Author Topic: Very Stiff Mod 70 Safety ??  (Read 923 times)

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Very Stiff Mod 70 Safety ??
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:20:11 AM »
 I have 3 Mod 70's. The one in question is about 5 yrs old I bought new, Classic Compact 243. The safety requires way to much force to go back from fire to safe, about 10 times to much. I can deal with it but it's also the household "youth" deer gun. Any ideas on making it easier to move? My 70's vintage 308 safety moves like butter. Thanks
NRA, Veteran

Offline 300S+W

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Very Stiff Mod 70 Safety ??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 01:00:47 AM »
        I've got a late model Mod70 here that belongs to a friend. The "three position" safety feels more like six positions. Some of that last days of Winchester QC.  I would suggest you take it to a gunsmith and have it "timed" as its been explained to me. If you want,you can try calling Browning/Winchester Parts and Service @ 1-800-322-4626 (M-F daytime). They were VERY helpful in getting some parts to me I needed quickly. My friend doesn't use his but if he was to,it would HAVE TO be fixed as I feel it's unsafe as it is. GOOD LUCK and let us know how it goes if you would.

til later

Offline flintlock

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:38:29 AM »

Offline 300S+W

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:17:18 AM »
     THAT"S IT Flintlock!! It's even in the same caliber as my friends rifle. THANK YA!

til later

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:35:02 PM »
 Thanks, that pretty much covers my problem, I'll look into it.
NRA, Veteran

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 03:35:42 PM »
I bought a Mod 70 over the internet.  It had a Tubbs firring pin that was supposed to be very fast.  The safety was horrible.  I bught a Jewell trigger for the rifle and adjusted it so that the trigger was sweet and the safety movement was OK.  I probably lubed and worked the saftey a few hunder times.  Now the rifle has the lightweight firing pin and the Jewell trigger.  Otherwise it is a dirt cheap cammo Mod 70 in 300 WSM.   It is a good shooter now.  Good elk rifle.

Woud I do it again.  Probably not.

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:10:21 AM »
If you can take down the bolt slicking up the safety isn't rocket science but if you alter the safety cam or it's recess in the striker the safety can become dngerous.. A bit of good lubricant such as LocEase which is graphite in a solvent carrier work quite well. Usually just working the safety a bit and application of proper lubrication will make it right..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."