Author Topic: Scope for 20GA USH  (Read 681 times)

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Scope for 20GA USH
« on: August 27, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »
Time to purchase a scope for the new 20GA USH. I am leaning towards the Bushnell shotgun scope for cantilevered barrels, it has 6" eye relief. Can you have too much eye relief? I have a 3 X 9 X 40 on the .223 handi, but I think that will be to much magnification and it has only 3.1" eye relief. JamesIII

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Scope for 20GA USH
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
The Nikon Prostaff shotgun 2-7x32 is a great scope for under $130, I have several of them, one (camo version)is on my 500S&W Handi mounted in low Leupold PRW rings with a slight hammer modification(see FAQs), it works great with its 3.9"-3.8" of eye relief.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:48:06 AM »
I recently just got an USH in a 12 gauge.  The scope I put on it is called the Nikon slughunter 3-9-40 , which has the BDC reticle.         
When looking at the cross hairs their is four lines or circles, the first line is a 50 yard, second line is 100 yard, the third line is 150 yards , and finally the fourth line is 200 yards.  What this will do is instead of aiming six inches high at  150 yards all you do is take the 150 line in the cross hairs and aim right at it meaning it does the compensating for you.  It sounds pretty complicated, but it is worth the price of admission .  Also the price on this slug gun scope is 250.00 dollars, it also has a 5 inch eye relief. 

Hope this helps

Buckshooter   

"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 07:15:20 PM »
I have a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 Scope on my 12GA USH...I love the scope...So much that I purchased a second one for my Rem 870 12GA slugger...You can find them for under $100 just about anywhere...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 03:43:18 AM »
I have both the 12 and the 20 USH and BOTH have Leupold VXII matte 1x4X20 SHOTGUN scopes on them with the heavy duplex. Nice eye relief, great optics and its a Leupold!!

I also like the Trophy scopes, but never recomend them for a Handy as that adj ring is to damn big and causes you to have to mount it way too high.

Recently on some of the guys on here prompting, I have tried the Nikon and Pentax scopes. Both are nice, I do really like the fixed power Pentax. The pro Staff Nikon didn't offer the "full View" I like.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JohnnyMac007

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 07:32:43 AM »
I recently just got an USH in a 12 gauge.  The scope I put on it is called the Nikon slughunter 3-9-40 , which has the BDC reticle.         
When looking at the cross hairs their is four lines or circles, the first line is a 50 yard, second line is 100 yard, the third line is 150 yards , and finally the fourth line is 200 yards.  What this will do is instead of aiming six inches high at  150 yards all you do is take the 150 line in the cross hairs and aim right at it meaning it does the compensating for you.  It sounds pretty complicated, but it is worth the price of admission .  Also the price on this slug gun scope is 250.00 dollars, it also has a 5 inch eye relief. 

Hope this helps

Buckshooter   

I have the same scope for my 20ga. USH. 

It is a great scope and I've never seen the eye relief this scope has on any other scope.  To be honest, every time I mount the gun, I end up having to pull my head back after years of shooting short eye relief scopes.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:43:08 AM »
I've got two of the Nikon Omega scopes with 5" of eye relief, one is the BDC 250 on the SS 45-70 Ultra and the other is the Omega muzzleloader scope with the Nikoplex reticle on a 338 Win mag, great glass for about $200.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain