Author Topic: Buckhorn Magnum cunundrum....  (Read 653 times)

Offline Flatlander.54

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Buckhorn Magnum cunundrum....
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
A buddy and I each just got a Buckhorn Magnum recently. His is brand new, mine is lightly used. Sunday we got them out to sight the scopes in and had mixed results. We have some experimenting to do with loads/bullets but started out using identical loads. 100 gr. loose T7 with 250 gr. Shockwaves. My rifle shot wonderful, 1" groups effortlessly. My buddys rifle one the other hand apparently doesnt like the Shockwaves...they tumble end over end and strike the target sideways, but not on every shot.
 His bore seems ok, I checked it out and the rifling seems ok, doesnt cut a tight cleaning patch, and has no burrs on the crown.
the only thing I could think to tell him was maybe his bore needs a little breaking in, and to try the Powerbelts in it before he does anything drastic.  Anyone else had this problem with any CVA rifle? Any help or advise is appreciated, thanks.
"Beware the man who owns but one gun...he likely knows how to use it."

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Buckhorn Magnum cunundrum....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
with powerbelts try the 295 and 348gr aerotips with 80gr pyrodex or triple 7.

I prefer pyrodex and his rifle could prefer pyrodex too.  Hornady great plains conicals in 385 and 410gr with 80gr pyrodex shot 1" groups for me at 100 yards with open sights!

Offline Flatlander.54

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Buckhorn Magnum cunundrum....
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »
Not sure what was wrong but his rifle is shooting fine now, no more tumbling bullets. Maybe a burr somewhere on the rifling or crown that needed knocked down with a few shots...who knows. Mine is still holding in there with 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards shooting 250 gr Shockwaves and 100 or 120 gr of T7 Powder, really no dofference in the size of the group other than 120 gr shoots a tad higher.
"Beware the man who owns but one gun...he likely knows how to use it."