Author Topic: Scope power on bull barrel handi? power range decided, need input on my choices  (Read 1734 times)

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
What power scopes are you guys using on bull barreled handis?  I have a 24" 223 that I would like to use for target and varmint use.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Scope power on bull barrel handi?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
My 223 wears a Leupold VXII 3X9 AO scope.

I have a number of Ultra Hunters/Varmints and they all wear Leupold VXII's mostly 2X7's and a couple 3X9's. The 2X7 is a all time favorite of mine, the shotgun version in particular is great on the pistol calibers and slug guns!!! All of mine are in Weaver (re-cut) or Ultra bases with Leupold PRW/QRW rings, med or lo height.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »
Nothing less than 12-42x NF, I have a couple 20-60x March's...

It all depends what you wanna do with it.  Just target, maybe a Weaver 36x or 24x.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »
high magnification is desirable for target work and bench shooting , for hunting I find a low power more useful bigger f.o.v. easier acquisition. but this is just my preference
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 01:54:04 AM »
For hunting I like the 3-9X50s and for distance varmint and target I like 6-24X50.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 02:25:51 AM »
The Bushnell 6500's could be an excellent multi-purpose scope.

Offline NMUltra

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »
My .223 Ultra has a 6.5x24 AO.  I tend to leave it at 16 or 18 power - it seems to be the best balance between heat blur and clarity for targets out to 300 yards.
Always dally thumb up

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 07:24:32 AM »
I find that for a .223 a 4-14 is the perfect setup for both.  Enough mag. to let you taget/group, and low enough setting to hunt the woods if you wish... It also depends on how much money your willing to dump into the optic.  A lower end scope i.e. BSA, Barska, Tasco, Swift, cheaper bushnells, ect might have a x24 setting, but most likely (in my experience) the higher end power settings appear "foggy" or glazed and they work best on about 18-20x.  Leupolds, Nikon, Ziess don't have that issue  bad but they will run you 2x-3x the money.  For the money (100-150) a bushnell banner seems to be a great scope.  Both 6-18 x 50's w/ A/O , i've been able to use on 18 power without too much fuss...
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 07:41:50 AM »
I find that for a .223 a 4-14 is the perfect setup for both.  Enough mag. to let you taget/group, and low enough setting to hunt the woods if you wish... It also depends on how much money your willing to dump into the optic.  A lower end scope i.e. BSA, Barska, Tasco, Swift, cheaper bushnells, ect might have a x24 setting, but most likely (in my experience) the higher end power settings appear "foggy" or glazed and they work best on about 18-20x.  Leupolds, Nikon, Ziess don't have that issue  bad but they will run you 2x-3x the money.  For the money (100-150) a bushnell banner seems to be a great scope.  Both 6-18 x 50's w/ A/O , i've been able to use on 18 power without too much fuss...
[/b]

I was looking at the 6-18 banner as one of my options.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 07:57:25 AM »
Both the Banner 6-18x50's i've had have shot excellant!  The first one I bought had a paint fleck, or slag or bedding stuck the the rear lens after I had shot it.  I had mounted it to at least 5 different rifles and called bushnell who told me to send it back.  A couple of weeks later, I recieved a new scope in the mail, only the new one was threaded to accept a sunshade.  I've been very happy!  Customer service is good and you don't have to jump through hoops to get anything done w/ them.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »
i have a bushnell banner 4x12x40 AO on my .223 bull barrel its a fantastic scope
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline walkingwolf

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 09:15:53 AM »

BSA 8-32 ao   very nice scope
Don't smoke in bed the Assh you save may be your own

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »
My 223 scope vote would be for the 4.5-14x40 Mueller APV, a very popular scope and at $115 shipped, you won't beat the optics unless you spend a fair amount more money. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,121737.msg1098413929.html#msg1098413929

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »
I agree... Muellers are a decent scope for the money also.  They seem to lack eye relief though, but that goes for any lower end scope.  What I like about most Muellers is that a lot of them come w/ an illuminated target dot :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 01:19:40 PM »
That's one of the nice things about the APV, it has a standard duplex reticle, something Mueller has been asked to offer more of, they only offer 3 scopes that aren't illuminated, it's one of em. If I didn't have 3 Simmons ATVs, I'd have an APV which was modeled after the ATV but with a finer reticle, I donated an ATV to Mueller 4yrs ago for evaluation and cloning, the APV is the result of that endeavor, it's a tremendously popular scope, priced right with good glass.  The Brown 97D is the same scope with some upgraded features, but priced a step up in price range at $160. ;)

Tim

http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,132102.msg1098494689.html#msg1098494689
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »
I'll second what Tim said I also have that scope on my .223 fluted bull. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 03:28:46 AM »
I have a 223 24" Bull barrel. I have an old Bushnell Banner that is a straight 10X with bullet drop turrets. They do not make this scope any more, it is an old one, but a goodie. The Mueller APV has been mentioned here. I happen to own three of them. They are a very good scope for the money spent. I am presently using a 10X, and think it is plenty of power, but the APV is adjustable to that power setting and that is where I set mine at, unless I am at the bench or real close and I turn it down for that. I have confidence in setting the power at different levels with out throwing the zero off. The windage and elevation adjustments seems to work like it supposed to. As mentioned it does not have a powered reticule. That is the way I like mine. I also have a Mueller Tactical that is an 8X - 25X that is a very good scope, but to me it is strictly a bench type scope. Shooting it in the field, I turn it down to 10X and kind of defeats the purpose of a high powdered scope. If you get the impression, that I like 10X scopes you would be correct, I think they are just the right balance for a varmint gun that is carried afield. I also have a Bushnell 10X 3200 (about $200). It is a sweet scope and I will have more of them before long.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »
Scope shopping. ??? :-\ :-\

I stopped at a nearby Gander Mountain store today.  They have all of their scopes mounted and on display so you can try them.   I played with every scope they had in the store.   I know you can't tell all by looking through one in the store, but I could view both a bright corner of the very large store, and a dark one.  I could also read various signs around the store to check clarity.

I have come to a conclusion that a scope that works good to one persons eyes, may be terrible to another.  I would imagine this is due to differences in eyesight.  all eyes are different, so it makes sense that they would see differently through a particular scope.  Some of the scopes (in all price ranges) that are highly recommended, just didn't work with my eyes.   One of the issues that seem to affect me is the eye relief range.  I don't know if there is a spec. for this or not.  With some you could move your head forward and back in relation to the scope about an inch or more and still maintain a full picture, and some no more than about a quarter of an inch.  I had trouble with the later type.

I am not the type to spend a large amount on a scope, but I do pass on the cheapest models.  Most of my scopes are Bushnell Banners, or Trophies.  For my 223 I have decided on something around a 4-16 power.  I looked at banners and trophies, and found that what looks good in a 2-7, or 3-9, may not be good in a higher power scope.  Both of these models in the 4-16 range were very hazy at high magnification.  I looked at the Nikon prostaff and had the same issue, along with the earlier mentioned narrow eye relief. (I have looked at the prostaff in the past in lower powers, and had the same eye relief issue). I checked the Buckmaster, and monarch, and had the same issues.  Nikon scopes just don't work with my eyes.  I had the same "eye relief" problem with all Leupold scopes.  I ruled out all the BSA and Barska models because they were very hazy , although did not have the Eye relief issue.  I also ruled out the Ziess and Swarovski scopes for price reasons only.  The $1500-$1800 Swarovskis were incredible though.  I never even picked up the tascos. 

Of all the scopes I looked at, besides the ultra high end ones, I found the Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40 to be the best they had for my eyes.  I was clear through the entire range of magnification, had no haze, and did not have the eye relief issue.  I still want to check the Mueller APV, and the pentax gameseeker, but they didn't carry those brands.

Kevin

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
I've decided to go with a scope in the 4-18 range.  As you can read above and thanks to the input from you guys.  Here are some of the scopes I am looking at in my price range.  Let me know what you guys think.   

Pentax Gameseeker 4-16x50
Meuller APV 4.5-14x40
Bushnell Legend 5-15x40
Bushnell trophy 6-18x40

Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40
Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x50    These 2 are about $100 more than the scopes above, and more than I wanted to spend, but still possible.

I haven't been able to get a hands on look at the Pentax, Meuller, or legend yet, but still let me know what you guys think.

The pentax has no AO.  This is unusual for a scope of theis magnification.  How much of a problem is it?

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline mitch132

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Scope power on bull barrel handi? power range decided, need input on my choi
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »
My .243 wears a Simmons 6-24x44mm SF Pro Hunter Mil-Dot with side focus and target turrets. At just under $200 if you shop around, it's not a bad scope for the money. Granted I also have a Ziess Diavari T* 6-24x56mm and it is noticeably better, but I cannot see spending more for a scope than I did for the rifle. My H&R Ultra gets a $200 scope. My custom, all out, spare no expense .308 wears a $2000 Zeiss.

I have a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40mm that I put on a .17 HM2 and the eye relief is very short. Very clear optics even on highest magnification.

My 7.62x39 has a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x50mm and I am very pleased with it. Even with only 9x as its highest magnification, I can easily see targets at 100 yards due to the excellent quality of the lenses.

I think you are looking in the right ballpark of magnification, and wise to stay away from brands like BSA, NCstar, Barska, etc. Some have had luck with these, many have been disappointed. Good luck!

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
Another thing to consider on the lower end scopes, is that the eye relief will change w/ the power spectrum.  On my BSA Catseye, it has about 4" of eye relief when set on 3 power but only about 3" when set on 10 power.  I found that extremely annoying when I had it mounted to my AR15 as the stock is short.  This is why i'm going to make the jump to leupolds, or nikon monarchs.  They are moderately priced and glass/eye relief are a lot more consistant.  Besides, if you can't see it, you can't shoot it... :)

Offline togojeff

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
I have the Legend 5-15x40 on my Ultra Varmint .223 and am very pleased with it.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Bushnell 3200 Elite 4-12X40
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
I've heard nothing but good things about the bushnell 3200's

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
I might catch some flak here but, here goes anyway...

I have a few BSA 'Sweet' Scopes (Sweet 17 and Sweet 243 to name a couple) and felt pretty good about them so I found a BSA 6-24X40 at Sportsmans Guide for around $65.

I mounted it on my 223 Ultra II. I am noe shooting consistant sub-MOA groups at 100yds with bullets weighing 60gr or better. My Ultra doesn't like the light stuff.

I have found that in these low recoil rifles the BSA's hold up pretty well and are pretty clear...especially for the price.

I have a Browning 3-9X40 (Elite 3200 based) on my Savage 10FP LE2 (.308 Win) temporarily until my Sweet 223 Scope comes in. You just gotta love trajectory compensating Scopes...they are 'Sweet'!

Just my 2¢

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
I have been a Bushnell fan all my life. All my guns wear Bushnells. My H&R 223 bull wears the 5-15X40 Legend series. The Legend series used to be the ScopeChief series that was renamed after Bushnell aquired the Bausch and Lomb scope Division, and they came out with the 3200,4200, and now the 6500 series. The new 6500 series scopes were and are built to be the Ultimate in optics, the wide range in power make it the most versitile scope on the market.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
I have been a Bushnell fan all my life. All my guns wear Bushnells. My H&R 223 bull wears the 5-15X40 Legend series. The Legend series used to be the ScopeChief series that was renamed after Bushnell aquired the Bausch and Lomb scope Division, and they came out with the 3200,4200, and now the 6500 series. The new 6500 series scopes were and are built to be the Ultimate in optics, the wide range in power make it the most versitile scope on the market.

How does your legend compare to the 3200?  Are you satisfied with it, or if you had to do it again would you get a 3200?

Thanks!!

Kevin

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
I would go for that Bushnell 3200 5-15x, friend just bought one and he was smacking steel at 735 yards with a stock 243 and that scope.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
I just went from 4-12 to 4.5-14.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
"The new 6500 series scopes were and are built to be the Ultimate in optics, the wide range in power make it the most versitile scope on the market."

For the price they are good, but I don't think I would go so far as to say they are the "Ulitmate in optics..."  First you'd have to rule out Ziess, Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, Leupold...U.S. Optics... I'd say the ultimate in optics is a scope you can use as a hammer if you need to... :)