Author Topic: My deer gun  (Read 1398 times)

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
My deer gun
« on: August 19, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
Got such a great buy on this old gun, was no way I passing it up. Bought that old H&R 349 bolt gun, and Man I'm so glad I did! The only thing I want to change is the old dried out recoil pad. That choke opens from full to cylinder bore! Ya just can't do much better! Stock fits me like it was made just for me, one of the best fittin gun stocks I've had on a gun in a long while. I am really glad I was at that gun shop at the right time for this Old Dandy! Have a good evening Fella's    scout4<><

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: My deer gun
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »
sounds gret. Post a pic if you get a chance.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »
sounds gret. Post a pic if you get a chance.
+1
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:56:40 AM »
Hey Fella's I would really like to post some pictures and I've been trying to do that over the last few weeks, but seems for whatever reason this additional options will not allow my pictures to be posted any longer. That was workin for me this past winter, so can't say what happened, same camera, same way of sending the pictures. I'll give it another try. scout4<><

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:26:26 PM »
Scout...E-mail me the pics and I will go in and post them for you...

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »
Okay Whitetailer, give your address and I'll be glad to send the pictures! Thanks! scout4<><

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »
Here are three pics that Scout sent me to post...

Offline gp911

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 03:28:09 PM »
That is one serious looking gun... Looks heavy with all that wood!

My 1st gun was a Sears bolt action .410. Wouldn't mind finding another one...

gp911

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:05:46 AM »
Thank You very much Whitetailer for posting these pictures! I appreciate that. gp911 actually the guns weight is good and pulls up to my shoulder very well. And I've got a say, with the recoil from standard Remington sluggers I'm glad for the weight! Bought some Remington low recoil 12's goin to give em a try soon as I get the new recoil pad installed. Right now gun's apart cleaning up, and workin down the Pachmayr pad to fit. Easy to take down, these old bolt guns are cool! ;D Have a good day  scout4<><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 04:25:53 AM »
Oh NO!!! Now you have done it. I had a nice 16 gauge bolt shotgun I bought myself (used) when I was about 15 and still remember it fondly. Now I will be looking for an H&R 349!!! (12, 16, or 20, whatever I find) ....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:12:03 AM »
Hey MSP Ret! How you been Buddy! Have'nt heard from ya in awhile. You like my golden oldie? It sure shoots good! I sure am lookin forward to gettin out with this old H&R! Have a good day! scout4<><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:27:28 AM »
Hi Scout, yes, your "Golden Oldie" is GREAT!!! It is wonderful when someone can see the beauty in an old gun or accessory. You seem to have that eye, congratulations!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:36:32 AM »
Now I am going to have to start looking on the auction sites and gun shows...That seems like a shotgun that should be in my safe...

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »
Seeing the photo made me go look in the gun safe.  I knew I had a 16ga bolt action but I forgot who made it.  It is a H&R model 120, 16ga.  About 30+ years ago my father in law let me borrow it so I could go rabbit hunting.  Some old farmer had given it to him in payment for some work he had done.  The stock was cracked right behind the bolt.  The tube magazine bracket had been welded by the farmer back to the barrel.  It was a really rough looking gun.  I checked the bore and as near as I could tell it was straight and no distortions where the weld was located. 

I took the gun and some low brass shells out in the country with a friend.  We tied the gun to the proverbial fence post and put a long string on the trigger.  We stood on the other side of the truck and fired the gun.  No problem.  So we tried another shell while it was still tied to the fence post.  As I closed the bolt the gun went off.  Good thing we were always keeping it pointed in a safe direction.  No more shooting for the day.  After getting it home and looking at it, the cracked stock had let the action slide back enough that the trigger had pressure on it in the "pulled" position.  If I pulled the barrel/action forward, I could cycle the bolt and never have it fire.  But if I pushed the barrel/action toward the butt end of the gun, it would fire when I closed the bolt.  I tried a hose clamp around the stock, which I thought was fiiting for the current appearance of the gun.  But it still didn't seem to work consistently.  So I found a place I could order a replacement stock.  When it came I sanded and oiled it.  I was surprised how nice it looked.  The gun worked great.  I used it that season and then for Father's Day I returned it to my father in law with the new stock.  He was surprised. 

About 10 to 15 years later he gave it to one of my sons.  We took a file to the weld and cleaned it up with some cold blueing.  My son has used the gun some, but it is mostly remembered now as his grandpa's gun.  My father in law passed away about 8 years ago.  Thanks for the picture and posting.  It has brought back some good memories.

"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »
Thanks d_hiker for the reply! Thanks to all you Fellow's for your reply's! This is a great old gun! Just finished getting the new recoil pad installed, and soon as I can I'm gettin to the range to shoot this old feller once again. Bought the lower recoil Remington sluggers, so with turning that choke to cylinder bore I'm goin to find out what it'll do. Also got a great buy on a box of estate game and target #6's, so I intend to warm that adjustable choke up a bit. Okay Fella's thanks again! You all have a good evening! scout4<><