Author Topic: Lyman size & lube die ----.403----  (Read 615 times)

Offline neald

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
Lyman size & lube die ----.403----
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »
Gents.
 I have a Herters 401 Powermag. For those of you who are not old enoug to remember these were sold by Herter back in the 60's for 50-60 bucks. It was or actually is the for runner of the 41Mag.
I slugged the bore and it is .403. My molds drop .4035. Which woul be OK but I need to lube them and prefer not to do it with my fingers.
 I have looked for a 403 die but can not find one. Does any body know of a supplier of on in this size?
Thanks for the help

Neal

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Re: Lyman size & lube die ----.403----
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »
Aren't you the lucky one! I have an old advertisement with that 401 Powermag in it and drooled over them when I was a kid. Saw one in a pawn shop when I was 17. Too young to buy one, and would have been in big trouble if my parents had caught me 'in a pawn shop for any reason'. BUT, the shopkeeper let me hold me....ah, the memories.

You state you have a .405 bore and your mold drops .4035 so I don't believe you would be wanting a .403 sizer - rather I believe you would be wanting a .406 sizer and 'bump' the bullet a bit as you lube it. However, you don't state chamber exit dia, so this may be just rhetoric, as your chambers pretty much are the limiting factor first, followed by the barrel. You don't state what your alloy is - WW drops a larger bullet than Linotype, by several thousandths,  out of the same mold and, if water-dropped, are plenty hard enough for magnum revolver applications.
Alternately, have Veral cut you a proper mold.

My local distributor is Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, Idaho. Their catalogue on pg32 lists 401, 403 and 406 dies from Lyman, and states that custom sizes are available for twice as much. www.buffaloarms.com

I'm thinking I may have a .406 sizer in my stash. Memory is telling my I got one for my 40-82Winchester Model 1886. However, I don't use it as my .410-sized bullets for my 41Mag work just wonderfully in it. It slugs a touch over .408 - a tad on the large size. Then, you would have to sell me your revolver, which doesn't just solve your problem, it eliminates it! LOL! ...BUT, does give me a problem as I am on a moratorium of new purchases. [Of course, this would be a used purchase, and I'm not sure if that would remove it from the restrictions set by the moratorium.] Seriously, if you find this might help you, let me know and maybe we could come to terms on the .406 sizer - I will take a look for it, just in case.

Regards,
Sweetwater

Regards,
Sweetwater

Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline neald

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:55:39 AM »
Sweetwater, I goffed, too many thumbs when typing bore is 403.I fixed post

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 06:29:30 AM »

tunell@verizon.net

Contact Rick Tunell at the above email addy and he will make whatever H&I set you desire.  Excellent work and prices.  Rick's a regular at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php with an excellent reputation.

Offline 454PB

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:21:49 PM »
I've used a lot of linotype and wheel weights. Linotype always casts larger bullets than wheel weights in the same mould.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 05:35:40 PM »
Guess I'll stand corrected there on which metal cast larger from the same mold. Should have reviewed my notes instead of working from memory. Thanks for the reminder.

Regards,
Sweetwater

Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater