Author Topic: Custom single shot  (Read 754 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Custom single shot
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:59:30 AM »
I am considering a class 3 firearm but want to know if what I am looking for is actually feasible. I am interested in a single shot rifle in .44 mag for hunting. I thought a NEF or TC with about a 12" - 14" barrel and suppressor bringing barrel length to a total of 20". I would load my own probably to the tune of 255 grain - 300 grain hard cast bullets to velocity of about 1050.

If so, who would I have custom such a rifle?

Thank you!! 
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Custom single shot
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »
Anyone with a lathe can cut the barrel and thread it for a supressor, If you are going to spend that much money I would consider a Contender for a little higher quality, and custom Contender barrel makers are all over the place.  The Handi would work also.  I don't know of any State that allows hunting with a supressor.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »
Don't forget that unless whatever you add to the barrel to get it to 16+ inches has to be permanent or it will be considered a short barreled rifle.  If it can be screwed off it doesn't count.  This is assuming you are making this for use in the US.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 02:07:02 AM »
Thanks for the input. Firstly, I guess I should check laws regarding hunting with a suppressor as this is the mail reason for getting it.

Thanks!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline iiranger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
HUH? Re: Custom single shot
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 07:06:38 AM »
The list of single shot rifles is LONG. Marble (as is Ax and sights) used to make a "game getter" that was a rimfire barrel over a centerfire barrel/ .22 over .44/40 I think my uncle's was he said... Great for collecting specimens. You could shoot .410 shotshells in the .44 barrel. It was outlawed when rifle barrels had to be 18 inches (really fights crime), later changed to 16 inches. Still 18 for shotguns. Minimum.

eabco.com has a custom rifle you could set up this way.

Fed law, rifle barrel has to be 16 inches long generally. I think the pistol gripped shotguns were a "destructive device" at one time and needed a $5.00 tax stamp. And there are some recoil reducers that would get you to 20 inches if you must.

b) In US, 2nd Amendment, guarantees gun ownership, so they suppress suppressors. There are lists of class 3 dealers and Shotgun news often has advertisements. Some magazines. Look for dealers in "full auto." As you indicate, this is a tightly federally regulated firearm. My favorite FFL told me that silver solder was a permanent attachment for the law. Lead solder was NOT. Ironically, outside US where guns are much regulated about anyone can buy a silencer/suppressor. Now getting something to put it on???  So if you are near a border...

State laws govern hunting mostly. There are federal migratory animal laws. Yes, check locally for option to hunt.

From there, about any single shot would do. T/C has the "big dog" in this field right now. Many custom barrel makers speak of restricted barrels for law enforcement. Usually mean silenced or suppressed. Just have to shop. From there it is about any single shot. Winchester 1885 or Browning copies. Hiwall or low wall. Ballard did a gun now copied. The ungainly sharps. Numerous other falling block copies. Seldom cheap. MOA had a pistol. No idea if they ever got the buttstock offered. In the back of Gun Digests there are lists of currently produced firearms. I would start there and go with what looks go and I can afford (ha, ha). luck

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 02:07:02 PM »
While it's both financially (if you have deep enough pockets) and legally ((upon payment of Fed Tax?Lisc) "possible" - I'm not aware of any state that allows hunting with silenced/suppressed arms.

Shooting, as at a range - yes; hunting - no.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »
Many of you made good points. I did check my State game laws and it is NOT legal to hunt with a suppressed firearm. Thanks for all the input. I probably won't spend the money on a "range only" gun. I'd rather customize a hunting rifle I already have to make it better or buy a new toy to hunt with.

Thanks again!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist