Author Topic: What to start with for targets/back-up woods gun/ hd  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
What to start with for targets/back-up woods gun/ hd
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:28:08 AM »
Dadgummit,  :) I can't make up my mind!!!  -  between a semi-auto or single action in a larger caliber. 

I know single action doesn't get good press as a hd option, but I like the simplicity of my single six.

I'm not interested in cowboy action.

I like the 1911 for it's long history, but I don't like the thought of springs weakening over time.

Which is more challenging/rewarding/efficient/cheaper to reload???

Did you start with one and morf to the other? Shoot both? 

Make a suggestion....PLEASE.

Thanks!!!

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Re: What to start with for targets/back-up woods gun/ hd
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »
Get a Ruger .45 colt bisley and have lots of fun, Load'em wimp to whomp, Then ya get a lever gun to go with it.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »
It was an easy choice for me i got both ;D  but seriously is the single six your only handgun rightnow ? I have a Kimber eclipse 45acp and a SS Ruger bisley  45lc/45acp convertable and would rather have the the kimber for home defence and pulling a little double duty until i got a blackhawk . I got the 1911 first because it was more expensive so i didn't have to wait so long for my next gun purchase .

Offline rbergum95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 02:31:23 PM »
get whichever one you really want. in either scenario it would be better to have what you shoot well, no matter what the caliber, than one you cant shoot well. i have a bisley .45 colt/.45 acp convertible that i am always comfortable with, although my 4/58 standard stainless blackhawk is my normal "woods gun". i also have a 1911 that i keep for home defense but if i could have only one of them it would be the blackhawk and i wouldnt look back, it will pull any duty i ask of it and just keep shooting. go with your gut.

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 01:35:07 AM »
Get another Ruger single action.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 02:13:38 AM »
Why not expand your options to include a double action revolver. I have a Ruger single action .357 and a Bisley .45 Colt, however the guns that I shoot the most are the double action S&W revolvers. The 4 inch Model 625 is an awesome handgun. You can shoot .45ACP or .45Autorim cartridges and load it to any reasonable power level you desire. I complement it with a Model 617 .22 rimfire.

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
I like SA sixguns, but for one to do double duty as a HD gun and a decent woods gun, I'd be looking at a 4" stainless DA .357. Either a Ruger or S&W would do just fine. If you plan to reload, a Ruger BlackHawk in .45LC would be hard to beat.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »
I'd get a Ruger Blackhawk.  If you want a double action get a S&W.  I would avoid semi-autos.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 02:32:48 AM »
I rarely hear them mentioned as a "Woods Gun" but a Glock mdl 20 would do everything you want it to do other than being a dedicated hunting gun. Much more rugged than any revolver, and close to the power of the .357. Add to that 15+1 rds onboard, and the ability to mount a light, excellent home defense pistol!!
Savage

Offline superdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 06:51:09 AM »
another choice would be the 1911 in 10mm although i don't feel undergunned with 45acp+p 230grn hornady i also have a 629 4'' not the mountain gun it is also a fine choice. I sold the glock 20 i had because the grip had to much girth for me and it felt awkward when recoiling. polymer frame/steel slide very top heavy . not a bad gun in any capacity as far as function or accuracy . even though i have all three 629 , 1911 , 45 blackhawk i always have the 1911 on me and that's important to me.

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »
I never go anywhere where I would feel undergunned with a 1911 in .45acp. If I did, I have a rifle to go with it. As superdown aluded to, the 1911 in 10mm or .45acp would be a good choice as well.
Savage

Offline Stuart C.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 03:36:43 AM »
Thanks for all the interesting feedback. SD, Yes my single six (Bisley model) is currently my only handgun. Unbelievably accurate (much more than I am).

A .45 in a Bisley would make a nice practice pair.

I'm definately not into glocks but shot them once.

Thinking about a Vaquero in 45 only because the fixed sights might be a little less prone to get knocked out of adjustment than the adjustable sights on the BH.   ???

Offline superdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:23 AM »
the vaquero is an excellent choice but i would not worry at all about sights on a blackhawk getting knocked out of adjustment i have never had a set of sights get knocked out alignment on any handgun. also the new vaquero can NOT take the heavy loads if you want one that can you need to get an older one or get a blackhawk.

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 09:20:40 AM »
The sights on my BlackHawk .45 convertable look to be pretty sturdy like the rest of the gun. I would not hesitate to carry it as a woods gun. I would consider the adjustable sights to be an advantage over the groove and blade of the Vaquero for field use.
Savage

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »
I'm bad on acronyms so, what's a hd option?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Savage

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 12:17:18 AM »
I'm bad on acronyms so, what's a hd option?

:D :D  Me Too!!!!

HD: Home Defense

Savage

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 01:47:21 AM »
pick yourself up a 4 inch redhawk in 44 mag. Its compact enough for ccw or woods cary. Its powerful and accurate enough for hunting just about any game animal. It can be shot with 44 specials for plinking or for home defense or ccw carrying.  Pretty versitile gun! One other choise woud be a 4 inch 629. Youd end up with a slightly lighter more compact gun thats just as accurate and what your giving up is the abiltity to shoot really heavy loads with heavier bullets that make the 44 capable of taking game bigger then deer and bear.
blue lives matter

Offline Stuart C.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 02:17:52 AM »
i would not worry at all about sights on a blackhawk getting knocked out of adjustment i have never had a set of sights get knocked out alignment on any handgun.

The sights on my BlackHawk .45 convertable look to be pretty sturdy like the rest of the gun. I would not hesitate to carry it as a woods gun. I would consider the adjustable sights to be an advantage over the groove and blade of the Vaquero for field use.
Savage

I don't doubt that for a minute, it's just my personal 'less is more' hangup.  Point well taken.

pick yourself up a 4 inch redhawk in 44 mag. Its compact enough for ccw or woods cary. Its powerful and accurate enough for hunting just about any game animal. It can be shot with 44 specials for plinking or for home defense or ccw carrying.  Pretty versitile gun! One other choise woud be a 4 inch 629. Youd end up with a slightly lighter more compact gun thats just as accurate and what your giving up is the abiltity to shoot really heavy loads with heavier bullets that make the 44 capable of taking game bigger then deer and bear.

Great advice from experienced folks.  Lloyd you're a single action guy  8), right? Your well thought out advice on a double action is gonna cost me money ie another gun :D :D.