphy317

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Burn rates...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:17:45 AM »
I'm not sure about burn rates for different powders but one way of determining it for yourself is to use the unburnt powder method. Spread out a white sheet on the ground in front of you and shoot progressively higher charges until you see unburn powder on the sheet. Once you reach that level you will know the max amount of powder the barrel will burn with that bullet. Bullet size will cause slight differences in the amount of powder a given barrel will burn but probably not enough to worry about. Of course you still need to observe the manufacturer max load limit if you reach it.
David

It's better to shoot for the sky and come a bit short than to shoot for the ground and hit every time. After all, the ground is just a place to start, the sky's the limit.

Offline sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Burn rates...
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:41:43 AM »
Two Bears

I am not really sure of burn rates... but I think you might find that T7-3f might be the fastest burning powder... reaches peak pressure faster... although now that I think about it maybe real BP 4f might be faster.

Just guessing....
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - they are a blast....