Author Topic: Howitzer care and feeding  (Read 1135 times)

Offline HuecoDoc

• Trade Count: (0)
Howitzer care and feeding
« on: August 24, 2008, 09:35:04 AM »
I've taken my howitzer out 5 times in the last 7 weeks.  She has bounced along on a trailer behind my Jeep about 1500 miles, much of that in the rain.  For two outings I have heeded Dan's advice and allowed a patina to begin developing.  Other than the bore, I have just cleaned with automotive soaps.

I'm afraid I don't have re-enacting in my blood.  I use a big plastic bucket filled with water and two mops from Wal-Mart as battlefield implements.  The two are ideal sizes for the powder chamber and bore.

On the way to central Texas the cannon was clean and polished, and people would ask if it was real.  On the way back, with a scorched vent and muzzle face, nobody asked that question.

She likes eating "Bocce" balls which come in several sizes and are hard like billiard or bowling balls.  Bocce sets that were originally more than $100 per set of eight were on clearance here, so I bought a total of 48 Bocce balls. They make excellent cannonballs, and are re-usable if you can find them.  I've lost 9 of them.  My uncle will probably find them while herding cattle.

I stopped by the Fort Davis National Historic Site and met their artillery ranger last weekend.  I'm driving back for their Labor Day artillery demonstration next weekend.  They still have an original mountain howitzer that they do not fire.  I am hoping that the dry conditions have preserved an original carriage, but I won't know until I'm there.  It is kept indoors.  If it is original, I'll take many pics of the carriage.

Offline HuecoDoc

Re: Howitzer care and feeding
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »
I drilled a shallow hole in each ball to simulate the sound of an original shell's Boarmann fuse hole.  I filmed by setting my camera up about 200 yards downrange and zooming in on the howitzer.  The sound is great.

I'm amazed i finally figured out how to embed the YouTube frame!

[yt=425,350]tIEeARs5L1A[/yt]

[yt=425,350]0T1PXEJC1qw[/yt]

[yt=425,350]vtEYJ1w0qS0[/yt]

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
Lastly, a few still shots.  These were cannon-grade Goex particles departing the muzzle.  Charges were 4 to 4.5oz.  The Bocce balls are slightly undersized, leaving about 8mm windage on a 115mm bore.

In the first pic, the red Bocce ball is about 100 yards out at the right-hand edge, but not easily visible at this resolution.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:21:26 AM »
you could compare cannons both with women and fine wine .
let it grow old with dignity
the older , the darker .

when people see sign of use they dont ask stupid questions  

hope you will post an picture of the face of the bore also   ;D

oooooohhh amazing videos
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:53:08 AM »
hope you will post an picture of the face of the bore also   ;D

I didn't want to because of the rust on the end of the steel sleeve.  I recently ordered bronze wool and can take care of that.  In fact, that should go on my list of battlefield necessities:

bronze wool
zip ties
duct tape
2 mops
jumper cables
mini-DV video cassette

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
just spray it with some acid free penetrating rust oil when you are finished with the shooting to protect the steel until you can clean and grease it properly .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 11:27:54 AM »
just spray it with some acid free penetrating rust oil when you are finished with the shooting to protect the steel until you can clean and grease it properly .

A rainstorm ended our shooting a week ago.  I was camping.  I swabbed it and sprayed an entire can of WD40 into and onto it, tilted the muzzle down and plugged the vent.  It was rusty the next morning.  Back home, i cleaned the bore well, swabbed it dry, sprayed it down with Break-Free (a gun oil) and covered it with a tarp.  A few days later - more rust!  Now it's back indoors.  Does anyone have a suggestion for grease?

My plan now is to hit it with an automotive cylinder hone after cleaning.  That should clean, polish and oil it.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »
the wd 40 or what you use is only an short time first aid after shooting ,
it just delay the residue absorption of moisture from the air .
clean as fast as possible and soak it with ball bearing grease when its dry
the more water you can use the better is it
the hotter it is the better , that will heat the metal up and it will dry faster
grease it as soon as it dried
as an example I can tell that I used to boil my 44 cal remington 58 after shooting it , boil a few min on the stove with a little dishwasher liquid in the water , but after that I needed to use an stainless steel vire to pick up the parts .
because if I took up the parts and touch them with my fingers before spraying them with gun oil you could see my fingerprints as rust stains on the parts just after 10 min . mild steel are extremely quick to start rust when its totaly oil or grease free .
and I can guarantee you that after 5 min in boiling water with dish washer liquid its totaly clean

I would guess that an cannon barrel is very oil or grease free after a few rounds , because of heat and pressure .
I would believe thats one of the reasons why they did use bronze in cannon barrels if they could afford it in the old days .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »
Doc,

Watched the video's and I won't be fooled!!!  That is is no Boarmann fuse whislting down range range....That is a car alarm!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 02:07:04 AM »
Ballistol is an excellent Black Powder solvent. It is water soluable (so it won't cover the residual water and trap it in), and it is slightly alkaline to neutralize the acidic BP residue.  It was designed to be an all purpose military cleaner/solvent/lube in the late last century when BP ruled. It works great on leather and wood as well.  If you read about it on their web site, you might think it is some sort of magical "snake oil" but it pretty much really does everything they claim it does. The cheapest way to buy it is by the gallon, right thru the Ballistol web site.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:28:12 AM »
Rick,
That's interesting to know.  I use "Krud Kutter".  It too reads like an esoteric "snake oil".  I was told in my post, that all we need is "liquid dish soap". I am going to look into it and compare.  Maybe give it a try.  Always room for improvement.

Here's a thought:  We used to clean our car batteries with Coke.  How would that work on BP?  That's when I started to drink Pepsie. ;D

Richard

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 03:44:48 AM »
Ditto to Ballistol and liquid dish soap, I use both on all my brass, bronze and steel barrels leaves them spotless.

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 04:59:19 AM »
Doc,

Watched the video's and I won't be fooled!!!  That is is no Boarmann fuse whislting down range range....That is a car alarm!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
That alarm is a genuine original though, not a reproduction.  On the battlefield it serves to let everyone know that there is active artillery nearby :).

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 06:18:09 AM »
Doc,

That alarm is a genuine original though, not a reproduction.  On the battlefield it serves to let everyone know that there is active artillery nearby :).

LOL

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:49:37 AM »
the wd 40 or what you use is only an short time first aid after shooting ,
it just delay the residue absorption of moisture from the air .
clean as fast as possible and soak it with ball bearing grease when its dry
the more water you can use the better is it
the hotter it is the better , that will heat the metal up and it will dry faster
grease it as soon as it dried
as an example I can tell that I used to boil my 44 cal remington 58 after shooting it , boil a few min on the stove with a little dishwasher liquid in the water , but after that I needed to use an stainless steel vire to pick up the parts .
because if I took up the parts and touch them with my fingers before spraying them with gun oil you could see my fingerprints as rust stains on the parts just after 10 min . mild steel are extremely quick to start rust when its totaly oil or grease free .
and I can guarantee you that after 5 min in boiling water with dish washer liquid its totaly clean

I would guess that an cannon barrel is very oil or grease free after a few rounds , because of heat and pressure .
I would believe thats one of the reasons why they did use bronze in cannon barrels if they could afford it in the old days .

I have a friend who sticks his small arms parts in the dish washer to clean them ....... and yes he is NOT married........

Back in my re-enacting days when I got home I would pull the barrel from my french musket and take it in the shower with me,
after a couple days in the field we both need a good cleaning........ and yeah at the time I wasn't married either......
sorry no photos  ;D

I doubt any wife would put up with these cleaning methods.  ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 08:36:01 AM »
So I take it that nobody uses Coke ::) 

Twelve full ounces, that's alot. Pepsi Cola hits the spot. Twice as much for a nickle too; Pepsi Cola is the drink for you!  Remember that Double D?  Three quarters of these young whipper-snappers don't.  Nickle beers too.  Buy 2 and get 1 free.

Richard "The Nostalgic" 

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 08:40:13 AM »
oooooohhh could it be because of such small details my wife left me 20 years ago   ;D
lucky then that I hadnt really started to interest me for cannons at that time , at least not the larger models  ::)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 09:10:25 AM »
One gallon of Ballistol is on its way, thanks.  I'll keep it in my WWII "MG OIL" can.

I'm single, so I manganese phosphated gun parts in my kitchen until a nagging dry cough convinced me to stop.

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »
So I take it that nobody uses Coke ::) 

Twelve full ounces, that's alot. Pepsi Cola hits the spot. Twice as much for a nickle too; Pepsi Cola is the drink for you!  Remember that Double D?  Three quarters of these young whipper-snappers don't.  Nickle beers too.  Buy 2 and get 1 free.

Richard "The Nostalgic" 

Yep, Remember sure enough. Also remember collecting pop bottles for the deposti to buy penny candy....this was pre cannon days for sure.

All you guys who do with outr wives, who do you get to clean up after you.  My wife has actually driven 70 miles to pick up a pound of powder for  me while I was at work..

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »
When I don't plan to use a gun for a while, after cleaning with water and Ballistol, I spray the bore with areasol canned lithium grease. It is great for keeping moisture out. A half charge of my blank load removes it when it is play time again.

Offline dynomike1

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
I wished mine smoked that good.