Author Topic: interesting 12 gauge load  (Read 408 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
interesting 12 gauge load
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:53:46 AM »
hi -

this morning while shooting sporting clays a fellow shooter told me about his new 3/4 oz #9 12 gauge loads and let me try a few of them on clay targets. they were very effective to say the least and had sensible recoil on par with my 410.

he mentioned he found the load in a sporting clays magazine and it was developed by a mechanical engineer trying reduce the cost of reloading, yet maintain effectiveness. the loads chrono at 1440 fps with a very small spread in velocity making the #9 shot very effective out to about 40 yards.

the load uses 3/4 oz of #9, a 7/8 oz shot wad and an .080" card to fill the shot pocket, and i believe 18 grains of clays.

at 35 bucks a bag for shot this looks like a very economical load.

we also tried it in a gas operated gun and the action cycled with no problem at all.

i will try get the link to article or magazine for this laod and post it.

has anyone else heard of this?

"SG"

there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: interesting 12 gauge load
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:36:03 AM »
I've heard of several sub-1-ounce loads for the 12, but this is the lightest one yet. What wad was used in this recipe? I keep the standard 12-gauge 1-ounce wads on hand, but have standardized on American Select as a propellant for all light 12 loads. American Select falls between Clays and International in burn speed. I'd be interested in trying a 3/4-ounce load for squirrels with 7.5 or 6 shot.

BTW, shot goes for upwards of $50 per bag around here (western Wisconsin). You'd think with all the trapshooters in these parts, competition would have held it to $35, but no such luck. The least I've paid for shot this year has been $40. My club is having the trap outfield mined next spring to reclaim 50 years' worth of lead. Some of that shot is so old that it has oxidized more than 50%, but if the price holds, they'll make a big chunk of change out of it.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams