Author Topic: Can I shoot without a gascheck?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trade Count: (0)
Can I shoot without a gascheck?
« on: December 15, 2002, 08:05:25 AM »
Hi guy's,
I can buy a used  RCBS .357 mould (158 gr. SWC) that throws bullets which can be gas-checked.
My question is: "Do I HAVE to use gas-checks or can I use the bullet without a gas-check as well"?
A box containing 1000 gas-checks will cost me over 40 dollar in the Netherlands. This means that this tiny little thing turns out to be the most expensive component of my home made bullets.

Thank you  a lot! (that counts for all your answers on my earlier questions as well.)

Bram

Offline Aladin

Re: Can I shoot without a gascheck?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 10:01:22 AM »
Bram you sure can load them w/o checks-- just work the load up monitoring leading and be careful not to contaminate the powder with lube.

You could load a filler for seal IF you again worked the chg up and wanted to see how far the velocity could be extended.

Your solution IMO is making your molds a plain base design-- course that hinges on lathe access or the cost factor. I made some PB molds in 30 cal on a drill press using care for in the setup and a .312 bit. Might have possibilites in 357 too.
Aladin

"that's my story and I'm stick'n to it"

Offline hammerhead357

Can I shoot without a gascheck?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2002, 07:11:22 PM »
Bram I would try to have someone with a surface grinder take of the gas check portion of the mould if  the gc's  were a problem and for all I know that might cost more than a new mould.  On the other hand maybe Aladin and I should be sending you gas checks :)!!!!!! Yes he is correct you can shoot the bullets with out the gc's.       Wes